ADVERTISEMENT

Airbus planes keep falling from the skies

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
We should know in a few days why the Germanwings plane went down today. The cockpit voice recorder has been discovered. It's been a bad few years for Airbus. One flew into a mountain in France, one disappeared somewhere in an arc from Kazakhstan to the southern Indian Ocean, and one was shot down by Russian led forces over Ukraine. The Miracle on the Hudson flight that Sully Sullenberger crash landed into the Hudson River was an Airbus jet. Plus, there was the Air France flight that went down over the Atlantic.

Originally posted by IMCC965:
Were those Malaysian planes Airbus's as well? That would be VERY bad.
The one the Russian's shot down was an Airbus. A separatist pushed the button, but, a Russian brought them the missile launcher, set it up, showed them how to use it, and was probably working the tracking radar. So, I say the Russians shot it down.
The other I am pretty confident was an Airbus.

If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going.

Actually, the Airbus 320 has a very good safety record and has been around a long, long time. But I still much prefer to be on a Boeing.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

Actually, the Airbus 320 has a very good safety record and has been around a long, long time. But I still much prefer to be on a Boeing.
There has been quite a few Boeings crash and burn as well. They had a lot of problems with rudder controls for awhile.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by TJ8869:

There has been quite a few Boeings crash and burn as well. They had a lot of problems with rudder controls for awhile.
I know. I just don't like the idea of the pilots being unable to fly the airplane. At least on planes with American crews. Maybe on planes with crews that were trained elsewhere, it's better to have the airplane fly itself than let the crew run things.

I know. I just don't like the idea of the pilots being unable to fly the airplane. At least on planes with American crews. Maybe on planes with crews that were trained elsewhere, it's better to have the airplane fly itself than let the crew run things.
This was a German crew. You have to assume they were well trained and disciplined, and that the plane itself was well maintained. I believe I heard the captain had 10,000 hours of flight time. Still, it does seem like Airbus has had a disproportionate number of accidents.
Remember when Boeing was criticized for it's continual delays in the rollout of it's latest generation of planes? Maybe they are just more cautious than Airbus.

Have they said if there was any weather at the altitude the plane was at?

Air France Airbus over the Atlantic - hit bad weather, pitot tubes freeze up, pilot stalls plane due to bad reading

AirAsia - Bad weather, frozen pitot tubes?

Statistically the AIrbus A320 is as safe an airplane as ever made. The most used airliner in the world. The industry's "work horse" as it were. I heard a discussion today somewhere about pilots cannot override the 'puters on Airbuses but they can on Boeings.

The owner of a campground near the crash site, Pierre Polizzi, said he heard the aircraft making strange noises just before it crashed.

"I heard a series of loud noises in the air," he said.

"There are often fighter jets flying over, so I thought it sounded just like that. I looked outside, but I couldn't see any fighter planes.

"The noise I heard was long - like eight seconds - as if the plane was going more slowly than a military plane speed. There was another long noise after about 30 seconds."

The air and weather was supposedly calm, there were no distress calls from the pilots, and the plane was disintegrated in the air. I'm going with overhead meteor explosion. The shockwave is what caused the disintegration of the plane and the booms the campgound owner heard were the sonic booms of the meteor breaking up.

The only question is how can the media spin this to be Putin's fault.
This post was edited on 3/24 10:45 PM by Chuck C

Originally posted by joelbc1:
Statistically the AIrbus A320 is as safe an airplane as ever made. The most used airliner in the world. The industry's "work horse" as it were. I heard a discussion today somewhere about pilots cannot override the 'puters on Airbuses but they can on Boeings.
That's one of my concerns about Airbus. In this case, for instance, suppose the angle-of-attack sensor and/or the airspeed sensor (frozen pitot tube) were telling the computer that the plane was flying too slowly and approaching stall speed. The computer would lower the nose. My understanding is that in this case, the pilots couldn't do anything about it, even though they would be able to see what was happening.

My other concern about Airbus is the lack of backup for the fly-by-wire. The Boeings have mechanical connections that allow the pilots to use the controls if there is a catastrophic failure of the electronics. The airbus doesn't.

I hope that cylinder on the left is the important part of the black box

150324-germanwings-data-recorder-mn-0830_98a81d83af9fc401ef4f10fb0e1ea680.nbcnews-ux-1360-900.jpg

Fascinating coverage this morning. There was no distress call as initially reported. The initial decent seems to have been controlled. They apparently flew for miles after reaching 6000 feet. What circumstances could have prevented the crew from broadcasting something?

Originally posted by lucas80:
Fascinating coverage this morning. There was no distress call as initially reported. The initial decent seems to have been controlled. They apparently flew for miles after reaching 6000 feet. What circumstances could have prevented the crew from broadcasting something?
Well, even though Obama ruled out terrorism before the rubble stopped bouncing, it might be worth considering.

Well, even though Obama ruled out terrorism before the rubble stopped bouncing, it might be worth considering.
I thought it was weird to watch a lot of the coverage yesterday to see media folks saying there was no terrorism link, but they couldn't rule it out. Terrorism is a sexier story, sadly.
I don't totally discount terrorism, but in today's environment there would have been a claim of responsibility made.

I thought the rudder control issues were caused by faulty jack screws on DC10/MD11's, which were not Boing planes....

I'm trying to remember a systemic mechanical issue on any of the Boing passenger fleet, and I'm having trouble coming up with one.

Wasn't the cargo hatch problem also the DC/MD line?

Pitot sensors Airbus?

Originally posted by linkshero:

I thought the rudder control issues were caused by faulty jack screws on DC10/MD11's, which were not Boing planes....

I'm trying to remember a systemic mechanical issue on any of the Boing passenger fleet, and I'm having trouble coming up with one.

Wasn't the cargo hatch problem also the DC/MD line?

Pitot sensors Airbus?
Boeing 737 was the one with the rudder control problems. The Douglass heavy had some problems, too.

We should know in a few days why the Germanwings plane went down today. The cockpit voice recorder has been discovered. It's been a bad few years for Airbus. One flew into a mountain in France, one disappeared somewhere in an arc from Kazakhstan to the southern Indian Ocean, and one was shot down by Russian led forces over Ukraine. The Miracle on the Hudson flight that Sully Sullenberger crash landed into the Hudson River was an Airbus jet. Plus, there was the Air France flight that went down over the Atlantic.
Those damn government run corporations failed us again.

You know, I've wondered: you're allowed what, two ounce containers of liquids onboard planes... what if you had two bottles of sulfuric acid and two of potassium cyanide, and poured them together on the plane. That would make a lot of cyanide gas, like the gas chamber. Enough to do in everybody on board?

Not necessarily pilot suicide. The lone pilot in the cockpit could have had a medical emergency and passed out. Huge violation to not have two people in the cockpit at all times. If a pilot comes out to use the restroom, a flight attendant is supposed to go in the cockpit until the pilot returns. It certainly was not an airplane malfunction.

Originally posted by SCHawkFan:
Not necessarily pilot suicide. The lone pilot in the cockpit could have had a medical emergency and passed out. Huge violation to not have two people in the cockpit at all times. If a pilot comes out to use the restroom, a flight attendant is supposed to go in the cockpit until the pilot returns. It certainly was not an airplane malfunction.

This is just off the Drudge Report. The New York times is reportijng that the pilot wqas locked out of the cocpit
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/world/europe/germanwings-airbus-crash.html?_r=0

French say plane was crashed on purpose.

"Reuters) - The
co-pilot of the Germanwings airliner that crashed in the French Alps
killing all 150 people aboard appears to have brought the A320 Airbus
down deliberately, the Marseille prosecutor said on Thursday.

German Andreas Lubitz,
28, left in sole control of the Airbus A320 after the captain left the
cockpit, refused to re-open the door and operated a control that sent
the plane into its final, fatal descent, the prosecutor told a news
conference."

It Appears to be Official - Murder Suicide

I fly a lot and cannot imagine how terrifying this would be for the passengers. Passenger screams were picked up on the voice recorder a little before impact when they figured out what was going on.

I was listening to a few minutes of this yesterday on satellite radio while driving. I think it was MSNBC but not sure. They had an aviation expert who said the pilot should have tried to break down the bulkhead wall instead of the cockpit door because, according to him, those walls also provide access to the cockpit and are easier to breach than a locked door. I thought it was nice of him to provide that bit of information for future hijackers and terrorists.

Originally posted by steam_o_us:
Completely wrong on the two people in the cockpit. It's only required on US flights.
Another example of good government regulation. I bet several EU nations adopt them soon.

This post was edited on 3/26 2:48 PM by naturalmwa

Originally posted by naturalmwa:

Completely wrong on the two people in the cockpit. It's only required on US flights.
Another example of good government regulation. I bet several EU nations adopt them soon.

This post was edited on 3/26 2:48 PM by naturalmwa
Happened today. Or maybe it was just Lufthansa that said it was going to change its policy.

And you are correct. It is an example of good government regulation.

Originally posted by SCHawkFan:
I fly a lot and cannot imagine how terrifying this would be for the passengers. Passenger screams were picked up on the voice recorder a little before impact when they figured out what was going on.
That was my thought, too. How horrible to realize what was going on as you see the ground steadily climbing below you.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:

It's a good, common sense idea, especially in the event that some sort of medical emergency occurs. I'm not sure, though, that it would have helped much in this particular case. If the co-pilot was hell-bent on bringing down the plane then I'm not sure Tiffani the Flight Attendant would have been able to do much about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT