ADVERTISEMENT

Lou Conter, the last survivor from the USS Arizona has passed away

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Conter was a 20 year old quartermaster standing on the deck of the Arizona when the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor began. He assisted in getting fellow sailors off of the burning ship, and rescued some badly injured men from the water.
If that wasn't enough for a lifetime, he went on to earn his wings and flew 200 missions in the South Pacific as a PBY pilot. He and his crew were shot down near New Guinea and spent several hours treading water until they were rescued. Overall he spent 28 years in the Navy.
We were in Arizona a few weeks ago and I read an article in the Arizona Republic that there is an attack submarine under construction right now that will carry the name USS Arizona. The first ship to carry that name since 1941.
https://apnews.com/article/pearl-ha...r-lou-conter-e4fdc131104be724691c364177e55076

Conter was a 20 year old quartermaster standing on the deck of the Arizona when the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor began. He assisted in getting fellow sailors off of the burning ship, and rescued some badly injured men from the water.
If that wasn't enough for a lifetime, he went on to earn his wings and flew 200 missions in the South Pacific as a PBY pilot. He and his crew were shot down near New Guinea and spent several hours treading water until they were rescued. Overall he spent 28 years in the Navy.
We were in Arizona a few weeks ago and I read an article in the Arizona Republic that there is an attack submarine under construction right now that will carry the name USS Arizona. The first ship to carry that name since 1941.
https://apnews.com/article/pearl-ha...r-lou-conter-e4fdc131104be724691c364177e55076
RIP Mr Conter and thank you for your service. That’s a fvcking hero right there.

I've twice visited Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial. Seeing the USS Arizona oil still seeping to the surface and thinking of the over 900 service members interned within was quite impactful. Conter certainly made the most of the rest of his military service. RIP. If you've not been to Pearl Harbor, put it on your bucket list.

My dad joined the Navy on his 17th birthday in 1944 to help avenge Pearl Harbor. By the time he got his basic training done and was assigned a ship, they dropped the bomb and the war was over. He spent the next 4 years bringing men and equipment back to Hawaii, not really what he thought he’d be doing. Every time he got to the Philippines he got a new tattoo, four in all. He died last month a few weeks shy of his 96th birthday. RIP dad…

My dad joined the Navy on his 17th birthday in 1944 to help avenge Pearl Harbor. By the time he got his basic training done and was assigned a ship, they dropped the bomb and the war was over. He spent the next 4 years bringing men and equipment back to Hawaii, not really what he thought he’d be doing. Every time he got to the Philippines he got a new tattoo, four in all. He died last month a few weeks shy of his 96th birthday. RIP dad…
My old man and his younger brother both were Navy late in WW2. Pops was assigned to be a corpsman since his dad was a pharmacist. He used to piss the Marines at basic off as he outshot them on the range and earned a Marksman badge. He was a righty at everything but shooting a weapon, which oddly enough he did with his offhand.
He somehow contracted malaria while waiting in Boston to ship out and never deployed.
My brothers and I paid the price for years for the med training Pops received. He was the king of the home made butterfly bandage instead of taking us in for stitches. He used horse liniment on us for abrasions, pulled teeth, etc… We tried to hide any injury, lest he would pull out his “kit”.
Uncle Jim was a bit younger and was assigned to the Pacific Theatre. He was underway when VJ Day was declared.
All of those guys did what they were asked/told to do. RIP in peace, Vets.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT