ADVERTISEMENT

Airplane Turbulence Is Getting More Common And Severe...

Joes Place

HR King
Aug 28, 2003

...wonder if older airframes are designed to handle the more frequent and more severe stuff....
Best thing Trump ever did was get the United States out of that wretched Paris climate agreement.

Probably part of the reason heaven and earth and every norm are being destroyed to stop him from becoming president again.
Big Climate is a very powerful and evil machine.

...wonder if older airframes are designed to handle the more frequent and more severe stuff....
This type of nonsense does not help your case. Give me a fvcking break.

Reactions: SA_Hawk
gallery-1452895628-wing3.gif

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Listened to an AV podcast that said that Singapore Air flight experienced 3Gs in that turbulence. Bumpy

• Wow
Reactions: TheCainer

Gotta love that scientific picture of all turbulence in 1979 compared to all turbulence in 2020.

This type of nonsense does not help your case. Give me a fvcking break.

What "type of nonsense"?

Published research?

Williams and others published a study in 2019, suggesting higher atmospheric temperatures, a result of global warming, have contributed significantly to more turbulence. Severe incidents of airplane turbulence increased by 55 percent from 1979 to 2020, per a study last year. And wind shear—the sudden change in wind strength or direction, over a short distance—at airplane cruising altitudes has increased by 15 percent since 1979, a trend expected to further increase by between 17 percent and 29 percent by the end of the century.

In the atmosphere, warmer air can hold more water vapor, giving rise to even warmer temperatures in turn. This can create differences in air temperature, the researchers write, making wind shear more common. Their findings suggest that turbulence strong enough to pose a risk of injury could become two or three times more likely over the North Atlantic between 2050 and 2080.

What "type of nonsense"?

Published research?

Williams and others published a study in 2019, suggesting higher atmospheric temperatures, a result of global warming, have contributed significantly to more turbulence. Severe incidents of airplane turbulence increased by 55 percent from 1979 to 2020, per a study last year. And wind shear—the sudden change in wind strength or direction, over a short distance—at airplane cruising altitudes has increased by 15 percent since 1979, a trend expected to further increase by between 17 percent and 29 percent by the end of the century.

In the atmosphere, warmer air can hold more water vapor, giving rise to even warmer temperatures in turn. This can create differences in air temperature, the researchers write, making wind shear more common. Their findings suggest that turbulence strong enough to pose a risk of injury could become two or three times more likely over the North Atlantic between 2050 and 2080.
lol, sure. No other possible explanation than man made climate change? Is that your assertion based on this research? Because, from where I’m standing, it’s pretty weak.

Wing flex tests are done at 150% of the normal maximum flex experienced in flight.

The limit of validity (LOV) of an aircraft is generally listed in terms of flight cycles, flight time, or a combination of both.

I have faith in the airplanes handling turbulence but i’ve had half a dozen flights get rocked since the first of this year.
It’s been worse than i can remember.

lol, sure. No other possible explanation than man made climate change?

It's due to atmospheric warming.

Which, coincidentally, IS currently being driven primarily by humans.
The atmospheric turbulence doesn't care what the "forcings" are.

Wing flex tests are done at 150% of the normal maximum flex experienced in flight.

The limit of validity (LOV) of an aircraft is generally listed in terms of flight cycles, flight time, or a combination of both.

And, with higher levels of turbulence in typical flights, those times may end up needing to be reduced. They are based on average amounts of stresses, which are increasing compared to 20 yrs ago.

Insane turbulence Frontier Flight 226 - What is going on?!? Put this thing on the ground

Useful; but that type of cycling cannot mimic resonances set up during turbulence, which can be much faster and more violent.

I am really into aviation kind of stuff and I have never heard of an airframe being compromised due to heavy turbulence.

I don't know everything, maybe I have missed something, but this seems highly unlikely.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I am really into aviation kind of stuff and I have never heard of an airframe being compromised due to heavy turbulence.

I don't know everything, maybe I have missed something, but this seems highly unlikely.

Not compromised

Aging faster

This whole thread is stupid. But yes weather and the rides are getting worse.

CSB time....

Last month I was flying home from Raleigh. The departure was delayed about an hour (and I'm sure the pilot and crew just wanted to get there as fast as possible, too as it was probably their last flight of the day), so the captain said something along the lines of, "We're going to be cruising at 38,000 feet to try and make up some time for you folks. However, it's going to be bumpy up there, so there won't be any drinks or snacks service. Seat belt lights will remain on for the duration of the flight."

CSB time....

Last month I was flying home from Raleigh. The departure was delayed about an hour (and I'm sure the pilot and crew just wanted to get there as fast as possible, too as it was probably their last flight of the day), so the captain said something along the lines of, "We're going to be cruising at 38,000 feet to try and make up some time for you folks. However, it's going to be bumpy up there, so there won't be any drinks or snacks service. Seat belt lights will remain on for the duration of the flight."

You'll enjoy the mentour pilot videos on YouTube. He's a good pilot and explains all facets of aviation very effectively.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
CSB time....

Idk about anyone else here but I always leave my seat belt on anyways.

Even at cruising altitude if the cabin was breached right next to you a seat belt is what could keep you from flying out.

And, with higher levels of turbulence in typical flights, those times may end up needing to be reduced. They are based on average amounts of stresses, which are increasing compared to 20 yrs ago.

Depends. Just evaluating based off flight cycles (not flight time) does not really account for stress from turbulence, but rather stress from pressurization. A flight from Miami to Tampa counts as the same cycle as Miami to LA (cabin pressures not being taken into account for simplicity). LOV is a fairly conservative value, and airframes can “extend” their life. The FAA requires this value, so they would obviously be heavily involved in determining whether current practice is sufficient (methods certifying LOV, as well as parameters evaluated).

Testing for wing flex, or gust analysis, is a little more complicated of an issue and has generally been evaluated using ramp/gradient, sharp-edge, or 1-cosine methods. Some have developed a power spectral technique, but I wouldn’t say it’s widely practiced (lots of legacy designs). Also, without quantifying the actual loads of these recent/current events, it’s hard to say if the wings don’t meet a sufficient safety margin (maybe that’s in the article posted).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT