ADVERTISEMENT

Airplane Turbulence Is Getting More Common And Severe...

Well, based on the article there most likely wasn't any turbulence anywhere prior to the inception of flight.

Depends. Just evaluating based off flight cycles (not flight time) does not really account for stress from turbulence, but rather stress from pressurization. A flight from Miami to Tampa counts as the same cycle as Miami to LA (cabin pressures not being taken into account for simplicity). LOV is a fairly conservative value, and airframes can “extend” their life. The FAA requires this value, so they would obviously be heavily involved in determining whether current practice is sufficient (methods certifying LOV, as well as parameters evaluated).

Testing for wing flex, or gust analysis, is a little more complicated of an issue and has generally been evaluated using ramp/gradient, sharp-edge, or 1-cosine methods. Some have developed a power spectral technique, but I wouldn’t say it’s widely practiced (lots of legacy designs). Also, without quantifying the actual loads of these recent/current events, it’s hard to say if the wings don’t meet a sufficient safety margin (maybe that’s in the article posted).
You're comparing 2 different things here.

Pressurization cycles would not likely be related to aging from turbulence.

Wings very well could be. Aircraft undergoing significantly higher levels of severe turbulence will have a higher rate of severe stress cycling on wing structures. That becomes a new calculation/factor in how long those planes might remain in service.

They could have an adequate safety margin, but that's my point here - they were designed based upon certain assumptions on how often they'll encounter severe stresses. Those assumptions may now need to be revisited, particularly for older designs and older planes.

We have climate change. That's been happening since the beginning of the earth.

We have more turbulence, supposedly because of climate change. OK, fine, but what's the point? What are we supposed to do about it? Control climate change?

• Sad
Reactions: Tom Paris
Well, based on the article there most likely wasn't any turbulence anywhere prior to the inception of flight.

It was less severe and less common 20 yrs ago.

Think of it as "your interstates have lots more potholes in them now". Will your vehicles tires and suspension be expected to remain stable for the same 100,000 miles of driving on smooth roads vs those with lots of potholes and defects? They could be, if they were designed for it. If not, then you'd have some problems.

You're comparing 2 different things here.

Pressurization cycles would not likely be related to aging from turbulence.

Wings very well could be. Aircraft undergoing significantly higher levels of severe turbulence will have a higher rate of severe stress cycling on wing structures. That becomes a new calculation/factor in how long those planes might remain in service.

They could have an adequate safety margin, but that's my point here - they were designed based upon certain assumptions on how often they'll encounter severe stresses. Those assumptions may now need to be revisited, particularly for older designs and older planes.

I’m not comparing two things, I am telling you how they determine the LOV of an aircraft. An LOV can be based solely on flight cycles, not flight time (as previously stated in the prior two posts). Those platforms are still tested and analyzed for gusts.

Your last paragraph echos what I stated in the post you just quoted. There could be a need, but without better information, it’s not definitive. This is what needs to be quantified : “Aircraft undergoing significantly higher levels of severe turbulence…” You have to first establish the current baseline is no longer sufficient, and “significantly higher” needs to have a value.

Btw, not everything needs to be an argument.

Funny thing is for my job, I got a promotion and have been flying a lot more last 6 months and was noting with family how turbulent the flights have been. Did a vacation in Providence and almost barfed on the flight there from Atlanta.

Idk about anyone else here but I always leave my seat belt on anyways.

Even at cruising altitude if the cabin was breached right next to you a seat belt is what could keep you from flying out.
Do you get in the ocean past your ankles? There are a heck of a lot more shark attacks than people flying out of planes.

You have to first establish the current baseline is no longer sufficient, and “significantly higher” needs to have a value.

You first establish what guidance/numbers the previous testing parameters were based upon.

If that is something like "5% severe turbulence encounters per flight hour", and that number is going to run to 2x or 3x that, then you should consider re-evaluating and/or re-designing your cycling testing designs.

That's my point here.

If the tests are designed for "100% turbulence" and 100% max wing fatigue for every flight (which they certainly aren't), you would not need to change anything.

We're controlling climate change right now, Cletus. Do you not read?
We are? Why didn't you say so? If we are controlling climate change right now, then why all the worry about climate change related events?

I’m not comparing two things, I am telling you how they determine the LOV of an aircraft. An LOV can be based solely on flight cycles, not flight time (as previously stated in the prior two posts). Those platforms are still tested and analyzed for gusts.

Your last paragraph echos what I stated in the post you just quoted. There could be a need, but without better information, it’s not definitive. This is what needs to be quantified : “Aircraft undergoing significantly higher levels of severe turbulence…” You have to first establish the current baseline is no longer sufficient, and “significantly higher” needs to have a value.

Btw, not everything needs to be an argument.
Well, not everything would be an argument if everyone would just accept Joes opinion as the last word on EVERY subject.

Apparently he’s not allowed to be a contestant on Jeopardy because it just wouldn’t be fair. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: The Tradition
We are? Why didn't you say so? If we are controlling climate change right now, then why all the worry about climate change related events?

Because our "control" is what's causing those events.

And we seem incapable of eliminating our CO2 emissions to allow the climate to vary naturally.
What we are doing is very "unnatural" and once we hit a major tipping point, we will have "FAFO"....

Because our "control" is what's causing those events.

And we seem incapable of eliminating our CO2 emissions to allow the climate to vary naturally.
What we are doing is very "unnatural" and once we hit a major tipping point, we will have "FAFO"....
So we really aren't controlling climate change. Please make up your mind, cletus.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Well, not everything would be an argument if everyone would just accept Joes opinion as the last word

When you do not understand "engineering" stuff, specifically mechanical cycling and metal fatigue, it's best to stay out of the discussion.

Past airframe testing has been conducted based upon assumptions of the stresses encountered with typical air turbulence encounters. If air turbulence significantly increases, it is a completely logical step to question and re-evaluate those tests to assess whether they are still relevant and adequate for the increases in stresses that may be encountered with higher rates of turbulence.

It's not that the current tests are "wrong" or necessarily "inadequate" - it is that they were based on specific assumptions - and it is very possible those assumptions are no longer accurate. When that happens, we upgrade the tests, or we reduce the lifespans of mechanical systems to match the expected differences.

I do not do much cycle-testing in my line of work, but I have run the statistical analysis for them.

I use Minitab for that - what statistical packages/experience do you have?

Wait, is Joe an aviation expert now?

No; Joe understands fatigue testing and the statistical analysis that goes with it.

And he also understands that when the parameters your system will encounter in its service life change (in particular, increase) that you may need to adjust your testing methods OR reduce the expected service life of your system.

That's pretty much Materials Science: 101. And, yes, I did teach Mat Sci classes back in the day, as well as run statistical analysis on stuff like this.

What is your background in the area?

Not "intentionally", we aren't.

But we certainly are controlling it by increasing the atmospheric CO2 concentrations from 280 ppm to ~430 ppm.
So why didn't you say so? If we control those, why don't we just stop them, or regulate them to the exact level needed to stabilize their effect?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
CSB time....

Last month I was flying home from Raleigh. The departure was delayed about an hour (and I'm sure the pilot and crew just wanted to get there as fast as possible, too as it was probably their last flight of the day), so the captain said something along the lines of, "We're going to be cruising at 38,000 feet to try and make up some time for you folks. However, it's going to be bumpy up there, so there won't be any drinks or snacks service. Seat belt lights will remain on for the duration of the flight."
We were delayed from Chicago to Cedar Rapids a few years ago waiting on a plane from Detroit. Ended up finally boarding like 4 hours late and the pilot basically said he was going to "floor it" to make up some time. Not sure how fast he was going, but it felt like we were on a rocket! Think we made it in less than 30 minutes.

Reactions: The Tradition
No; Joe understands fatigue testing and the statistical analysis that goes with it.

And he also understands that when the parameters your system will encounter in its service life change (in particular, increase) that you may need to adjust your testing methods OR reduce the expected service life of your system.

That's pretty much Materials Science: 101. And, yes, I did teach Mat Sci classes back in the day, as well as run statistical analysis on stuff like this.

What is your background in the area?
I have 0 background in the area but I also don’t act like I know everything about everything. I didn’t even argue anything, I just thought it was funny you thought of yourself as an aviation expert now.

It’s pretty wild that most everyone on here thinks of you as an egomaniac that thinks he
is right about everything and turns everything into an argument once proven wrong. I mean you got called out like 6 times in this thread alone about that haha.

I have 0 background in the area

No shit...

I explained to you my general background; not my field of work or expertise, but I understand the underlying principles here. That's what a STEM and physics education do for you.

I just thought it was funny you thought of yourself as an aviation expert now.

Nowhere have I claimed to be "an aviation expert".
This is not an "aviation" question, it is a structural testing and fatigue question.

So, when you say you have "0 expertise", you are absolutely correct, because you do not understand the point.

...wonder if older airframes are designed to handle the more frequent and more severe stuff....

I remember reading that the forces needed to cause damage to the airframe of a commercial plane are far greater than turbulence could ever be. That’s not to say that an increase in the occurrences and severity of turbulence won’t require an increase in inspections. I’m sure it will.

Do you get in the ocean past your ankles? There are a heck of a lot more shark attacks than people flying out of planes.

I recognize it's an extremely unlikely thing to occur, however wearing a seatbelt is also not that uncomfortable to me. So I feel like I lose nothing by wearing it.

...wonder if older airframes are designed to handle the more frequent and more severe stuff....
So is this a "don't fly in airplanes" thread or a *cries about climate change* thread?....................

You first establish what guidance/numbers the previous testing parameters were based upon.

If that is something like "5% severe turbulence encounters per flight hour", and that number is going to run to 2x or 3x that, then you should consider re-evaluating and/or re-designing your cycling testing designs.

That's my point here.

If the tests are designed for "100% turbulence" and 100% max wing fatigue for every flight (which they certainly aren't), you would not need to change anything.

“You first establish what guidance/numbers the previous testing parameters were based upon.”

Testing/analysis methodology and parameters are known/established. I have attempted to provide a simplified descriptions of those. For several reasons, I don’t feel this is forum to dive into more detail. If there is a concern, that concern needs to quantified by actual data/values. One of my points is ‘significantly worse’ and ‘more severe’ don’t provide the fidelity needed for evaluating/re-evaluating anything. Proper characterization of these events is required.

Your need to be right has surpassed my patience to deal with your posts. Hopefully Boeing, Airbus, LM, Northrop, etc have reached out to you to lead their airworthiness teams. Let’s make air travel safe again!

No shit...

I explained to you my general background; not my field of work or expertise, but I understand the underlying principles here. That's what a STEM and physics education do for you.
What good is it to be smart if you cannot influence others?

I see you still have not read:

HowtoWinFriendsandInfluencePeopleCover.jpg

Reactions: luvmyhawks
“You first establish what guidance/numbers the previous testing parameters were based upon.”

Testing/analysis methodology and parameters are known/established. I have attempted to provide a simplified descriptions of those. For several reasons, I don’t feel this is forum to dive into more detail. If there is a concern, that concern needs to quantified by actual data/values. One of my points is ‘significantly worse’ and ‘more severe’ don’t provide the fidelity needed for evaluating/re-evaluating anything. Proper characterization of these events is required.

You left out "more frequent".

Anyone who understands cycling-fatigue, understands that "more frequent" can use up the available lifespan of a mechanical structure. Just like the pressurization info you'd cited; a plane that does short-hops over the same number of flight hours as one that has half the # of flights has incurred more frequent stresses and the lifespan gets used up faster (do you agree, or disagree with that statement?)

And I understand the "testing methods are well-established".
100% true.

The question I've posed, which you appear to be sidestepping here, relates to the assumptions those standards are based upon. And whether those assumptions are still adequate/hold up when air turbulence encounters become both more frequent and more severe.

Do you disagree with those questions/premises here?

Hopefully Boeing, Airbus, LM, Northrop, etc have reached out to you to lead their airworthiness teams. Let’s make air travel safe again!

Hopefully, their design teams and QA teams are reviewing their extant standards in light of more frequent and more severe air turbulence encounters, and updating those testing steps/standards as-appropriate.

Based upon Boeing's recent "safety systems" revelations, I very much doubt they've done anything on this.

• Haha
Reactions: LBoogie28
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT