ADVERTISEMENT

AITA…canceling lodging at last minute

Feb 9, 2013
I’ve had a place booked for a few months through booking.com, and today is the free cancellation deadline. It’s an apartment, looks like it’s managed by a small short-term rental company. Out of curiosity I looked and found a substantially equivalent place for $450 cheaper.

I hate to cancel at the last minute (stay is next week), but that’s a lot of money.

What say you, HORT?

I’ve had a place booked for a few months through booking.com, and today is the free cancellation deadline. It’s an apartment, looks like it’s managed by a small short-term rental company. Out of curiosity I looked and found a substantially equivalent place for $450 cheaper.

I hate to cancel at the last minute (stay is next week), but that’s a lot of money.

What say you, HORT?
NTA.

I've heard enough stories about Airbnb owners canceling reservations because something happens and they can rent it for more, that you shouldn't feel bad canceling for another place if you have a chance to save some money.
I had one reserved for the eclipse 9 months ahead of time. It was cancelled three weeks prior to our stay. I’m certain they get more money from someone else. Took a hotel room outside totality and had a drive on the day of, but it worked out.

• Angry
Reactions: NDallasRuss
I was going to suggest you call the first place and tell them your dilemma. Maybe they would cut you a break. But it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

With the the $450 you saved, you could have bought a portable AC. Which wouldn't be as nice as central air (if that's what the 1st place has), but might be useful later on, too.

I was going to suggest you call the first place and tell them your dilemma. Maybe they would cut you a break. But it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

With the the $450 you saved, you could have bought a portable AC. Which wouldn't be as nice as central air (if that's what the 1st place has), but might be useful later on, too.
Who doesn’t want to take their own AC on vacation? Just like a folding chair for the beach

I've heard enough stories about Airbnb owners canceling reservations because something happens and they can rent it for more, that you shouldn't feel bad canceling for another place if you have a chance to save some money.
Can't do that anymore. If an Airbnb host cancels last minute without a valid reason there is penalty fee for the owner and being limited in listing for 2 weeks.

Overseas trip, and also didn’t have time to reach out to the mgmt co.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT