ADVERTISEMENT

“It's a CFB Dream to play at Kinnick & at Iowa. Just the fans here, the Culture here, the Guys here, the Coaches here;it’s Unbelievable.”-Nick Jackson

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Nick had some really nice things to say yesterday about his one year (so far) at Iowa.

Some excerpts:

Developments in Sebastian Castro, Nick Jackson decisions

The Nick Jackson development has been sudden. He was recently granted a waiver by the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility because his senior year at Virginia (2022) was cut short after three football players were shot and killed when another student opened fire on a charter bus during a field trip.

Jackson spoke glowingly on Thursday about his one year at Iowa after transferring. He grinned at the relationships he’s made and how much fun he had playing at Kinnick Stadium, especially on third downs. He enjoyed talking about the many false starts Iowa's crowd has caused for opposing offenses.

“It's a college football dream to play at Kinnick and just at Iowa, honestly. It’s been unreal,” Jackson said. “Like even when we went to Wrigley (Field), remember that? Just the fans here, the culture here, the guys here, the coaches here, it’s unbelievable.”

Jackson's mind is racing because of the NCAA ruling. He was intent on going to the NFL. Now, he’s got a decision to make. He will celebrate his 23rd birthday on Jan. 5. He's also proven himself over a long period of time. But leaving a place he’s grown to love would be tough, too.

“It’s kind of a weird time to get (the waiver),” Jackson said. “I’m (thinking) I don’t have another year and now it’s like, ‘Whoa, I do.’ Just trying to process it, talk to my family, trying to get all my information to make the best decision. … Honestly, this decision isn’t about me, it’s about a lot of people.”

Higgins' decision to come back is a factor.

“Having Jay here is critical, it’s crucial,” Jackson said. “That’s my best friend. That means a lot, for sure.”

Jackson has started all 13 games at Iowa and, remarkably, will play in his 60th college game Monday against Tennessee and make his 47th college start. If he came back, he would end up with potentially 60 college starts in 70-plus games. Unthinkable numbers.

Meantime, fifth-year senior defensive back Sebastian Castro seems to have a good idea which way he is leaning but won’t announce his intent until after the Citrus Bowl. Castro has been dynamic as Iowa’s cash defender in the 4-2-5 alignment.

“Probably at most, 2-3 days, something like that,” Castro said. “It’s a win-win situation. I’ve always wanted to play in the NFL. Coming back and getting better and playing in this environment, it’s not a bad deal.”

The shape of Iowa's 2024 roster will be known within weeks, with the NFL deadline for underclassmen being Jan. 15.

But among players with decisions to make, with the OC hire looming and the Brian Ferentz story simmering, there was still a vocal importance placed Thursday on the game at hand against Tennessee.

“Our focus right now," Kirk Ferentz said, "is on winning this football game.”

By Jan 15th Iowa will know if they have a legit shot at next Years playoffs, Getting the Defense back basically intact and Iowa has a chance. I think Jackson and Castro are the key Guys,

it is amazing that we are currently #17 in the CFP Rankings with our offense

get the right OC in charge and I think we have a shot

By Jan 15th Iowa will know if they have a legit shot at next Years playoffs, Getting the Defense back basically intact and Iowa has a chance. I think Jackson and Castro are the key Guys,
Could be, but talent on the offensive side is a bit of an issue too.

Could be, but talent on the offensive side is a bit of an issue too.
Getting Lachey back is huge , Brown is back, the RB room is stocked, Iowa needs a 2nd WR to step up and QB and OL , OL is experienced and has some young Guys pushing so I hope with a competent OC the OL takes a step forward and of course Cade is back , Hill needs to be passed for QB 2 because He is not a QB that can lead iowa to a special run, The fixation Kirk and Brian have with Him is beyond perplexing, To put it bluntly the Guy stinks worse than Petras. I wonder if Marco had been put in when Cade went down how different the results would have been , I bet Iowa beats Minnesota comfortably at least and has a lot less stress ain a few of the wins.

The thing that always surprises me is the routine talk about the culture and coaches…it just wouldn’t happen if there was this chasm of doubt and belief that coaches are regularly playing the wrong guys or playing favorites.

Reactions: deb926 and Madman_1
Getting Lachey back is huge , Brown is back, the RB room is stocked, Iowa needs a 2nd WR to step up and QB and OL , OL is experienced and has some young Guys pushing so I hope with a competent OC the OL takes a step forward and of course Cade is back , Hill needs to be passed for QB 2 because He is not a QB that can lead iowa to a special run, The fixation Kirk and Brian have with Him is beyond perplexing, To put it bluntly the Guy stinks worse than Petras. I wonder if Marco had been put in when Cade went down how different the results would have been , I bet Iowa beats Minnesota comfortably at least and has a lot less stress ain a few of the wins.

Nico said today to keep an eye on Kaleb Brown and Jacob Bostick.

Watch:

Reactions: Typical Situation
The thing that always surprises me is the routine talk about the culture and coaches…it just wouldn’t happen if there was this chasm of doubt and belief that coaches are regularly playing the wrong guys or playing favorites.

While our culture is one thing to certainly admire, you have to remember we are listening to guys in these interviews who actually play.

it is amazing that we are currently #17 in the CFP Rankings with our offense

get the right OC in charge and I think we have a shot
That's literally all it would take too. We should know better by now but if we can get a good OC, who has some free reign, we can make a pretty deep run every now and again.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I mean that doesn’t apply to some of our coordinators though.

That's literally all it would take too. We should know better by now but if we can get a good OC, who has some free reign, we can make a pretty deep run every now and again.

The 49'ers run a pro style offense. I watch them mostly because of Kittle but damn they are fun to watch. Kyle Shanahan is so creative with misdirections, getting people open and overall play calling. His tight ends and WRs block very well on running plays.

People might say, "well, that's the NFL; look at their star players." Well, 49'ers QB Brock Purdy never beat Iowa. We have a pretty good TE (Lachey) and a pretty good WR (Kaleb Brown). We have a nice stable of running backs. Our OL should be much better (remember how the 49'ers OL almost got CJ Beathard killed?).

"All" Kirk has to do is make another "Phil Parker type" hire. Someone who runs the offense just like Phil runs his defense.

When you talk about making a deep run (or at least making the CFP), why not Iowa next year with all of the veterans coming back so far? We have 3 captains coming back, too (Luke, Cade, Jay).

Thanks for the discussion. We have a bowl game to start off the year and a lot (hopefully) to look forward to in 2024.

:)

Nick had some really nice things to say yesterday about his one year (so far) at Iowa.

Some excerpts:

Developments in Sebastian Castro, Nick Jackson decisions

The Nick Jackson development has been sudden. He was recently granted a waiver by the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility because his senior year at Virginia (2022) was cut short after three football players were shot and killed when another student opened fire on a charter bus during a field trip.

Jackson spoke glowingly on Thursday about his one year at Iowa after transferring. He grinned at the relationships he’s made and how much fun he had playing at Kinnick Stadium, especially on third downs. He enjoyed talking about the many false starts Iowa's crowd has caused for opposing offenses.

“It's a college football dream to play at Kinnick and just at Iowa, honestly. It’s been unreal,” Jackson said. “Like even when we went to Wrigley (Field), remember that? Just the fans here, the culture here, the guys here, the coaches here, it’s unbelievable.”

Jackson's mind is racing because of the NCAA ruling. He was intent on going to the NFL. Now, he’s got a decision to make. He will celebrate his 23rd birthday on Jan. 5. He's also proven himself over a long period of time. But leaving a place he’s grown to love would be tough, too.

“It’s kind of a weird time to get (the waiver),” Jackson said. “I’m (thinking) I don’t have another year and now it’s like, ‘Whoa, I do.’ Just trying to process it, talk to my family, trying to get all my information to make the best decision. … Honestly, this decision isn’t about me, it’s about a lot of people.”

Higgins' decision to come back is a factor.

“Having Jay here is critical, it’s crucial,” Jackson said. “That’s my best friend. That means a lot, for sure.”

Jackson has started all 13 games at Iowa and, remarkably, will play in his 60th college game Monday against Tennessee and make his 47th college start. If he came back, he would end up with potentially 60 college starts in 70-plus games. Unthinkable numbers.

Meantime, fifth-year senior defensive back Sebastian Castro seems to have a good idea which way he is leaning but won’t announce his intent until after the Citrus Bowl. Castro has been dynamic as Iowa’s cash defender in the 4-2-5 alignment.

“Probably at most, 2-3 days, something like that,” Castro said. “It’s a win-win situation. I’ve always wanted to play in the NFL. Coming back and getting better and playing in this environment, it’s not a bad deal.”

The shape of Iowa's 2024 roster will be known within weeks, with the NFL deadline for underclassmen being Jan. 15.

But among players with decisions to make, with the OC hire looming and the Brian Ferentz story simmering, there was still a vocal importance placed Thursday on the game at hand against Tennessee.

“Our focus right now," Kirk Ferentz said, "is on winning this football game.”

On Dec 29 Nick told us what his experience at Iowa had been like so far.

Nick has played in 60 college games so far in 5 years.

Great stuff and I'd wager all of us, right now on this board if we could we opt to have some time in college back...but not all the work and tests, ha! Lachey's Dad said he'd much prefer playing just one more game in college than pros which cemented Luke's decision.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Great stuff and I'd wager all of us, right now on this board if we could we opt to have some time in college back...but not all the work and tests, ha! Lachey's Dad said he'd much prefer playing just one more game in college than pros which cemented Luke's decision.

Just hope Luke and everyone coming back stay healthy heading into the 2025 NFL Draft :) There should be several drafted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT