ADVERTISEMENT

A'ja Wilson: Paige is a good white

A'ja on Clark earlier this year:

“I think it’s a huge thing. I think a lot of people may say it’s not about Black and white, but to me, it is,” she told The Associated Press when asked about the race element in Clark’s popularity.

Wilson also noted that some black women are at a disadvantage when it comes to marketing opportunities. She suggested that if Black women are successful on the basketball court, they are still often forgotten.

“It really is because you can be top-notch at what you are as a Black woman, but yet maybe that’s something that people don’t want to see. They don’t see it as marketable, so it doesn’t matter how hard I work,” said Wilson. “It doesn’t matter what we all do as Black women, we’re still going to be swept underneath the rug. That’s why it boils my blood when people say it’s not about race because it is.”

I get Paige's speech on the ESPY's award but Clark basically said the same thing on SNL and referenced three of her haters: Swoops, Staley, and Leslie.

A'ja on Clark earlier this year:

“I think it’s a huge thing. I think a lot of people may say it’s not about Black and white, but to me, it is,” she told The Associated Press when asked about the race element in Clark’s popularity.

Wilson also noted that some black women are at a disadvantage when it comes to marketing opportunities. She suggested that if Black women are successful on the basketball court, they are still often forgotten.

“It really is because you can be top-notch at what you are as a Black woman, but yet maybe that’s something that people don’t want to see. They don’t see it as marketable, so it doesn’t matter how hard I work,” said Wilson. “It doesn’t matter what we all do as Black women, we’re still going to be swept underneath the rug. That’s why it boils my blood when people say it’s not about race because it is.”
I can actually understand her frustration as she's the best in the game currently. However, that doesn't make you marketable unfortunately for her. As everyone knows about the old USA, if someone thinks they can make a buck off you they will. If Nike thought she was more marketable wouldn't they have promoted her over the last 2-3 years? The W has not moved the needle until CC got there. It is what it is. Now she can understandably be frustrated about that but she's just not that marketable. It's nobody's fault.

It's not about Caitlin being white. It's about Caitlin being a transcendent basketball player.

She has done what no woman has ever done on a basketball court. This will continue to occur in her WNBA career as well.

If A'ja had the same accolades coming out of college, she would have been more marketable, but she didn't.

There hasn't ever been a women's basketball player who plays like Caitlin. That is why she is marketable, in the same way that Jordan was.

It's like Larry Bird getting upset about not getting the attention/endorsements that Jordan did.

Hell, Jack Nicklaus didn't get the attention Tiger Woods did. Should he be jealous/upset?

What about Martina Navratilova? Should she be upset that Venus and Serena had more endorsements?

It's not about Caitlin being white. It's about Caitlin being a transcendent basketball player.

She has done what no woman has ever done on a basketball court. This will continue to occur in her WNBA career as well.

If A'ja had the same accolades coming out of college, she would have been more marketable, but she didn't.

There hasn't ever been a women's basketball player who plays like Caitlin. That is why she is marketable, in the same way that Jordan was.

It's like Larry Bird getting upset about not getting the attention/endorsements that Jordan did.

Hell, Jack Nicklaus didn't get the attention Tiger Woods did. Should he be jealous/upset?

What about Martina Navratilova? Should she be upset that Venus and Serena had more endorsements?
If Jack did he never said it publicly.

I loved Sunday golf watching to see if anyone could stand up to Tiger to the end.

Well Aja has her excuse to define her. Good for her.

It seems like it's always the black folks who are outraged, jealous and upset when it comes to anything concerning Caitlin Clark.

The WNBA:

Basketball Wives Kristen Scott GIF by VH1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT