ADVERTISEMENT

Aldi

Tenacious E

HB Legend
Dec 4, 2001
A new Aldi just opened nearby. I don't know much about it but I think of it as having cheap stuff and little selection. What items are better to get there instead of at Hy-Vee/Sam's/Target?

My wife (pic in another thread) buys all of our fresh fruits and vegetables there. Prices are 30-50% cheaper than Hy-Vee, sometimes even more depending on specials.

Edit - the stores are small and aisles are narrow. If you're like me and have a thing about close spaces and lots of people, you will get the urge to throat punch someone. Just a heads up.

Never, ever, ever buy hamburger there. Whatever it is, it isn't from a cow.
Thanks and I have some advice if you are ever in Eleuthera: You really never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ever, ever buy hamburger from a "grocery" store. You'd be grilling Aldi burgers all day and twice on Sunday over whatever that godforsaken shit is.

Reactions: IACub
Good news/bad news: Aldi has world-class whiskey that costs under $20—you probably can't buy it

Really good scotch isn’t cheap. Decent scotch isn’t cheap. Frankly, cheap scotch usually isn’t all that cheap. That’s part of what makes this story so delightfully baffling: Aldi makes a scotch blend that costs $17.37, and it just won a gold medal at an international spirits competition.

Aldi’s Highland Black Scotch Whisky wasn’t even the only-Aldi brand scotch to achieve such a distinction at the Spirits Business competition. Fortune reports that in addition to the gold medal swiped by Highland Black in the 12-year category, the Glen Marnoch Islay Single Malt was awarded a gold of its own, “earning the only medal in its category.”

https://thetakeout.com/good-news-bad-news-aldi-has-world-class-whiskey-that-c-1826837502

hd22hhqmcnkqpvzcl6ar.jpg

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
My wife (pic in another thread) buys all of our fresh fruits and vegetables there. Prices are 30-50% cheaper than Hy-Vee, sometimes even more depending on specials.

Edit - the stores are small and aisles are narrow. If you're like me and have a thing about close spaces and lots of people, you will get the urge to throat punch someone. Just a heads up.
also, according to another thread apparently I should be buying scotch there as well.

Reactions: jasonrann
I've bought pork and chicken there and it was just fine. Big tub of spring mix blend, chocolate, cereal, frozen pizzas, snacks, cheese (including "fancy" kinds), milk/dairy, eggs, wine. It's all good.

This is pretty much what wife put's on the Aldi shopping list. For the heck of it I grabbed a 4 pack of IPA's (Hop Lift i think) a couple weeks back and it actually wasn't bad.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Their product lines have improved tremendously over the last 5-10 years. I highly recommend them as a first stop, and then go someplace else for the things you didn't like from there. Just bring your own bags.
They don't have bags?

Bread, salad mixes, cheese, yogurt, milk, eggs, cereal, oatmeal, fiber one knock-offs, orange juice, boneless skinless chicken, grapes, salad dressing, tortilla chips. I will buy pretty much anything there if I need it. I tend to not buy much meat other than chicken. I buy produce that is on sale. They have a lot of snack food, too. Trail mix, cheese crackers. Granola and breakfast bars.

And don't forget a quarter for your shopping cart.

And, you have to put a quarter in the cart to get it to unlock. You get your quarter back when you return the cart but there are times I NEVER have a quarter with me. I don't shop there often because its not terribly convenient and i won't drive 5 miles to save $10...

We get dairy stuff and produce there. They just renovated our Aldi and it is much nicer now. Aisles are bigger and laid out much better.

The Aldi checkers are also world class. They are like the polar opposite of Wal-Mart checkers.

And, you have to put a quarter in the cart to get it to unlock. You get your quarter back when you return the cart but there are times I NEVER have a quarter with me. I don't shop there often because its not terribly convenient and i won't drive 5 miles to save $10...
Dafuq? Is that an Atlanta thing or is that for all of them? We live in the most white bread city in Iowa and I cannot fathom shopping cart theft is an issue...

You can walk in and ask for a quarter.

Dafuq? Is that an Atlanta thing or is that for all of them? We live in the most white bread city in Iowa and I cannot fathom shopping cart theft is an issue...

It's all of them.

It's not uncommon to take your groceries to the car, then have someone come up and say "oh, I'll take that for you!" and they hand you their quarter (since you get your quarter back when you lock up the cart again).

I assume it's much more about putting your cart back than stealing it. They have no cart corrals in the parking lot.

And don't use your lucky quarter because you don't end with the same cart you start with. They cashier puts your groceries into the empty cart left from the person before you. The cashiers sit and they are super fast.

I second this. We don’t buy meat from Aldi, I’m too damn picky, I want it from the local butcher back home. Other things like milk, eggs, nuts, other snacks are good.
Chicken is fine. So are pork ribs. Deli Meats, Cheese, canned tomatoes, canned tuna in oil is fantastic, lots of their specialty items. Chips, all of them, crackers. I even like their Mayonaise and Ketchup and I was a confirmed Helmans and Heinz guy.. Pickles, Olives, Dairy products, Eggs. Not a fan of their frozen fish, their tea or coffee. Canned beans are fine, although for Hummus, nothing beats La Perfereda. Home Run Inn Pizza, good. The chocolate is good. Many of their suppliers also supply Trader Joes. What is not to like at Aldi.

Last edited:
Chicken is fine. So are pork ribs. Deli Meats, Cheese, canned tomatoes, canned tuna in oil is fantastic, lots of their specialty items. Chips, all of them, crackers. I even like their Mayonaise. Pickles, Olives, Dairy products, Eggs. Not a fan of their frozen fish, their tea or coffee. Canned beans are fine, although for Hummus, nothing beats La Perfereda. Home Run Inn Pizza, good. Plastic Bags are great. TP is OK. The chocolate is good. Many of their suppliers also supply Trader Joes. What is not to like at Aldi.

Chicken is fine. So are pork ribs. Deli Meats, Cheese, canned tomatoes, canned tuna in oil is fantastic, lots of their specialty items. Chips, all of them, crackers. I even like their Mayonaise. Pickles, Olives, Dairy products, Eggs. Not a fan of their frozen fish, their tea or coffee. Canned beans are fine, although for Hummus, nothing beats La Perfereda. Home Run Inn Pizza, good. The chocolate is good. Many of their suppliers also supply Trader Joes. What is not to like at Aldi.

The brioche at Aldi is the exact same as TJ's.

Does everyone know that Hy Vee, Fareway, Target, and almost all big name stores will match ads? Just take in the flyer and show it to them and they will give it to you at the same cost! Sav a lot usually has cheap prices on meat and I take the ad into hy vee and they will give it to me at the same price.

It actually saves them money in not having to have employees chasing down carts within the parking lot. And, yes, if there are apartments nearby, the carts disappear.

I worked at the Aldi in Mason City while I was in college. They paid $10-$12 an hour, there was rarely more than 2 workers in the entire store, and the efficiency of the staff was amazing. I really enjoyed working there.

Posting in a poors thread
Not really poor. Just smart in selective shopping & saving money on food that is very costly elsewhere.
Vegetables & pork & chicken are great but as said in a other post not beef.
Dry goods are ok & canned items are ok to a degree.
Went into one in Rice lake Wi. Store was very clean & twice the size of the normal ones.
Lots of selection & fresh.

Does everyone know that Hy Vee, Fareway, Target, and almost all big name stores will match ads? Just take in the flyer and show it to them and they will give it to you at the same cost! Sav a lot usually has cheap prices on meat and I take the ad into hy vee and they will give it to me at the same price.

Our Hy-Vees only recently started matching prices. I still generally go to Aldi and Fareway.

Their product lines have improved tremendously over the last 5-10 years. I highly recommend them as a first stop, and then go someplace else for the things you didn't like from there. Just bring your own bags.
Making one trip to the grocery for everything you need is bad enough. Planning to go to two stores seems like a real pain.

I can't imagine being so concerned about my money and having so little of it that I have to try and figure out where I can save a few dollars on milk and bread. If my personal assistant ever comes to me and says Hall I can save your 35 cents on your designer Kobe Beef I'll punch them right in the face.

I can't imagine being so concerned about my money and having so little of it that I have to try and figure out where I can save a few dollars on milk and bread. If my personal assistant ever comes to me and says Hall I can save your 35 cents on your designer Kobe Beef I'll punch them right in the face.

CSB

Reactions: IA_HAWKI
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT