ADVERTISEMENT

Alito Decries 'Hostility to Religion' in First Public Remarks Since Abortion Decision

Umm, should SCOTUS justices be making speeches that include both political and religious statements?
And, who paid for his travel? I have huge concerns about any federal employee taking things of value. A member of the SCOTUS shouldn't be traveling or vacationing on anyone's dime but their own, or at the taxpayer's expense for official duties.

And, who paid for his travel? I have huge concerns about any federal employee taking things of value. A member of the SCOTUS shouldn't be traveling or vacationing on anyone's dime but their own, or at the taxpayer's expense for official duties.
That’s actually my concern regarding this. If you look at the list of participants, it’s mostly American professors who regularly interact, which means holding “the summit” in Rome was largely for the travel benefit.

It’s fine for Notre Dame to entice professors with a free trip to Italy, it’s a little different for a sitting Supreme Court Justice. I sincerely hope Alito flew there on his own dime.

Reactions: Torg and lucas80
That’s actually my concern regarding this. If you look at the list of participants, it’s mostly American professors who regularly interact, which means holding “the summit” in Rome was largely for the travel benefit.

It’s fine for Notre Dame to entice professors with a free trip to Italy, it’s a little different for a sitting Supreme Court Justice. I sincerely hope Alito flew there on his own dime.
Scalia died at some hunting preserve on a junket. I've said it many times, the SCOTUS members are too insulated from the general public. Special trips and retreats where they are treated to more echo chamber is not good.

Reactions: TheCainer
Scalia died at some hunting preserve on a junket. I've said it many times, the SCOTUS members are too insulated from the general public. Special trips and retreats where they are treated to more echo chamber is not good.
After flying to Texas on the private jet of a DC lawyer. If we took ethics rules seriously, we wouldn’t allow any of this.

Reactions: BelemNole and Torg
Just incredible to me that a Justice in the highest court of the land can namecheck and mock world leaders without any repercussions.
Sounds like he is responding to world leaders that have stricter abortion standards in their own countries than anything in the US. Maybe those world leaders should stfu

Oh the horrors of a Muslim man or woman to be nominated. In this and many senses this is a Christian nation.
Honestly, I would have to know what that particular person's view on the separation of Church and State was because there certainly is that concern with different sects of Islam. Of course, the 6 catholics on the court right now also do not believe in a separation of church and state so I guess my statement should actually say, "I need to know the views of a justice's belief in Separation of Church and state." It doesn't matter the religion. Of course, we also know these people lie so it really doesn't matter I guess.

Meh as long as he recuses himself from any case in which ND is itself a party. I don't think a supreme court justice can avoid all potential conflicts of interest.

That said I do think that the ethics where enforced on the SCOTUS instead of just being suggestions.

If religious people didn't insist on forcing their religious views down everyone elses throats then maybe there wouldn't be such hostility to religion any longer.

But yes, many of us have recognized that your all powerful sky God with His set of archaic rules we must follow or burn forever doesn't exist, and have recognized that ordering our society by them is stupid.

Do you know how the federal judiciary works? Are judges intended to be foreign policy wonks? Are they expected to have opinions on foreign policy? Are they supposed to have biases they air out in religious speeches? I'll stop there. You're a donkey.
Oh shut the **** up. He owes nothing to some asshole foreign leader with an opinion.

A foreign leader attempting to influence a supreme court decision for that matter.

Oh shut the **** up. He owes nothing to some asshole foreign leader with an opinion.

A foreign leader attempting to influence a supreme court decision for that matter.

Must be,...oh yes..a Texas dipshit weighing in.

…I guess my statement should actually say, "I need to know the views of a justice's belief in Separation of Church and state." It doesn't matter the religion. Of course, we also know these people lie so it really doesn't matter I guess.
The poorly decided (IMHO) cases aside, our situation with the SCOTUS is quickly becoming untenable.

1. The system for nomination/advise and consent has been overtaken by extreme partisanship.

2. Nominees can lie to gain admission to the court without consequences.

3. There is no sign from our elected representatives that they have the will to do anything about this.

If these conditions do not change, it will lead to the delegitimization of the Court and ultimately be its undoing.

The poorly decided (IMHO) cases aside, our situation with the SCOTUS is quickly becoming untenable.

1. The system for nomination/advise and consent has been overtaken by extreme partisanship.

2. Nominees can lie to gain admission to the court without consequences.

3. There is no sign from our elected representatives that they have the will to do anything about this.

If these conditions do not change, it will lead to the delegitimization of the Court and ultimately be its undoing.
People like you are so stupid it hurts. Just shut up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT