ADVERTISEMENT

All Coasts Conference: ACC moving closer to adding Cal, Stanford, SMU

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Pac-12 had to die for the ACC to live.

Per ESPN's Pete Thamel, Cal and Stanford—along with SMU—are moving closer to joining the ACC. If the numbers are correct, it might be enough to satisfy the big dogs such as Florida State and Clemson.

Last week, Thamel reported that Stanford and Cal would take a reduced share of revenue while SMU would receive no broadcast media revenue "for the first seven years it is in the league."

Those financial sacrifices, Thamel wrote, "will create a pool of money, and the ACC presidents are having discussions on how it would be split." Per the latest development, the presidents were able to hash out a plan over the weekend.

Thamel stressed that "the details are 'only in pencil,'" meaning there's still time to botch it, but the ACC would be foolish not to finalize the additions.

The $50-$60 million per year would be on par with the SEC's reported $60 million per school in media rights and substantially more than the Big 12's $31.6 million.

I know ND is throwing a bit of weight around here, but I really don't understand the additions of Stanford and Cal (let alone SMU).

I'd guess ND is looking for a couple "friendly faces" so to speak.

I know ND is throwing a bit of weight around here, but I really don't understand the additions of Stanford and Cal (let alone SMU).

I'd guess ND is looking for a couple "friendly faces" so to speak.
Honestly the only way any of this works as a long term solution is Notre Dame actually really joining and then hardball negotiations to have ACC at payout levels closer to the SEC/BIG than to the Big 12. But ND has no intentions of joining.

Reactions: runkpanole
Honestly the only way any of this works as a long term solution is Notre Dame actually really joining and then hardball negotiations to have ACC at payout levels closer to the SEC/BIG than to the Big 12. But ND has no intentions of joining.

I’m assuming Notre Dame was pushing this to keep enough of the ACC together for an easy 8 game football schedule and for all other sports with the assumption FSU and Clemson plus probably at least two others fly the coop.

Norte Dame obviously REALLY does not want to join the BIG.

They’re going to keep this “arrangement” alive as long as they possibly can.

thumbs-down-you.gif

Reactions: TennNole17
Norte Dame obviously REALLY does not want to join the BIG.

They’re going to keep this “arrangement” alive as long as they possibly can.

They have a serious weed up their asses about the concept of being a B10 member.

I suspect it's all about not being the biggest cheese in the conference. Their just one of the guys (in their mind) if they did join.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Does this allow UNC, FSU, and Clemson an out? Can they say this changed the league they entered or if their payout changes at all can they use it as an out? Seems very clear that these three have future plans.

Reactions: noleclone2
Does this allow UNC, FSU, and Clemson an out? Can they say this changed the league they entered or if their payout changes at all can they use it as an out? Seems very clear that these three have future plans.
I think if it were that easy, we would have welcomed them with open arms.

I think if it were that easy, we would have welcomed them with open arms.
I guess my thinking is maybe if they were against this, the conference went against wishes and can demonstrate a change in the contract maybe this provides a crack?

I also think the ACC only did this because they knew it was only a matter of time before they lost at least 3 schools so they wanted to have numbers vs being decimated like the Pac-12 was.

I guess my thinking is maybe if they were against this, the conference went against wishes and can demonstrate a change in the contract maybe this provides a crack?

I also think the ACC only did this because they knew it was only a matter of time before they lost at least 3 schools so they wanted to have numbers vs being decimated like the Pac-12 was.
Possible. In which case, I’d give NC State a kiss for caving.

Reactions: B1GDeal

If the contract thing is true, then there should be no damages for FSU breaching the GoR. Every school will still get the same money.

My understanding is that the joining schools have degreed to defer revenue, which effectively gives existing ACC members a boost. FSU will enjoy the additional revenue for a few years, then bolt.

My understanding is that the joining schools have degreed to defer revenue, which effectively gives existing ACC members a boost. FSU will enjoy the additional revenue for a few years, then bolt.
Only temporarily. Which would mean there is a change in the contract.

I've said it for a decade...every major conference should force ND's hand by not scheduling them until they join a league. Notre Dame isn't as necessary as they think they are. Stop scheduling power 5 games against them. They would have to join unless they wanted all their games against the New Mexico States of college football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT