ADVERTISEMENT

All Coasts Conference: ACC moving closer to adding Cal, Stanford, SMU

The idea that SMU is actually moving up in the world through this should bother everyone. George W Bush gets on the phone and Duke, BC, and Miami kowtow to this crap?

He should have been locked up a decade ago for war crimes

Who’s the ACC going after next? USF? FGCU? Maybe the powerhouse UCF? Lol

The Pac-12 had to die for the ACC to live.

Per ESPN's Pete Thamel, Cal and Stanford—along with SMU—are moving closer to joining the ACC. If the numbers are correct, it might be enough to satisfy the big dogs such as Florida State and Clemson.

Last week, Thamel reported that Stanford and Cal would take a reduced share of revenue while SMU would receive no broadcast media revenue "for the first seven years it is in the league."

Those financial sacrifices, Thamel wrote, "will create a pool of money, and the ACC presidents are having discussions on how it would be split." Per the latest development, the presidents were able to hash out a plan over the weekend.

Thamel stressed that "the details are 'only in pencil,'" meaning there's still time to botch it, but the ACC would be foolish not to finalize the additions.

The $50-$60 million per year would be on par with the SEC's reported $60 million per school in media rights and substantially more than the Big 12's $31.6 million.

Just here to comment that the either the MSN author is making a stupid comparison or I don’t know what’s going on. I’m not sure why the author is comparing the $50-$60m to the SEC/Big 12 per school payouts. Isn’t the $50-$60m a pool of extra money in total for the current ACC members to split, so like $4m per school per year on average. That puts ACC closer to Big 12 but substantially less than SEC.

Reactions: runkpanole
Just here to comment that the either the MSN author is making a stupid comparison or I don’t know what’s going on. I’m not sure why the author is comparing the $50-$60m to the SEC/Big 12 per school payouts. Isn’t the $50-$60m a pool of extra money in total for the current ACC members to split, so like $4m per school per year on average. That puts ACC closer to Big 12 but substantially less than SEC.
Correct. This changes little for FSU and Clemson.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT