ADVERTISEMENT

All the Light We Cannot See

billanole

HR Legend
Mar 5, 2005
We caught an episode the other night and were hooked. Good read below about how the director was determined to recreate the time, place, and people of the era.

Authenticity didn’t only matter to Levy when it came to the details of décor and uniforms, however. “I wanted the representation of that world in that time to be authentic just as I wanted the representation of this protagonist who is blind to be authentic,” he says. “And that means including details that might surprise people.” That meant that almost every day, Aria Mia Loberti, who stars in the series as Marie-Laure LeBlanc, would explain something to her colleagues about living without eyesight.

“That was surprising and often different than the tropes and cliches of how sighted actors have portrayed blindness,” Levy says. “I am really proud of the fact that in this portrayal of Marie-Laure, a character that I fell in love with on the page and had the privilege of bringing onto the screen, the details of her behavior are the result of the real thing, whether it's how she walks through a cobblestone street with a cane, or how she navigates an interior domestic space. I would never know that if I wasn't on set every day with these performers who were themselves blind. That’s the aspect of the show's authenticity that I'm most proud…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT