ADVERTISEMENT

All you Rockefellers/ Financial Investment Gurus

Those aren't equities, they are funds that invest in equities. You are paying a lot in fees for those funds to invest your money in equities. Nevertheless, in the long term, you should be fine.

Btw, everyone invested has done well in the longest bull market in history. Don't think that means your advisor or you are a genius.
In the last few years... a blind squirrel could average double digit returns.

The value of a financial advisor comes in down cycles.

Here's a personal spin... I have an advisor that diversifies for me. I also have an account with a little extra $$$ that I like to play with because investing is kind of an adrenaline rush for me. I've outperformed my advisor for the last three years... by an average of 6-8%. But if the market took a shit for a few years... there's no doubt my advisor's investments would lose less than the ones I have.

And the advisor typically has funds/investments with higher expense fees. My personally managed funds are low fee Vanguard.

Reactions: goldmom and Gonolz
didn't say they were...I have 8.75% of my money in fixed income...for emergency.
Not to pick nits, but the vast majority of your listed investments are not emergency fund ventures. :p How many month's of expenses would that 8.75% in fixed income cover? Many "experts" say 6 months is needed.

Not to pick nits, but the vast majority of your listed investments are not emergency fund ventures. :p How many month's of expenses would that 8.75% in fixed income cover? Many "experts" say 6 months is needed.

where did I say those investments were emergency...and yes I should have been more clear...o

I'm a University retiree...after 35+ years...I;m sure you are familiar with TIAA CREF....with my wifes retirement, our SSI..we could actually lower the 8.75%.

My observations of the OT community are that this place is packed & racked with seven figure income studs. Where can I place some $$ to get a decent return on it but have access to it in case of an emergency should one spring up. Just put a couple of hundred bucks per month in it. I'm not well versed in stock market. I'm not going to retire for awhile. I'm vested in a pension so I'm setting ok. Just trying to add a little dinero on the side. Advice away ....

We had a poster - I think he was Bernie_Madoff - who people sent money to that was getting crazy returns for them.

He disappeared a while ago, though. Probably retired with all his massive assets...

Reactions: lucas80
Putting 100% into stocks is the biggest risk largest reward (until one hits a year like 2008).

Here are the current equities I use that have done nicely. ...diversity is the key.

American Funds EuroPacific Growth Fund
Large-Cap Growth Index Fund - Institutional Class
Large-Cap Value Index Fund - Institutional Cla
Real Estate Securities Fund -
Harbor International Fund Institutional Class
American Funds Washington Mutual Investors Fund
Vanguard Small-Cap Growth Index Fund Institutional
American Funds Growth Fund of America
VICTORY MUN MIDCAP CORE GROW Y
Lazard Emerging Markets Equity Portfolio Institutional Class
Columbia Small Cap Value Fund I Instl
Vanguard Small-Cap Index Fund Institutional

That’s a nice equity portion of your portfolio. You build that yourself? However, as nice as it is, probably not appropriate for what op is looking for.

per quarter? I thought one percent annually sucked

Anyone ever use a fiduciary type who just charges a set fee?

You can find them, but you get what you pay for. 1% isn’t that much for someone to not only watch over your investments, but your entire financial picture. Also, keep in mind. More times than not, advisors/planners are using investment class shares n their portfolios. Lower fees than other share classes. Most people pay 1%+ on their 401k’s, they just don’t realize it.

We had a poster - I think he was Bernie_Madoff - who people sent money to that was getting crazy returns for them.

He disappeared a while ago, though. Probably retired with all his massive assets...
He's president now.

You don't know what an emergency fund is, do you? Most people can't afford to see big drops in the short term. That's what you open yourself up to being in equities.

Leave the investment discussions to people that know what the hell they're talking about.
Lol. Double lol.

what’s next? A pitch on whole life insurance?

Apple and Microsoft contributed to the S&Ps rise in 2019 more than the next 8 biggest contributors combined. Spare me your expert shit.

As long as you understand the risk is that you could potentially lose money especially since you are potentially investing it for less than a 5 year period and this isn't your emergency fund. A S&P 500 is probably your best bet with some risk but not as much risk as a single stock or other funds. Fidelity and Vanguard probably have funds with S&P 500 in the name of the fund.

Reactions: MitchLL
I would avoid the funds like the plague. There are way too many hidden fees and charges. This stuff wrecks your rate of return over time. The commissions on the funds, the annual management fees, the commissions they are paying their brokers to buy and sell on behalf of the fund, marketing expenses, and so on. This stuff adds up.

Since several of the discount brokers have gone to zero commissions, here is what I would do if I were just starting out:

Open an account at Ameritrade and start putting your $200 a month into that. Since they do not charge commissions, you can buy as few as 1 share of stock at a time. Once you have deposited your $200, buy as many whole shares as that will buy of some stock that you think you might like owning for 10 years or so. It should be some company that you like and feel comfortable with. This means that you know what they do or make. It can be about anything. ... Just buy a few shares of one stock for a year or two and then switch to different stock and buy $200 worth each month for a year or two ... and then just accumulate and accumulate, adding names along the way.

With stock selection, and when following this approach, you mostly just need to avoid mistakes. ... so avoid new issues, hyped stuff, hot stories, green stuff, pink sheet stocks and similar.

Learn to read the quarterly and annual reports paying particular attention to the "President's Letter" at the front. You will get a sense of what the issues facing the company are and whether, in your opinion, the personalities involved are good stewards of your money.

It used to be that the only cost of owning stocks was the commission to buy it ... and sell it. Now, even that is gone. ... so build your own mutual fund for free. ... and then own it for free.

Last edited:
Reactions: coloradonoles
I have some financial products that I would be very interested in providing you.

Investments in Hershey bars are a sure thing.

Funny comment on the silver bar video.

Hershey stock has a 37 percent return in the last year.....

Lol. Double lol.

what’s next? A pitch on whole life insurance?

Apple and Microsoft contributed to the S&Ps rise in 2019 more than the next 8 biggest contributors combined. Spare me your expert shit.
There's a reason 90% of investors don't invest in individual stocks... risk.

If you think you're smarter than most, congrats, I guess.

High risk/high reward. Good luck, because at some point you're going to experience a sizable loss in the short term. If your timeline is longer, fine.

BTW: Again... the subject was emergency fund. In no way, shape, or form would individual stock purchases be the correct way to invest for that. Stop being obtuse.

OP, is your house paid off? If not, you may want to just pay extra principal towards that until paid off. Think of the extra cash you will have with no house payment and not have to worry as much about any income loss that are beyond your control.

where did I say those investments were emergency...and yes I should have been more clear...o

I'm a University retiree...after 35+ years...I;m sure you are familiar with TIAA CREF....with my wifes retirement, our SSI..we could actually lower the 8.75%.
The OP was referencing "emergency". Most of those you listed would be too much risk.;)

Just put it in a 2025 or 2030 target date retirement fund (something like FFTWX)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT