ADVERTISEMENT

America loves its role as “victims”!

Meh, I get what OP is saying. Have we had our annual "where were you" thread yet? It was a tragic day. But I see no reason to wallow in it each year on the anniversary.

Side note...we took the guided tour of the 9/11 museum while in NYC for the Rutgers game last fall. It was absolutely overwhelming and worth every penny. If you haven't had the chance to go, I highly recommend it.
I'd love to do that some day. I went to the 9/11 Memorial back in 2018 when I was in NYC for work, and even that brought a few tears to my eyes. Didn't have time for the museum tour though unfortunately. I need to get back to NYC.

• Love
Reactions: hawkbirch
In American history, about 99.9% of other days don't have an atrocity like 9/11.

No, but I am sure you can find cases of horrible human slaughter on all 365 days of the year.

Pink Cartoon GIF by Molang

I am NOT saying that, moron!
It was 22 years ago……do we have to ring a bell and read every name 22 years later? I think this is holding on to the event for all the wrong reasons. BUT, NEVER did I say not to honor the day…..I think the “method” of honoring its victims is a bit over the top, 22 years later.
Your thread title is "America loves its role as victims"...when 9/11 was ALL about victims, over 2K innocent civilians and then you want to dictate how and to what extent people memorialize said victims and I'm the "moron"?

As I stated above, if you don't want to listen to the reading of names, then do something else. If my family member was killed that day, I'd listen to their name being read every year until the day I died.

Next time there's a MLK march I think you should approach those marching and tell them it's ridiculous. MLK's been dead for 55 years and it's time to move on.

Reactions: abby97
I’ll admit, the reading of every name, ringing the bell thousands of times, stuff like that should be saved for the “big” anniversaries, 5, 10, 20, 25, etc.

Acknowledgment of the day is proper. News channels still run Pearl Harbor, D-day, JFK stories on every anniversary.

I'd love to do that some day. I went to the 9/11 Memorial back in 2018 when I was in NYC for work, and even that brought a few tears to my eyes. Didn't have time for the museum tour though unfortunately. I need to get back to NYC.
It's completely overwhelming and heavy. I was exhausted when we left. Emotionally, physically, all of it. We joked afterwards about what we could do next that might make us feel even worse. With time, that heavy feeling lifts and I'm better able to focus on all of the heroes that saved lives that day. It's a terrible, terrible day in our history but multiple little acts saved so many lives that day. It's truly a miracle that more people weren't killed.

It's the final burial spot for many people and that really hit me hard. There is a certain area that is only open to surviving family members. They can come visit that area any time they want. It took my breath away to really feel that reality that many families didn't get their loved one's body back so they couldn't have a "real" funeral or that closure from seeing their loved one. That would be so hard to handle.

Reactions: McLovin32
I am NOT saying that, moron!
It was 22 years ago……do we have to ring a bell and read every name 22 years later? I think this is holding on to the event for all the wrong reasons. BUT, NEVER did I say not to honor the day…..I think the “method” of honoring its victims is a bit over the top, 22 years later.
What's this "we"? I don't ring a bell. You don't read any names. The only people who even hear the bell ringing are those who wish to. I'd bet that most of those who listen to the names are doing so to hear a specific name. It's certainly not on every channel. There is no one forcing me to acknowledge it.

Where it happens is in NYC. More NYC fire fighters died that day than died in the entire prior history of the city. Literally hundreds of families lost loved ones in the space of a few hours. There were residential streets where multiple families were impacted - fathers and mothers and sons and daughters went to work and never came home. For almost every one of them, there wasn't even a body to bury. And there are hundreds of families of first responders who dug through the rubble who are dealing with the consequences today. To ask these people to move on is extraordinarily thoughtless. Ignore it.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Meh, I get what OP is saying. Have we had our annual "where were you" thread yet? It was a tragic day. But I see no reason to wallow in it each year on the anniversary.
I've decided to start altering my story every year until, eventually, I play a key role in thwarting an element of the attack that, conveniently, never got any headlines.

Last edited:
Reactions: BelemNole
The guided tour was incredible. So many emotions doing it. It was well planned to do that before the Hawkeye Huddle for the Pinstripe Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT