ADVERTISEMENT

American Airlines' flight attendants union cuts off its nose to spite its face....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
American Airlines and flight attendants are down to the wire in negotiations. They’re meeting with federal mediators next week in Washington, D.C. in what the union calls a “last ditch” effort.

The National Mediation Board doesn’t want to authorize a strike, which is bad for the economy and will be unpopular with travelers before the election. There would be pressure on the President to halt the strike, as Bill Clinton did with American Airlines pilots (and pressured both American and flight attendants to agree to arbitration), but he’d be in an impossible position because interfering with a strike would be seen by his labor supporters as betrayal.

The airline has increased its financial offer, the union has moderated theirs, but they’re still far apart it seems not just on wages but also on retro pay and work rules.

On Wednesday the airline went directly to employees and told them that – with the union’s permission, which is required – they would immediately raise pay 17% and implement Delta’s profit sharing formula. This would be outside of contract negotiations, and would not require giving up anything, it would just mean bigger checks while negotiations continue. Naturally it’s aimed at avoiding a strike while negotiations continue.

As I wrote to expect, this angered the union. The union board unanimously rejected it.

Today, American Airlines CEO Robert Isom released a video detailing a company proposal to offer an immediate 17% pay increase on June 1, 2024, without reaching an agreement on a complete contract. This proposal was sent to APFA yesterday afternoon. Management was informed that we would discuss the offer with the APFA Board of Directors.
…Management should focus on reaching an agreement with APFA rather than concocting schemes to take the pressure off.
The APFA Board of Directors unanimously rejects management’s proposal and encourages, in the strongest way possible, the company to put all of its attention towards reaching an agreement with our Union and avoiding a crippling strike.

Aside from the fact that the union has been emphasizing how much flight attendants need the money – that they haven’t seen a pay increase since January 1, 2019, that their wages have been eroded by inflation, and that starting pay is quite low – and this would have delivered more pay to struggling flight attendants immediately without committing the union to anything at all – turning down the immediate raise is bad strategy.

1. Gives up moral outrage. Flight attendants can no longer complain about qualifying for food stamps. That was imposed on them by the union.

2. Blunder in negotiating the best deal. They could have taken the 17%, and are still bargaining over the 11% additional wage gap in their positions. And American will no longer be able to say they are giving ‘most of’ what flight attendants are asking for.

American’s current offer is ‘no additional wage increases’ beyond the 17% (just boarding pay, greater retirement contributions) but at that point why would flight attendants agree to a new contract that includes changes the airline wants? The airline is starting from zero but still faces the possibility of a strike. American’s deal forces the airline to up its offer. Mid-contract raises ultimately led to mechanics getting more in their deal not less.

3. Doesn’t actually increase flight attendant leverage. The union didn’t take it because they think it means the National Mediation Board would wait longer to release them negotiations if they accepted. The unaccepted offer could have that same effect. The board wants any excuse not to have a major airline strike especially right before a presidential election.

4. American’s offer would have made a strike more costly. If/when flight attendants execute CHAOS strike (skipping specific flights each day, not doing a full walkout – which is what they’ve talked about), the airline would be paying most flight attendants even as customers booked away. This would have raised the cost to the airline imposed by the strike. The strike would have been 17% more costly in terms of flight attendant wages American is still paying.

The smart thing would have been to take the money since nothing was required in exchange – it was literally just allowing the airline to increase paychecks without a new contract or accepting any company terms whatsoever. You don’t leave free money on the table especially when you… need the money. This would have set a new baseline to negotiate upwards from.

There are still four days mediated bargaining next week to see what’s next. Flight attendants are being told to prepare to skip credit card payments. A strike is not clearly better than taking higher pay and continuing to negotiate.

Why do employees want unions again? If I was a flight attendant I'd be completely outraged at "my" union for turning down this raise.

If they would just hand me a 20oince soda and a bigger bag of pretzels when I board I would be good.

Maybe have a bouncer that leaves the plane before departing to mitigate the fighting with overhead storage.

A recording for the safety instructions.

Guessing they could get by with less help.

If they would just hand me a 20oince soda and a bigger bag of pretzels when I board I would be good.

Maybe have a bouncer that leaves the plane before departing to mitigate the fighting with overhead storage.

A recording for the safety instructions.

Guessing they could get by with less help.
But then who would make sure your tray table is up during landing? Thats SUPER important.

American Airlines and flight attendants are down to the wire in negotiations. They’re meeting with federal mediators next week in Washington, D.C. in what the union calls a “last ditch” effort.

The National Mediation Board doesn’t want to authorize a strike, which is bad for the economy and will be unpopular with travelers before the election. There would be pressure on the President to halt the strike, as Bill Clinton did with American Airlines pilots (and pressured both American and flight attendants to agree to arbitration), but he’d be in an impossible position because interfering with a strike would be seen by his labor supporters as betrayal.

The airline has increased its financial offer, the union has moderated theirs, but they’re still far apart it seems not just on wages but also on retro pay and work rules.

On Wednesday the airline went directly to employees and told them that – with the union’s permission, which is required – they would immediately raise pay 17% and implement Delta’s profit sharing formula. This would be outside of contract negotiations, and would not require giving up anything, it would just mean bigger checks while negotiations continue. Naturally it’s aimed at avoiding a strike while negotiations continue.

As I wrote to expect, this angered the union. The union board unanimously rejected it.

Aside from the fact that the union has been emphasizing how much flight attendants need the money – that they haven’t seen a pay increase since January 1, 2019, that their wages have been eroded by inflation, and that starting pay is quite low – and this would have delivered more pay to struggling flight attendants immediately without committing the union to anything at all – turning down the immediate raise is bad strategy.

1. Gives up moral outrage. Flight attendants can no longer complain about qualifying for food stamps. That was imposed on them by the union.

2. Blunder in negotiating the best deal. They could have taken the 17%, and are still bargaining over the 11% additional wage gap in their positions. And American will no longer be able to say they are giving ‘most of’ what flight attendants are asking for.

American’s current offer is ‘no additional wage increases’ beyond the 17% (just boarding pay, greater retirement contributions) but at that point why would flight attendants agree to a new contract that includes changes the airline wants? The airline is starting from zero but still faces the possibility of a strike. American’s deal forces the airline to up its offer. Mid-contract raises ultimately led to mechanics getting more in their deal not less.

3. Doesn’t actually increase flight attendant leverage. The union didn’t take it because they think it means the National Mediation Board would wait longer to release them negotiations if they accepted. The unaccepted offer could have that same effect. The board wants any excuse not to have a major airline strike especially right before a presidential election.

4. American’s offer would have made a strike more costly. If/when flight attendants execute CHAOS strike (skipping specific flights each day, not doing a full walkout – which is what they’ve talked about), the airline would be paying most flight attendants even as customers booked away. This would have raised the cost to the airline imposed by the strike. The strike would have been 17% more costly in terms of flight attendant wages American is still paying.

The smart thing would have been to take the money since nothing was required in exchange – it was literally just allowing the airline to increase paychecks without a new contract or accepting any company terms whatsoever. You don’t leave free money on the table especially when you… need the money. This would have set a new baseline to negotiate upwards from.

There are still four days mediated bargaining next week to see what’s next. Flight attendants are being told to prepare to skip credit card payments. A strike is not clearly better than taking higher pay and continuing to negotiate.

Why do employees want unions again? If I was a flight attendant I'd be completely outraged at "my" union for turning down this raise.
I had a customer in the NE who was trying to implement gainsharing. Couldn’t get it thru the union to even get it to a vote.
Company just went ahead and communicated it in a letter. End of qtr they gave out checks for about 4%. Union told the employees to give them back. I was told only 2 employees out of about 120 kept the checks.

BUMP for the day crew.

Where are all the union fanboys on this?
Maybe the BEST solution to workplace issues are for those involved to solve them??
As we know, opinions are like assholes…..everyone has one. However, not everyone works for an employer as kind and understanding as yours Trad…sooner or later they will resolve this mess.

Reactions: franklinman
Maybe the BEST solution to workplace issues are for those involved to solve them??
As we know, opinions are like assholes…..everyone has one. However, not everyone works for an employer as kind and understanding as yours Trad…sooner or later they will resolve this mess.

They would have received several raises over the course of 2019 through today if they didn't have a union. Because that's what a union contract does. No raises unless the union approves.

Oh, well. Sucks to be them. Maybe they should think about decertifying?

They would have received several raises over the course of 2019 through today if they didn't have a union. Because that's what a union contract does. No raises unless the union approves.

Gee Trad… let them diffuse it out, then!
You can think of “unions” as your white man’s burden, if it makes you feel better.

Reactions: Torg

30-40% inflation the last 4 years and no raise? I think they have a lot of making up to do.

Some companies are so short sighted

Reactions: Torg
Gee Trad… let them diffuse it out, then!
You can think of “unions” as your white man’s burden, if it makes you feel better.

"White" has absolutely nothing to do with any of this. Back your BS truck up, son.

Do you really think that AA would have NOT given flight attendants raises for five freaking years? A period of time that overlapped the COVID crisis?

The ONLY reason these employees haven't had a raise in five years is BECAUSE OF THEIR UNION.

That fact not debatable.

Reactions: seminoleed
30-40% inflation the last 4 years and no raise? I think they have a lot of making up to do.

Some companies are so short sighted

As detailed in the story in the OP, the airline is NOT ALLOWED to give anyone raises without the union's approval.

Some unions are short sighted.

Reactions: seminoleed
I will say, being a flight attendant must totally suck. Low pay, asshole customers, crazy schedules, flying on a plane sucks as it is, you're only paid for the time that the airplane door is closed, and on and on and on. Not sure why anyone wants this job.

Reactions: bhawk24bob

Why has the Union turned down raises the past 5 years?

I will say, being a flight attendant must totally suck. Low pay, asshole customers, crazy schedules, flying on a plane sucks as it is, you're only paid for the time that the airplane door is closed, and on and on and on. Not sure why anyone wants this job.

While true, there is a lot of sitting and doing nothing

That was recent correct? There's more to a job than wages.

The union could allow the raise and keep bargaining for other things besides wages. And they can continue to bargain for even higher wages, too. THE REASON the union won't allow it is because they didn't negotiate it. Can't let management get a win.

The union could allow the raise and keep bargaining for other things besides wages. And they can continue to bargain for even higher wages, too. THE REASON the union won't allow it is because they didn't negotiate it. Can't let management get a win.
Your opinion only, and probably not correct.

You said the union prevented the employees from getting raises since 2019. Where do you see this?

You said the union prevented the employees from getting raises since 2019. Where do you see this?

Because that's the rule under the National Labor Relations Act.

Employers cannot give anyone any money beyond what's called for in the contract without the union's approval.

And the union will NEVER allow an employer to start raising wages without a new contract.

Employers cannot give anyone any money beyond what's called for in the contract without the union's approval.

And the union will NEVER allow an employer to start raising wages without a new contract.
Wow, never heard of that. Unions in the south must suck.

And I know the contract must be followed. I've never seen management offer a raise and the union deny it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT