ADVERTISEMENT

Americans who locked in a job, a home, and stocks are thriving. Everyone else missed out on their ticket to wealth.

likely i’m totally off but this may be the first thread in recent times with a centrist vibe to it

And you paid how much for a house? 60K?
1980. Southern California. A nice neighborhood in Orange County. $125,000. That was a lot of money back then but thank heavens we had just sold our house in northern New Jersey which was another expensive market. But a 12.5% interest rate on our mortgage was still expensive. Especially if my husband’s salary was maybe $35,000 IIRC. Other expenses that people have today didn’t exist then. No cable bill or Internet or computers. No cell phones. No Starbucks.
I looked up that house on Zillow recently. $1.6 million. For a 3/2 1700 square foot house.
Insane.

Reactions: Pinehawk
1980. Southern California. A nice neighborhood in Orange County. $125,000. That was a lot of money back then but thank heavens we had just sold our house in northern New Jersey which was another expensive market. But a 12.5% interest rate on our mortgage was still expensive. Especially if my husband’s salary was maybe $35,000 IIRC. Other expenses that people have today didn’t exist then. No cable bill or Internet or computers. No cell phones. No Starbucks.
I looked up that house on Zillow recently. $1.6 million. For a 3/2 1700 square foot house.
Insane.
What town were you in in NJ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT