ADVERTISEMENT

Amsterdam plans to ban weed from Red Light District streets

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
In their latest effort to rein in carousing visitors, Amsterdam officials announced plans this week to tamp down disruptive behavior in the city’s Red Light District, including barring pot-smoking on the streets, reducing hours for restaurants and brothels, and tightening some alcohol restrictions.

The rules are meant to ease the impact of hordes of sometimes-rowdy tourists on people who live in the area. An announcement from the city council referenced an alcohol- and drug-fueled atmosphere at night that makes the neighborhood unsafe and prevents residents from sleeping.

Officials are taking public comments on many of the proposed measures for the next four weeks before finalizing amendments to municipal bylaws.
The new rules of travel
Under the measures announced Thursday, the smoking ban would go into effect in mid-May. The city could take more action if the ban doesn’t go far enough to reduce nuisance behavior.

ADVERTISING

Also under consideration: banning to-go sales of drugs at coffee shops at certain times and potentially restricting smoking on cafe terraces.
In Mexico, smoking on the beach could now cost you $500
The Netherlands has a tolerance policy for weed, meaning people will not be prosecuted for buying up to five grams of cannabis, which is classified as a “soft drug” and sold in coffee shops. Only visitors 18 and older can enter cannabis cafes, which are not allowed to sell alcohol. While weed can be consumed in coffee shops, most clubs or bars do not allow people to smoke pot on-site.
The city issues permits for brothels and sex clubs to operate. Under rules that had already been decided, brothels will only be able to stay open until 3 a.m., not the 6 a.m. closing time in place now. Restaurants and sex establishments with catering licenses will have to close at 2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, rather than 3 or 4 a.m.
There will never be another Vermeer show as great as this one
No new visitors would be allowed into businesses with a catering license after 1 a.m., the English-language publication NL Times reported. The time changes would go into effect April 1, the publication said.

Officials also want to close terraces at 1 a.m. in the summer, a change from the previous closing time of 2 a.m.
Alcohol sales at stores and cafeterias in the district will continue to be blocked starting at 4 p.m. from Thursday through Sunday. The city says alcohol displays must also be removed from the shops or hidden from view. Visitors are already not allowed to drink on the streets.
As tourists return to Europe, some top destinations want fewer of them
Amsterdam has tried for years to address overtourism concerns, restricting some tours of the historic Red Light District before the pandemic and voting to move sex workers to an erotic center outside of the district in 2021. According to a November story in the Guardian, however, residents of the proposed neighborhoods for relocation don’t want the businesses — and the workers also don’t want to move.

Late last year, authorities said they planned to take steps to combat tourism problems, including limiting river cruises, curbing rowdy bachelor parties, cracking down on organized pub crawls and taking other measures. Part of the plan included some of the rules announced this week, such as reducing hours for sex businesses and catering establishments and banning smoking in some parts of the city.

A campaign is expected to start this year discouraging global visitors who want to party hard in the city.
“Amsterdammers live in every neighbourhood, including the Red Light District and Leidseplein,” the official visitor information site I amsterdam says. “Limit noise and drunkenness, clean up your mess and don’t pee in the canals. Keep in mind the locals and they will welcome you with open arms.”

LOL

good luck!

what next? no brothels?

when I went a few years ago you could get a contact high just walking through town, the locals hate it but they know it's brings tons of money to area

Reactions: cigaretteman
Then in 5 years the leaders of Amsterdam will wonder why no one is coming to visit and their revenue dollars are non existent.

When I was last in Amsterdam, you weren't allowed to smoke weed in out in the streets in public, but that was quite a long time ago. Has that changed in the last 10-15 years?

Breaks down like this, okay: it's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it, and if you're the proprietor of a hash bar, it's legal to sell it. It's illegal to carry it, but that doesn't really matter 'cause, get a load of this, all right; if you get stopped by the cops in Amsterdam, it's illegal for them to search you. I mean, that's a right the cops in Amsterdam don't have.

Who travels for weed anymore?

Oh yeah, red staters.
It would make Jesus cry if you legalized it, but you'll fly halfway across the world to smoke it somewhere else.

When I was last in Amsterdam, you weren't allowed to smoke weed in out in the streets in public, but that was quite a long time ago. Has that changed in the last 10-15 years?
I was there this summer and saw people smoking on the streets. I'm not sure on whether or not it is legal/illegal to do but people were.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT