ADVERTISEMENT

An excellent article/letter to the national media floating around

thewop

HR Legend
Jun 27, 2002
An excellent article was posted last night about Iowa's success thus far and the National, and even regional media being quick to dismiss Iowa's success based on our schedule. It's well worth the read.

If you do a google search for "Dear America: Iowa Doesn't care what you think" then it will show up first, click on it and enjoy.

I'm not sure if it's kosher to post a link so I won't. Blair or Tom can link it if they think it's ok.

Reactions: Joes Place
An excellent article was posted last night about Iowa's success thus far and the National, and even regional media being quick to dismiss Iowa's success based on our schedule. It's well worth the read.

If you do a google search for "Dear America: Iowa Doesn't care what you think" then it will show up first, click on it and enjoy.

I'm not sure if it's kosher to post a link so I won't. Blair or Tom can link it if they think it's ok.

I find this whole attitude embarrassing. Nobody in the media dislikes Iowa. Frankly, for the most part they probably don't think about Iowa enough to either like them or dislike them. This is a team that has fared quite poorly in recent years, and with no significant changes to roster and staff there was no reason for anybody to expect anything significant from the team.

Now they've gone 7-0, and they have climbed up the polls to pretty much where any unbiased person would place them. Yes, it's not their fault that they don't have a strong schedule, but by the same token it's not unreasonable for people to withhold judgement on how good they are until they've played a top-10 team. Hell, I would guess that the vast majority of Iowa fans are withholding their judgement on how good the Hawks are.

The most common term used by "the media" to discuss the Hawkeyes is "surprising", and this is completely accurate. Just enjoy the season and stop bitchin' about imagined disrespect.

Iowa fans sure are looking to play the victim card here.

The simple fact is we should be worried what the nation thinks about Iowa after game 12, not game 7. If you look at bowl projections, Iowa appears to have begun mixing it up with a much higher rental district - so some are starting to take notice.

Be patient. We're getting the rubber stamp reactions fresh after people are starting to realize oh crap, I guess we have to start talking Iowa now - and don't go looking for an insult. If Iowa TCB...everything will fall into place.

Reactions: MissouriHawkeye
Someone didn't read the article.

It isn't that iowa isn't getting respect. It'd that the media (and clown) narrative is incorrect and ill informed. JM is right.

His tone might be taken wrong by some but his message is 100 % correct

I ready the article. The whole purpose of it was to address the perceived disrespect that Iowa gets -- and he even led with the notion that they "don't like Iowa."

That he provided substantive reasons as to why Iowa deserves respect, the premise is that Iowa is not getting the respect they deserve. Which is a tired complaint.

I find this whole attitude embarrassing. Nobody in the media dislikes Iowa. Frankly, for the most part they probably don't think about Iowa enough to either like them or dislike them. This is a team that has fared quite poorly in recent years, and with no significant changes to roster and staff there was no reason for anybody to expect anything significant from the team.

Now they've gone 7-0, and they have climbed up the polls to pretty much where any unbiased person would place them. Yes, it's not their fault that they don't have a strong schedule, but by the same token it's not unreasonable for people to withhold judgement on how good they are until they've played a top-10 team. Hell, I would guess that the vast majority of Iowa fans are withholding their judgement on how good the Hawks are.

The most common term used by "the media" to discuss the Hawkeyes is "surprising", and this is completely accurate. Just enjoy the season and stop bitchin' about imagined disrespect.
Did you read the article? Their schedule thus far is more difficult than over half the teams that are ranked ahead of them.......an unbiased rating would put this years performance above those teams. You are basing you information on how they performed in recent years, well hell with that logic why even play any games and just throw bama, OSU, Oregon, etc. in the playoffs....

Did you read the article? Their schedule thus far is more difficult than over half the teams that are ranked ahead of them....

Are you sure about that? Not according to this link...where is suggests 5 of the 13 teams ranked ahead of Iowa have an easier schedule. I get what Jon Miller was trying to do with his article, but it comes across as one big glass of whine. Iowa has received plenty of credit, we've gone from unranked to top 15 in seven weeks, so that in and of itself suggests we are getting respect from the national media. Did Griese go overboard with a worn and tired narrative about our schedule, yes he most certainly did. But the truth of the matter is, our strength of schedule will only go down from this point forward and when the dust settles, it might barely be top 50. Nothing we can do about it except playing the games on our schedule.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Reactions: artradley
I ready the article. The whole purpose of it was to address the perceived disrespect that Iowa gets -- and he even led with the notion that they "don't like Iowa."

That he provided substantive reasons as to why Iowa deserves respect, the premise is that Iowa is not getting the respect they deserve. Which is a tired complaint.
Ok, you looked at the words that were written. Much different than comprehending what was written.

Too bad JM didn't include pictures for you, guys like you have an easier time with absorbing information

reading_is_fundamental_puzzle-r8176a084d6304804b2846d7a73a49ee1_amb07_8byvr_324_zps51409b29.jpg

Reactions: QChawks
I reckon it's better to be talked about than experience the media silence we've had fer 4-5 years. That there said, well written article expressin' the frustrations of watered down, no researchin', eye-ball test a-doin' boot lickin' media. Four buckeye stickers will be awarded to Jon.

Did you read the article? Their schedule thus far is more difficult than over half the teams that are ranked ahead of them.......an unbiased rating would put this years performance above those teams. You are basing you information on how they performed in recent years, well hell with that logic why even play any games and just throw bama, OSU, Oregon, etc. in the playoffs....

This is correct, and the article is spot on regarding schedules.

Iowa's schedule is front-end stacked, with all the good teams already having been played (although we have some pretty decent teams in Indiana, Nebraska and Minnesota, depending on which of them show up to play - all of them have put up some decent games this year, particularly Nebraska).

To criticize Iowa based on 'who they are going to play' is absolute nonsense. They've played a schedule FAR more difficult than several of the Top Ten darlings (TCU, Baylor, FSU), and put in some style points along the way. It would be refreshing for some of the ESPN pundits to point this out.

Sorry that the preseason polls and narrative doesn't fit reality at this point in the season. Oregon sucks. USC sucks. Ole Miss is sketchy. Duke is good. Stanford is looking pretty solid. Pitt looks good.

Iowa is being penalized in the media for playing good teams that no one thought would be good. None of the Top 10 is being penalized for playing crappy teams that were SUPPOSED to be good, but just aren't.

I think most realize that Iowa's season still hinges on CJB staying healthy the rest of the way. He has clearly elevated the play of those around him; still, it's nice that Wiegers is getting in some reps and it'll benefit us greatly to put teams away in 3 quarters to get him more time on the field.

This team is developing some significant depth, with younger players stepping in for those out with injuries, and getting more playing time during entire quarters after the win has essentially been sealed. That is how you build a solid program- you get LOTS of playing time for your non-starters, so when they are called on to start in big games, they are much better prepared. And that is what is happening this year.

Until 2 weeks ago, iowa didn't get any respect from the loud mouthed, so called fans on this site, let alone the national press. Some of the pretenders on here are still finding things to whine about or overly criticize KF about...I don't really care and I can assure you neither does KF or his staff. It's fun being the underdog and the accomplishments are so much sweeter when you silence the pundits and blow hards of the world.

While I tend to agree with what Jon's saying, in the end it just doesn't matter. The Hawks will get what they earn. As long as the players keep doing what they have done for the first 7 weeks it will all take care of itself. November always has taken care of those teams that are truly great and expose those that aren't.

I for one,am just enjoying each and every week.

I read the article and thought it was good. Hard to argue Stanford being ranked higher than Iowa at this point. Hopefully Wisconsin can keep winning, NW can get back on track, Pitt keeps winning and, most importantly, Iowa keeps winning and does so with some style. If Iowa State could knock off someone in the B12 that would be good too.

The Hawks will get what they earn....it will all take care of itself. November always has taken care of those teams that are truly great and expose those that aren't.

I disagree.

Yours truly, 2004 unbeaten-and-not-in-the-championship-game Auburn.

Whether you like it or not...the article has done exactly what it was designed to.

Herbie has linked it:

https://twitter.com/KirkHerbstreit

And Herbie is talking a lot about the Hawks now.
Herbie has always given love to Iowa and even supported us when no one has. But quite frankly we have sucked and it will catch up if we Keep improving....

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
And written by a guy who picked Northwestern over Iowa. But a good read. Isn't it about time for Jim Rome to go on an anti Iowa rant? And if so would anybody listen?

That's a paradox.

Is there any way to actually know what Rome is doing when no one listens?

I disagree.

Yours truly, 2004 unbeaten-and-not-in-the-championship-game Auburn.

Look I love the Hawks but at this point I just don't see us as being one of the Top 4 teams in the country. Top Ten and matching up with a one or two loss team Stanford in the Rose Bowl, yep I would sign for that right now and be good.

Look I love the Hawks but at this point I just don't see us as being one of the Top 4 teams in the country. Top Ten and matching up with a one or two loss team Stanford in the Rose Bowl, yep I would sign for that right now and be good.
I have heard Iowa mentioned twice this morning on a The Dan Patrick show

A couple weeks ago after Iowa beat Wisconsin I was watching one of those ESPN college football shows and one of the analysts said something to the effect of Iowa looks like they are getting back to Iowa football and then another analyst started laughing and said "what is Iowa football?" just totally dismissive like Iowa has never had an identity or never been a good program.

Honestly, it came across a little childish.

+1. Iowa is getting attention. ESPN radio was talking about Iowa for awhile Saturday afternoon, mentioned as a playoff contender on ESPN this morning. Herbstreit talking about the Hawks during the OSU/PSU game Saturday night, etc...................Just keep winning if you want more attention, it will come.

Reactions: herecomethehawkeyes
A couple weeks ago after Iowa beat Wisconsin I was watching one of those ESPN college football shows and one of the analysts said something to the effect of Iowa looks like they are getting back to Iowa football and then another analyst started laughing and said "what is Iowa football?" just totally dismissive like Iowa has never had an identity or never been a good program.

Run the ball and play good fundemental defense. Play nasty. Have a strong leader at QB. Simple formula and I love the way this team is playing. The OL is run blocking on another level right now. Hopefully it snowballs for the rest of the season.

Iowa's schedule is front-end stacked, with all the good teams already having been played (although we have some pretty decent teams in Indiana, Nebraska and Minnesota, depending on which of them show up to play - all of them have put up some decent games this year, particularly Nebraska).

To criticize Iowa based on 'who they are going to play' is absolute nonsense. They've played a schedule FAR more difficult than several of the Top Ten darlings (TCU, Baylor, FSU), and put in some style points along the way. It would be refreshing for some of the ESPN pundits to point this out.

Sorry that the preseason polls and narrative doesn't fit reality at this point in the season. Oregon sucks. USC sucks. Ole Miss is sketchy. Duke is good. Stanford is looking pretty solid. Pitt looks good.

Iowa is being penalized in the media for playing good teams that no one thought would be good. None of the Top 10 is being penalized for playing crappy teams that were SUPPOSED to be good, but just aren't.

I think most realize that Iowa's season still hinges on CJB staying healthy the rest of the way. He has clearly elevated the play of those around him; still, it's nice that Wiegers is getting in some reps and it'll benefit us greatly to put teams away in 3 quarters to get him more time on the field.

This team is developing some significant depth, with younger players stepping in for those out with injuries, and getting more playing time during entire quarters after the win has essentially been sealed. That is how you build a solid program- you get LOTS of playing time for your non-starters, so when they are called on to start in big games, they are much better prepared. And that is what is happening this year.

Again, his facts seem fine. It's his premise that is flawed and paranoid. If his premise were "while it's true Iowa has no signature wins, and their schedule has not been particularly difficult, a closer look at the schedule reveals it's been more challenging than many assume, and we can't rule out that Iowa is even better than their current 12/13 ranking"; it could be seen as a good, informative article.

But when the premise is "nobody likes us and we never get the respect we deserve" then the rest of the article become less relevant; because the message that most are going to get out of it is that Iowa fans are a bunch of whiners. We escaped with some narrow wins early in the season, we now seem to possibly really be hitting our stride, and we've gone from off-the-radar to knocking on the door of a top-10 undefeated season. Why write articles that start with a loud whine? Why not be happy?

[and btw, nobody has criticized Iowa over who they are going to play. They rightfully point out that it's going to be difficult for Iowa to prove themselves over the rest of the regular season, because they don't have an top opponent that will provide them that opportunity. That's not criticism, that's analysis.]

Thank you, and milehigh, for well reasoned and expressed material here. Go Hawks!

+1. Iowa is getting attention. ESPN radio was talking about Iowa for awhile Saturday afternoon, mentioned as a playoff contender on ESPN this morning. Herbstreit talking about the Hawks during the OSU/PSU game Saturday night, etc...................Just keep winning if you want more attention, it will come.
Good post. That article was cringe-worthy, especially at this point in the season. They are ranked where they should be at this point, and are getting the proper amount of respect for their position. This tired argument of Iowa's lack of respect is way past expiration.

Reactions: Coyote8
Its not whether or not they are talking about Iowa, it is how they are talking about Iowa. The narrative keeps changing as the season goes on so that it fits with their preseason expectations. Michigan destroys NW and the conversation is "Michigan is dominant", Iowa beats NW on the road with several key injuries the narrative changes "NW is not very good"....not only did we beat NW, but we dominated them far more statistically than Michigan. All of a sudden their victory against Stanford does not mean anything? How the hell is a one loss Stanford ranked ahead of us with common opponent in which we beat is their only loss. The rankings now are solely predicated on their precious preseason rating, they base their rankings on how good they thought the teams would be instead of how good the teams actually are. I understand being underrated early in the season, but by week 8 this preseason garbage should just be thrown out. The article is spot on b/c the only reason they are now talking about Iowa is because the team has forced them too. So now they are trying to devalue Iowa's current status based on a perceived strength of schedule (as opposed to actual strength at this point) and to make matters worse all they can talk about is the remaining portion of our schedule instead of our current body of work. Rankings should be based solely on what a team has done with the games they have played to this point, not based on if they are the winning-est program, had a good year last year, a bad year last year, and certainly should not be based on a teams remaining schedule. ....say what you want, but this could very well be a much bigger deal than you think if in fact Iowa takes care of their business. The article is not whining at all, IMO. If you throw the team names out and conference affiliation out and preseason predictions out and look solely at the body of work to this point and look only at those facts Iowa would be ranked much much much higher (Probably in the top 7 maybe higher) Those are facts that you can not argue

Good post. That article was cringe-worthy, especially at this point in the season. They are ranked where they should be at this point, and are getting the proper amount of respect for their position. This tired argument of Iowa's lack of respect is way past expiration.
Oh thank goodness, SP is on the opposing view on this article. That should validate that our side of the argument b/c SP is just.....well he is never right.....thanks SP that should wrap this argument up nicely

Am I the only one who actually wants us to continue to get disrespected? Just keep the chip in place and win out and things have a way of working themselves out.

Reactions: Coyote8
Am I the only one who actually wants us to continue to get disrespected? Just keep the chip in place and win out and things have a way of working themselves out.
By all means I am not saying it is all a bad things, we tend to thrive when being undervalued.....I just simply think this article is spot on

Facts or not, Iowa hasn't deserved to be in the National spotlight for a long time now.

This year they are doing great, yet there are a lot of teams doing great and many of them are teams that attract a much bigger national audience, or they have been much more consistently producing results on the field.

If Iowa loses a game in which they are favored in the next few weeks, what difference does it make if they are 12 or 7 right now? Iowa has a great great opportunity in front of them and listening to B Griese or Steve Levy do an Iowa game having done almost no prep-work, while annoying, shouldn't be all that surprising.

Just win out. It will take care of itself.

Lots of teams from the sec don't deserve to be in the national spotlight and yet they are. Stop being so Iowa and being ok with getting walked on. The national pundits are lining their own pockets while pushing Iowa and teams like Iowa to the side and many of you are thanking them for the experience. Or worse yet agreeing with them. If it were up to these blowhards Ohio state wouldn't have been in the playoff last year because of strength of schedule. ESPN has beating the propaganda drum for years now due to their own financial interests and yes it does matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT