ADVERTISEMENT

Another Monument Being Taken Down

I've been there. Nobody goes there. It is a waste of a park and covered in graffiti anyway and required a full time contingent of guards to prevent further vandalism. The library in the background is pretty cool though. There are so many of these awful Russian-built monuments throughout Eastern Europe. I look forward to the dismantlement of all of them. Except for the kickass giant Russian soldier statue in Berlin.

I've been there. Nobody goes there. It is a waste of a park and covered in graffiti anyway and required a full time contingent of guards to prevent further vandalism. The library in the background is pretty cool though. There are so many of these awful Russian-built monuments throughout Eastern Europe. I look forward to the dismantlement of all of them. Except for the kickass giant Russian soldier statue in Berlin.
Pic for reference of the latter.

800x600

Cement features prominently in almost all Russian architecture, post WWII. They can't get enough of the concrete.

A2971-10-Examples-of-Brutalism-in-Russian-Architecture-Image-10.jpg

p03xg5js.jpg

main-qimg-621eb4d5f09d33af3277d82b2b513017-lq

LmpwZw.jpg

Reactions: GES4

Why do you like the latter?

The Soviet war memorials in Germany are often hit with vandalism.

Why do you like the latter?

The Soviet war memorials in Germany are often hit with vandalism.
It is imposing and stark and the sculpture itself is cool. In the abstract, with no historical context. And the location is ripe with history.

The Riga monument is objectively awful and ugly.

Reactions: mnole03
Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT