ADVERTISEMENT

Another tipping thread

Oh, you're the "I usually tip well but the service just wasn't up to my standard" guy. You walk in looking for a reason to skimp the tip because you are cheap.
Not at all. I just feel like service has gotten really bad lately. Everyone wants to do the minimum for the most. The last time I had excellent service was in Chicago, the waitress never let my water get below half, always had a drink coming, made sure we had everything we needed and often. She got 30%. I really appreciated her effort. Last 5-6 times i've been out to eat the service has been meh to bad. For that you get a meh tip. I believe that's fair.

What was the last "high end" restaurant you went to? Also, it's pretty clear you can't afford going to an expensive restaurant when you aren't able to tip appropriately. Time to set your status bar a bit lower, where it clearly belongs.
My income is fine. I'm just not an idiot who throws money at mediocre service. Let me ask you a question. You're remodeling your house SP and hire a very well know trim company to come in and case the doors and windows, do some custom work around a fire place and bar. They finish the job and your bill is 30k, the exact estimate. As you walk around the house you notice that some trim has gaps in it, it's not completely level around the bar, they filled in some spots with caulk ect...Are you happy and pay the bill in full when it comes? Or did you expect better work, for that kind of cash, from a high end company? Some of us expect to get the service we pay for in life, that's no different in eating out or getting work done on your home. If that makes me cheap fine. I have zero problems paying more for quality.

Reactions: CalGuti
Again, you're married. Why would YOU walk around the store? And who takes an hour and a half to shop? I can only assume this shopping is being done at a Super Wal-Mart if you take that long.

Also, your wife is more than capable of going to the store with an infant. It's been done billions of times before by less capable women.

Are you saying that you don't go to the store simply because you're the guy in your relationship? Seems pretty simple minded. I should not be surprised though when you assumed A) we have one infant B) the store I'm talking about is a Walmart. The thread clearly says twins and Hy Vee. Do they have a Sylvan Learning Center in Seattle/QCA? That reading comprehension should be looked at.

Not at all. I just feel like service has gotten really bad lately. Everyone wants to do the minimum for the most. The last time I had excellent service was in Chicago, the waitress never let my water get below half, always had a drink coming, made sure we had everything we needed and often. She got 30%. I really appreciated her effort. Last 5-6 times i've been out to eat the service has been meh to bad. For that you get a meh tip. I believe that's fair.

Just a hunch, you're getting "meh" service because you go to the same places and you are known as a shitty tipper. Not saying it's right, but making a guess based on your posts on tipping. You're "that guy".

Reactions: stout1
Another question, because I have never worked in the industry outside of a little bartending when I was in college (a LONG time ago). Is the wage scale different at high end restaurants than at others? If a tip is just a part of paying for the service you receive, is that service worth more bringing you a $70 steak than it is a $25 steak?

High end places are paying servers better than low end places, but they are still working on a tip wage and when people like some in this thread, feel less than 10% is adequate, they are getting stiffed and can easily end up losing money on a table.

Just a hunch, you're getting "meh" service because you go to the same places and you are known as a shitty tipper. Not saying it's right, but making a guess based on your posts on tipping. You're "that guy".
Are you saying that you don't go to the store simply because you're the guy in your relationship? Seems pretty simple minded. I should not be surprised though when you assumed A) we have one infant B) the store I'm talking about is a Walmart. The thread clearly says twins and Hy Vee. Do they have a Sylvan Learning Center in Seattle/QCA? That reading comprehension should be looked at.
She doesn't work. You do. I would say that's reason enough. And is the store not open on weekends? Or during the evening? And how does it take an hour and a half to do grocery shopping? I do the responsibility from time to time, and I haven't clocked in at over an hour ever.

My income is fine. I'm just not an idiot who throws money at mediocre service. Let me ask you a question. You're remodeling your house SP and hire a very well know trim company to come in and case the doors and windows, do some custom work around a fire place and bar. They finish the job and your bill is 30k, the exact estimate. As you walk around the house you notice that some trim has gaps in it, it's not completely level around the bar, they filled in some spots with caulk ect...Are you happy and pay the bill in full when it comes? Or did you expect better work, for that kind of cash, from a high end company? Some of us expect to get the service we pay for in life, that's no different in eating out or getting work done on your home. If that makes me cheap fine. I have zero problems paying more for quality.
But you DO have problems paying for quality-a quality restaurant. Please, tell me specifically where you had good service in Chicago and where you had mediocre service at a "good" restaurant. I can't imagine anyone wants to dine with you. Which goes more to explain why you and your wife don't do anything on the weekends.

She doesn't work. You do. I would say that's reason enough. And is the store not open on weekends? Or during the evening? And how does it take an hour and a half to do grocery shopping? I do the responsibility from time to time, and I haven't clocked in at over an hour ever.

She does work. She's on maternity leave. That should have been somewhat obvious but it is quite clear that I should have spelled it out for you.

Honestly, are you even trying anymore? Or are you just throwing sewage onto your keyboard and hitting "post reply"? You're going down hill.

High end places are paying servers better than low end places, but they are still working on a tip wage and when people like some in this thread, feel less than 10% is adequate, they are getting stiffed and can easily end up losing money on a table.

I guess I'm not understanding this. I was under the assumption that the tips were split among the servers, bartenders, etc., so I'm not sure how they would lose money unless the bartender is getting paid a % of the ticket rather than a % of the tip.

It's actually the opposite. I used to tip 25% min everywhere reguardless of service. Finally one night a friend told me what I was doing was rediculous. He basically have me the format I use today. Earn your tip. Excellent service gets an excellent tip. Meh service gets a meh tip. You shouldn't have things handed to you for just showing up and doing the minimum. if you don't understand that, your just trying to be difficult.

She does work. She's on maternity leave. That should have been somewhat obvious but it is quite clear that I should have spelled it out for you.

Honestly, are you even trying anymore? Or are you just throwing sewage onto your keyboard and hitting "post reply"? You're going down hill.
She still works while on maternity leave?

You haven't spelled anything out, other than she (or you, I guess) are incapable of making it to Hy Vee, even though you have similar road blocks than a good portion of the American population.

Hy Vee is delivering groceries to the household this morning, wife will be home while I'm at work. What would HROT say the standard tipping rate of grocery delivery is?
I would much rather grocery shop myself but due to a hip replacement have used HyVees service. They due charge 15 for home delivery. The guys that deliver are all retirement age and are probably supplementing their income. The first few times I tipped them they said it was not necessary but they took it when I insisted. i only gave them 2 or 3 dollars which I think is ok on top of the 15.00. If you have them shop and just pick up the groceries it's only 10.00. But the extra five is well worth it to have them tote them up a flight of stairs.. The web site that you use to shop could use a lot of improvement however.

She still works while on maternity leave?

You haven't spelled anything out, other than she (or you, I guess) are incapable of making it to Hy Vee, even though you have similar road blocks than a good portion of the American population.

She works and is on maternity leave. She is being paid while on maternity leave, therefore is both employed (see: works) and on maternity leave. Does Burger King not offer any kind of benefit package to you? Do they not adhere to FMLA? You should report that.

Aren't you the one who not long ago spouted about how someone's marriage was crap cause they didn't want to spend time with their family? And now you're complaining about someone wanting to spend time with their family and happy that there is a service that delivers groceries? If you concentrated on just one persona you might have an easier time keeping it on track.

But you DO have problems paying for quality-a quality restaurant. Please, tell me specifically where you had good service in Chicago and where you had mediocre service at a "good" restaurant. I can't imagine anyone wants to dine with you. Which goes more to explain why you and your wife don't do anything on the weekends.
Well actually we're busy every weekend and contrary to your beliefs I'm quite popular. To help you out I said we don't do things APART on weekends. Anyways I'll list my last few restaurants for ya. I exclude the Applebee's and ruby Tuesday's of the world. You know what your going to get there.
Excellent service- Gibson's in Chicago.
Meh service- 801 Chophouse in Des, Johnnys in Altoona, and Lucca in Des.
Terrible service- Ruth Chris in Chicago and some steakhouse across from merle hay mall in Des Moines. Went with my boss for supper in polos a were eyeballed the whole time. Everyone was in suits and such. Waiter was pathetic and that's generous. Place was spendy to. I had never heard of it and can't remember the name.

I guess I'm not understanding this. I was under the assumption that the tips were split among the servers, bartenders, etc., so I'm not sure how they would lose money unless the bartender is getting paid a % of the ticket rather than a % of the tip.
$300 bill
$25 tip
Bartender gets 10% of alcohol sales (for example places will have different amounts but is almost always, at least in my experience, based on sales of alcohol not on what is tipped). Even if just $50 of his $300 dollar bill was alcohol that's $5 to the bartender.
Down to $20.
Cash out at end of night and have to claim a "minimum" amount of tips (again this number can change from establishment to establishment but if you're working on a tip credit and at an establishment with a POS system you're claiming some percentage of sales at the end of the night). 8% is a common number (this doesn't mean the server only has to claim 8%, just that the restaurants POS system is going to require to see at least the claimed) So 8% of $300 is $24
-4 and that's assuming only $50 of alcohol on a $300 ticket.

Yes, it is. The server most likely has to tip out a bartender and claim a minimum percentage of tips of her total bills (not including taxes) before she cashes out at night. Someone tipping less than 10% on a $300 bill can actually put a server upside down on the night after she tips out a bartender and closes her station. Not only cheap and inconsiderate you most likely ruin your servers night, and get talked about repeatedly at the bar afterwards with his/her co-workers.

If you can afford to drop $300 on a dinner bill, you should also be able to afford $60 in a tip. A server friend of mine one time was walking away from a larger party (table of 8ish) and I could tell by the look on his face he had been stiffed. When he came back and was clearing the table one of the people from the table came back in and handed him something (found out later $50). Turns out it wasn't he guy who took everyone out to eat "my treat!" was cheap and had tipped less than he was going to have to tip out his bartenders. The gentleman that came back had saw the tip that was written in, didn't say a word, left and waited for the guy who paid to leave. Came back in and tipped Rick, apologizing for his "cheap and ignorant friend".
I had to do this once, a buddy of mine's wife was a crazy *itch and left a $5 tip on a $120 tab for the 4 of us. I circled back to leave $20 more so it was at least 15%.

Also 15% is the minimum you leave for the tip at a restaurant, that means the service was not good and if it's good you leave more. People that don't leave 15%, scum of the earth.

As for grocery deliveries, the tips are usually small, it's designed more for the elderly then the lazy. $5 to $10 bucks is the norm, I have a friend at Hy Vee in Marion that told me that. Grandma Gert isn't usually handing out $60 tips. Just a heads up on how it's normally handled.

She works and is on maternity leave. She is being paid while on maternity leave, therefore is both employed (see: works) and on maternity leave. Does Burger King not offer any kind of benefit package to you? Do they not adhere to FMLA? You should report that.

Aren't you the one who not long ago spouted about how someone's marriage was crap cause they didn't want to spend time with their family? And now you're complaining about someone wanting to spend time with their family and happy that there is a service that delivers groceries? If you concentrated on just one persona you might have an easier time keeping it on track.
So,she isn't working NOW due to maternity leave, correct? Yet she needs grocery delivery?

I do think quality time with family is a valuable thing. But I don't think taking an hour apart to get groceries is going to damage your family. It may even teach your kids how to behave in public, as well as a good work ethic.

So,she isn't working NOW due to maternity leave, correct? Yet she needs grocery delivery?

I do think quality time with family is a valuable thing. But I don't think taking an hour apart to get groceries is going to damage your family. It may even teach your kids how to behave in public, as well as a good work ethic.
How does one teach newborn twins how to act in public?

This thread is so odd. The OP ought to get nominated for husband of the year for finding a way to not only make his wife and new mother's life easier, but doing while spending more time with them all for $15 bucks. Instead he's called all sorts of names. I think a lot of you sound jealious of Mrs. Perky. Speaking of which, pic please?

$300 bill
$25 tip
Bartender gets 10% of alcohol sales (for example places will have different amounts but is almost always, at least in my experience, based on sales of alcohol not on what is tipped). Even if just $50 of his $300 dollar bill was alcohol that's $5 to the bartender.
Down to $20.
Cash out at end of night and have to claim a "minimum" amount of tips (again this number can change from establishment to establishment but if you're working on a tip credit and at an establishment with a POS system you're claiming some percentage of sales at the end of the night). 8% is a common number (this doesn't mean the server only has to claim 8%, just that the restaurants POS system is going to require to see at least the claimed) So 8% of $300 is $24
-4 and that's assuming only $50 of alcohol on a $300 ticket.

Interesting, because again I don't know. Seems like a system geared against the server, I always thought the tips were split in some proportion. The bartender gets the good end of this deal, as a good server (I was always taught never let a drink glass get empty) is doing the work while the bartender is getting the benefit.

This thread is so odd. The OP ought to get nominated for husband of the year for finding a way to not only make his wife and new mother's life easier, but doing while spending more time with them all for $15 bucks. Instead he's called all sorts of names. I think a lot of you sound jealious of Mrs. Perky. Speaking of which, pic please?

Exactly. The OP simply asks whether a tip is the right thing to do, but is chastised for spending 15-20 bucks so that his wife doesn't have to take 2 newborns (still on maternity leave, so clearly <6-8 weeks old) to go buy groceries. HROT at it's best....... or worst.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Interesting, because again I don't know. Seems like a system geared against the server, I always thought the tips were split in some proportion. The bartender gets the good end of this deal, as a good server (I was always taught never let a drink glass get empty) is doing the work while the bartender is getting the benefit.

Not if people are not cheap like Derek. Take the same ticket with a 20% tip instead of the less than 10% he was advocating for. Server does just fine, can tip bartender and even kitchen if they wanted.

Watch a good bartender on a busy night. Many times they are the only one behind the bar, taking care of their own customers and making drinks for every person in the place. They should be tipped out and 10% of alcohol sales isn't asking too much.

Not if people are not cheap like Derek. Take the same ticket with a 20% tip instead of the less than 10% he was advocating for. Server does just fine, can tip bartender and even kitchen if they wanted.

Watch a good bartender on a busy night. Many times they are the only one behind the bar, taking care of their own customers and making drinks for every person in the place. They should be tipped out and 10% of alcohol sales isn't asking too much.

Not saying 10% is too much because I agree as a bartender you can work your tail off (been there), I just wasn't aware that was how it worked. For the little while I did it (back in the stone ages) the tip jar was basically split between the servers and bartenders. Tip jar should tell you how long ago that was. :)

I'm unintentionally misrepresenting "upside down" @as well. The server is still walking out with the cash. Th ey are just getting taxed on more than what they earned.
my math example above isn't really correct as they don't give up 24 dollars but are taxed on it. But remember they are making considerably less than minimum wage, so getting taxed on money you didn't make is significant.

I'm unintentionally misrepresenting "upside down" @as well. The server is still walking out with the cash. Th ey are just getting taxed on more than what they earned.
my math example above isn't really correct as they don't give up 24 dollars but are taxed on it. But remember they are making considerably less than minimum wage, so getting taxed on money you didn't make is significant.

Understood. Also why my tips (or even payment when we're talking about the mechanic, etc.) are generally cash so Uncle Sam doesn't necessarily get his piece of the pie.

We went to dinner at the club tonight. They added a service charge of 20% plus 7% tax on the SC. They also had a line on the bill for extra gratuity. The kid did a good job should I have left more or was what they already charged enough? They were clearly asking for it!

I tip about 50% at waffle houses and dennys late at night if the service is even average. Those poor souls having to do that to make ends meet, and you know they are getting stiffed constantly. I had a 9 dollar bill once and left a 20 because the poor young lady got a dollar and change from the table of 4 before us.

I eat out constantly. And I never have "bad" service. If I did, I would probably leave about 15. I always leave at least 20, except for one occasion, and that's when they put the automatic 18% on your bill. I think people who say they get "bad" service are usually just looking for a reason to complain, and stiff the waiter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT