ADVERTISEMENT

Have any of you ever organized an intervention for an alcoholic?

Do you know anyone with long term sobriety who is in a program that could go with you when you speak with him? A normy going alone may not be the best approach. I will keep all of you in my prayers. There is a whole world out there without booze for him to enjoy if he can start doing the work to get sober. Hopefully his higher power will help him get along.

Hate to say, but at his age it’s unlikely he’s gonna change now. My dad retired a few years ago and has basically given up on taking care of himself. He literally can’t be bothered to at least go for a walk. He’s put on 30 pounds at least. Just sits at home watching tv, drinking beer, and smokes a pack a day. It breaks my heart, but there’s no way he’s gonna change his ways. To be honest, I’m just grateful he’s still alive at 75. Been smoking his whole life and not gave a fvck about his health. Sometimes, it is what it is.

Maybe you can just start with a private conversation by bringing up when he mentioned taking that pill and let him know you think it may be time.
Naltrexone might be better for some people than antabuse(disulfiram).

With Naltrexone you can take an injection that lasts 30 days, he can still drink but won't feel any euphoria/buzz.

Last edited:
Hate to say, but at his age it’s unlikely he’s gonna change now. My dad retired a few years ago and has basically given up on taking care of himself. He literally can’t be bothered to at least go for a walk. He’s put on 30 pounds at least. Just sits at home watching tv, drinking beer, and smokes a pack a day. It breaks my heart, but there’s no way he’s gonna change his ways. To be honest, I’m just grateful he’s still alive at 75. Been smoking his whole life and not gave a fvck about his health. Sometimes, it is what it is.
Maybe he's disappointed for raising a libtard like you?

• Haha
Reactions: Roncuba55
My son's boss was able to convince him to detox and get the help he needed. Nothing anyone else tried was working. We were able to find the right antidepressants and while he still can struggle wit depression he doesn't drink.

I had a co-worker who tried everything for his wife. She literally drank herself to death in her 50's.

Chances are pretty slim that you can help him. What will happen if you don't try?

At what age is it “too late” comes to my mind.

Not sure 60 is “too late” but sure is closer to “yes, it’s too late” vs “you need to get this under control, you have a whole life in front of you”.

To phrase on another way, if I met a 85 year old alcoholic I would say, “let him, he earned it”.

At that age that is a huge hill to climb when social drinking is almost a retirement staple for many.

I think wife and kids needs to be the people that do it. Friends can likely help by trying to take alcohol out of social interactions.

Reactions: SolarHawk
I don’t think there is much anyone can do until he sees it as a problem.

I know for me I stopped talking to my dad until he got his shit together. He was about 50 something when he finally got his drinking under control. Watching my dad drink his problems away when I was growing up is why I never got into alcohol. I tried beer once in college and didn’t get past two or three sips because it was so awful. I just never understood putting something into your body that was going to cause you to act utterly stupid.

I hope your friend wises up and sees the damage he is doing to his family. Good luck in trying to help him. It’s worth a shot, but don’t take it personally if he tells you to **** off. That’s just what alcoholics do.

I'm sure he knows it is a problem.

One of my very good friends, early 60's, has been an alcoholic for a long time. He had a very successful career managing the finances of a large international law firm. Probably hasn't done that for 20 years or so and is now working from home as a headhunter for legal firms. He's had the issue for a long time. Usually when he goes on a huge bender, it is with the guys. Last night his wife was out of town and he went out with 4 couples. By 5 when we got there, he was a mess. By end of night, he literally could not take a step forward without one of us on each arm. Didn't help that he had at least 10 mg of gummies, maybe more. Anyway, these events are getting more common. His 2 sons are disgusted with him and his daughter won't talk to him. His wife is lovely and extremely patient. Anyway, I have been thinking for awhile that an intervention might be needed. After last night, my wife and another one of the women think it needs to be done. He'll kill himself, one way or another if we don't. It will likely fall on me to organize something, likely with his wife and SIL. Anybody done this? Know of a website that has a guide for it? Any anecdotal things you would advise to do or not do?
I know in Iowa at least two members of the family can file a court order to have him committed against his will. It wasn’t a pretty site and was difficult to do, but it happened in my extended family.

Reactions: BrianNole777
My grandfather quit drinking when he had a stroke and was hospitalized for several weeks. It turns out they don't serve Schlitz to Intensive Care patients. He had the shakes for a while from alcohol withdrawal, so it's unlikely he would have been able to physically stop on his own.

• Wow
Wow. Take a break dickwad.
You have to forgive @Here_4_a_Day. He outed himself in another thread as a fat f*ck who is scared of exercise and now in this thread it is clear he also over indulges in booze. All he is capable of is tearing down and trolling other people since he lacks the intelligence, empathy and drive to make positive contributions to society.

I would feel bad for the s*ck bastard if the image of this fatty lecturing other people on lifestyle wasn’t so damn hilarious.

giphy.gif

My brother is 30 and was hospitalized from drinking so much over the last few years and I hope it never gets to that point for this person. I wish you the best of luck on all of this because there's no easy answer. It's always going to be hard to care about someone more than they care for themselves.

• Sad
he’s pretty severely overweight and recently started Ozempic to lose it.

This may be his saving grace. I have heard this cuts out the appetite along with wanting to consume alcohol. Give it some time and it may curb his alcohol intake by default.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT