ADVERTISEMENT

Any bird watchers here?

DooBi

HR Legend
Sep 18, 2006
Anyone know what this bird is? I heard there were a lot of migrating birds coming through iowa this week. I've seen some cool ones.

20240522-084245.jpg

I just got back from Alabama and my aunt lives on about four acres with bird feeders everywhere. She really enjoys bird watching and over the years she’s drawn so many different ones who know there’s food out for them.
I loved sitting out back on her big covered patio with my coffee and enjoying the show. Now if those pesky squirrels would just get their own food.

Northern Flicker
IMO you have to get close to see how colorful they are and are plain Janes compared to other woodpeckers. I call them flying rabbits because they are usually on the ground and I usually only see a white butt as they fly away from me:)

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Recent birds I've taken pics of. Reason why I've got chigger bites all over !!

Indigo bunting
DSCN6771.jpg

Summer tanager
DSCN6646.jpg

Eastern bluebird
DSCN6987.jpg
Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

My neighborhood has tons of mature oak trees so we see a pretty good variety of birds. Saw my first goldfinch of the season last weekend. Otherwise, it's mainly sparrows, robins, cardinals, blue jays (assholes), blackbirds and woodpeckers.

441452148_10227282629983940_144361306190567000_n.jpg

Bobolink

442475573_10227279827793887_4001123684355022154_n.jpg

Sandhill Crane and colts near Stratford, Ia. (I drive and spot-the wife take photos.)
Were the cranes with colts near Bjorkboda Marsh? I'm way up here in BFE NW IA, but I have a kid in Ames at ISU. So I try to make a stop at Bjorkboda every time I get down that way.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

My neighborhood has tons of mature oak trees so we see a pretty good variety of birds. Saw my first goldfinch of the season last weekend. Otherwise, it's mainly sparrows, robins, cardinals, blue jays (assholes), blackbirds and woodpeckers.
About the same here just add in orioles and humming birds.
We’d probably have more but damn raccoons keep destroying my feeders.

I'm not much of a bird watcher, but I've spotted this guy a few times in the park near our house. I learned it's a Black-Crowned Night Heron. While it's not extremely rare, I guess it's still pretty cool to come across one in Colorado.

The pic doesn't do it justice, but this bird is massive - I'm guessing close to 20" tall. The first time I saw it, I did a double-take because, from a distance, it almost looked like there was a penguin perched in the tree! 😂

Screenshot-2024-05-22-at-10-14-55-AM.png

end oI just got back from Alabama and my aunt lives on about four acres with bird feeders everywhere. She really enjoys bird watching and over the years she’s drawn so many different ones who know there’s food out for them.
I loved sitting out back on her big covered patio with my coffee and enjoying the show. Now if those pesky squirrels would just get their own food.
this year we have been feeding black, red and gray squirrels, the grays have a huge nest in the upper southern end of the garage where they winter.

Reactions: h-hawk
I'm not much of a bird watcher, but I've spotted this guy a few times in the park near our house. I learned it's a Black-Crowned Night Heron. While it's not extremely rare, I guess it's still pretty cool to come across one in Colorado.

The pic doesn't do it justice, but this bird is massive - I'm guessing close to 20" tall. The first time I saw it, I did a double-take because, from a distance, it almost looked like there was a penguin perched in the tree! 😂

Screenshot-2024-05-22-at-10-14-55-AM.png
Those things are interesting. There was one down near the old fort in Sacramento who used to eat all the ducklings.

• Wow
Reactions: GlenHawk and h-hawk
Were the cranes with colts near Bjorkboda Marsh? I'm way up here in BFE NW IA, but I have a kid in Ames at ISU. So I try to make a stop at Bjorkboda every time I get down that way.
I think that is how you spell it:) We saw them when we were leaving the farm slough area and going to the official Marsh site. They were just up the hill from the farm slough. We were double lucky-we saw them on the way out to the lake and then again crossing that road when we were coming back.
The call they made was amazing-I thought there was something wrong with our car or I had run over something. It was as if they were throwing their call into our vehicle.

The gold finches have been insane here in the campground this week. You'll drive up on them all on the ground and all of a sudden 30 of them take off to the trees all at once. Really cool.

I've seen several orioles here and some other wild colored sparrow looking birds.

Reactions: GOHOX69 and h-hawk
Also thanks for the answer of Northern Flicker. It was very close snd very beautiful.

About the same here just add in orioles and humming birds.
We’d probably have more but damn raccoons keep destroying my feeders.
Switch to safflower seed. Coons and squirrels won't eat it.

Cost me several feeders to learn this.

We have dozens of cardinals, dove, tufted Titmouse, flycatcher, hummingbirds, house wrens, chickadees...I"m sure I'm forgetting some...

Anyone know what this bird is? I heard there were a lot of migrating birds coming through iowa this week. I've seen some cool ones.

20240522-084245.jpg
I had one dangling from my suet feeder a few months ago.
My son is a bird watcher. He loves exploring the parks around the Twin Cities, and within a short drive of Minneapolis on the weekends.

Love bird watching! We have 5 acres that I’m slowly trying to turn into a bird paradise. Lots of feeders up but also lots of trees and native plants. We’ve had goldfinches all year long the last couple of years, which I didn’t know they did. Had an oriole nest in a tree last year and I’ve seen one collecting milkweed strands to build another one this year. Also lots of migrating birds coming through this spring.

Download the Merlin App. It's a bird identifier app from the Cornell Ornithology Dept that will listen to birds and list them as they make noises. I started it out on a whim after reading it was one of the top dl'd apps recently and next thing you know I'm registered with Ebird and at 102 species on my life list in just over a month lol. It's like real life Pokémon go.

Good for you guys. I don't have a birdfeeder because I hate Bluejays
In the 7 years we’ve lived out in the country, I’ve seen maybe 2 Bluejays. They are definitely assholes so I’m glad we don’t get many. It helps that we don’t have any platform feeders. You could always get a specialized feeder, like the tube feeders designed for goldfinches.

Love bird watching! We have 5 acres that I’m slowly trying to turn into a bird paradise. Lots of feeders up but also lots of trees and native plants. We’ve had goldfinches all year long the last couple of years, which I didn’t know they did. Had an oriole nest in a tree last year and I’ve seen one collecting milkweed strands to build another one this year. Also lots of migrating birds coming through this spring.
The orioles and finches love grape jelly, we put it out in 4" saucers.

Download the Merlin App. It's a bird identifier app from the Cornell Ornithology Dept that will listen to birds and list them as they make noises. I started it out on a whim after reading it was one of the top dl'd apps recently and next thing you know I'm registered with Ebird and at 102 species on my life list in just over a month lol. It's like real life Pokémon go.
Downloaded!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT