ADVERTISEMENT

Any HORT members with elementary school aged kids that have experienced lockdowns?

jasonrann

HR Legend
Apr 11, 2007
There have been two incidents at our daughter's school in the past month, one requiring a lockdown. Cops were called on the first one as a child made some kind of threat to a group of students. Today, it was placed on lockdown as there was a suspicious man on the grounds. Police were called and the person was questioned without further incident. If anyone has experienced this, I'm curious how your child(ren) reacted. Our daughter is in second grade.

Thanks in advance.

• Wow
Reactions: BrianNole777
Couple of times for my kids when they were in HS.
Sadly it doesn't surprise them and they had discussed plans for if/when there is an actual shooter.

Yeah my kids don't even blink over it, of course nothing serious has ever happened. They had a guy drive a stolen vehicle into the parking lot once, and another time an unknown person tried to go in a side door.

Reactions: jasonrann
Yeah my kids don't even blink over it, of course nothing serious has ever happened. They had a guy drive a stolen vehicle into the parking lot once, and another time an unknown person tried to go in a side door.

Yeah, you can get used to just about anything.
It is ironic because my daughter and I were just talking about it last night. I can't even remember how we got on the subject, but it sure didn't seem like a bothersome topic.

There have been two incidents at our daughter's school in the past month, one requiring a lockdown. Cops were called on the first one as a child made some kind of threat to a group of students. Today, it was placed on lockdown as there was a suspicious man on the grounds. Police were called and the person was questioned without further incident. If anyone has experienced this, I'm curious how your child(ren) reacted. Our daughter is in second grade.

Thanks in advance.
Same as fire drills or tornado drills. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Thanks, everyone. I have to admit, I was a bit startled when I first heard about it. Your comments were helpful.

A decade or so back I was flying one of my gliders at a park adjacent to my kids middle school. I see a commotion and notice that the entire swat team is swarming the school. I wander closer to see what's going on and it was a drill. Freaked me out for sure.

Thanks, everyone. I have to admit, I was a bit startled when I first heard about it. Your comments were helpful.
My wife (no pics) is a teacher and was more affected by it than the kids. Kids have no context for it really, they generally don't know about the history of school gun violence at that age. It's another "one of those things they make us do".

I live a block from an elementary school, and 4 blocks from Ames High. I have to admit when I hear a popping sound or sirens, I get on edge.

Reactions: jasonrann
As a teacher, to many times to count (I'm talking about practice situations). For real, police were transporting a convict to a new jail and the cops lost him and we went into a lockdown for a couple of hours. Next day, school went back to normal but we had no recess. About 2 weeks later they found him in the woods about 1 mile from my school.We had no recess for those 2 weeks.

I doubt this made the news in Iowa, but we had a school shooting this week in DFW (Mesquite) where a 16 year old brought a gun to school.

We have. Some kid made a threatening post on tik Tok the other day. A couple years ago when my then kindergartener came home talking about the active shooter drill I just choked up and shook my head. Thanks again boomers for the world you gave us.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Hey Jason, hope you are doing well and keeping on a good path.

That said, you know I'm in Olathe, and have experienced this a couple time with both of my kids. It does happen, and am grateful that the school takes the extra measures to ensure the kids are safe.

Hate to hear that but it’s better to be prepared. The worst we dealt with were fire and tornado drills.

JR, I take it you are back home with the wife and kids, life is back to normal with good health and heart?

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT