ADVERTISEMENT

Any sportswriters or others getting first hand reports from spring practice?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
It would be nice to get some updates/news about what is going on. The hawk women are rightly dominating the UI sports world but it is still good to hear some football news.

Has anyone heard anymore besides they are snapping the ball in shotgun a lot?

Reactions: WestCoastHawkI
Kakert mentioned on the podcast two things of interest. O line is extremely motivated by the whole Proctor debacle. And Lainez hasn’t shown to anyone in practice that he’s better than Hill. I still find that hard to believe. But he would be surprised if the don’t hit the portal for a qb.
Well Marco's throws in the bowl game weren't any better. That's all we have to go by. Obviously his running skills were way way greater than Hill.

Probably not going to hear allot nor should we as the new offense is a work in progress and what you have on the field right now in the spring might not be what you have in the fall personnel wise. What I can say having been down to a couple practices is as far as the offense goes, allot more motion, shifts and trades than I have seen in the past probably to attack certain weaknesses on the defense. It is tough for a new coordinator to come in and your #1 QB is really not at full go until fall and expect big things in the first few weeks. I really think with all the motion and shifts it will help the oline a ton gain leverage to move people as the defense wont be able to just tee off straight ahead.

Last edited:
Kakert mentioned on the podcast two things of interest. O line is extremely motivated by the whole Proctor debacle. And Lainez hasn’t shown to anyone in practice that he’s better than Hill. I still find that hard to believe. But he would be surprised if the don’t hit the portal for a qb.
Anyone is better than Hill, so that's just more KF bullshit, if that's what's coming out of Fort Kinnick. Besides, we know Hill, the turnover machine, can't pass or run, and we saw enough to know Lainez can, at least, run, and it would be all but impossible to be a worse passer, so . . .

And, again, if Lainez is worse than the worst QB in the country, why in the hell did KF give Lainez a scholarship in the first place? This is beyond ridiculous. Beth needs to give KF his gold (and black) watch and show him the door.

Last edited:
If that Lainez bit is true than they need to pull every scholarship offer to every QB we have and let Lester and about $500,000 in NIL do their thing

Practice is great and I understand that's how coaches evaluate but if it doesn't translate to games then it's meaningless.

Anyone is better than Hill, so that's just more KF bullshit, if that's what's coming out of Fort Kinnick. Besides, we know Hill, the turnover machine, can't pass or run, and we saw enough to know Lainez can, at least, run, and it would be all but impossible to be a worse passer, so . . .

And, again, if Lainez is worse than the worst QB in the country, why in the hell did KF give Lainez a scholarship in the first place? This is beyond ridiculous. Beth needs to give KF his gold (and black) watch and show him the door.
You could pretty much say this about every single QB that has arrived at Iowa in the last 7 years. Bad QB recruiting combined with bad QB development yields really bad QB play and really bad offense to go along with it.

Practice is great and I understand that's how coaches evaluate but if it doesn't translate to games then it's meaningless.
Exactly. We're obviously not in practice, but if it's anything like practices that I've experienced, you obviously can't hit the QB and it's likely tougher to analyze dual threat QB impact. I'm sure Hill is better than Lainez at executing the play as called and staying on script. However, when you have as bad of an offensive line as we do, a large chunk of our passing plays are going to be off script. I'm sure Lainez is much better in that regard, but I doubt it shows up in practice as much.

It is really hard to evaluate and judge one person. It takes an entire offense and OC to get last place out of 130 teams. We are just going to have to trust Lester's fresh ideas and set of eyes.

The Proctor debacle is motivating our OL? Please explain. I would think the weakness of our OL would be motivating enough.

And Lainez hasn’t shown to anyone in practice that he’s better than Hill. I still find that hard to believe. But he would be surprised if the don’t hit the portal for a qb.
There are so many directions we can go with this. To say the least, that is very disappointing to read.

So, how do we make sense of this? Is Kirk and staff just this bad at evaluating high school quarterbacks or is there a developmental issue at play? It’s gotta be one or the other, right? Or both?

Spencer Petras was supposedly a 4-star who broke all kinds of passing records at his school that were previously held by Jared Goff. Deuce Hogan was also supposed to be a stud and then Marco Lainez is apparently someday going to remind us Iowa fans of Brad Banks.

And yet, Spencer Petras actually got worse his last two years, Deuce Hogan never came close to cracking the two deep, and Marco Lainez apparently looks worse than an overweight QB with no mobility, no pocket awareness, and very poor accuracy.

I don’t get it.

Either Brian Ferentz’s move to quarterback coach completely ****ed these guys up and/or there has been some absolutely atrocious evaluations of quarterbacks the last five years. Pathetic.

I don’t get it.

There are so many directions we can go with this. To say the least, that is very disappointing to read.

So, how do we make sense of this? Is Kirk and staff just this bad at evaluating high school quarterbacks or is there a developmental issue at play? It’s gotta be one or the other, right? Or both?

Spencer Petras was supposedly a 4-star who broke all kinds of passing records at his school that were previously held by Jared Goff. Deuce Hogan was also supposed to be a stud and then Marco Lainez is apparently someday going to remind us Iowa fans of Brad Banks.

And yet, Spencer Petras actually got worse his last two years, Deuce Hogan never came close to cracking the two deep, and Marco Lainez apparently looks worse than an overweight QB with no mobility, no pocket awareness, and very poor accuracy.

I don’t get it.

Either Brian Ferentz’s move to quarterback coach completely ****ed these guys up and/or there has been some absolutely atrocious evaluations of quarterbacks the last five years. Pathetic.

I don’t get it.
This will all take some time to fix. We have a true QB coach now in Lester who I think can get the most out of what he has to work with. With proper coaching and conditioning Hill might work his way into becoming at least a capable backup which we badly need. Nothing positive comes from just writing the guy off at this point. I wouldn't write the offensive line off either working in a completely new scheme.

If Marco starts every game and never completes a pass, he will be better than Deacon. I am not joking.

You could pretty much say this about every single QB that has arrived at Iowa in the last 7 years. Bad QB recruiting combined with bad QB development yields really bad QB play and really bad offense to go along with it.
Well, then lets be hopeful Lester does a much better job developing then we've been doing for some time. Supposedly he was a pretty good college QB......

I don’t get it.

I don’t get it.
Some guys are over rated, (by everybody). Hogans been dog dodo at Kentucky as well, and they've had some pretty good QB's....

Well, then lets be hopeful Lester does a much better job developing then we've been doing for some time. Supposedly he was a pretty good college QB......
I'm under no delusion that there is a quick fix here. Brian and Kirk ran the offense completely into the ground and if Lester can turn it around, it's going to be a grind, especially given the current challenges at QB, wide receiver, and offensive line. The portal can help speed things along, but there were big holes all over the place and, unless I'm missing something, none of them have been addressed to my knowledge.

Lainez hasn't shown anything he's better than hill. Meaning: Lainez has yet to complete a pass.

lainez has not completed one single pass.
Tough to comprehend what you're saying here, are you saying Lainez has never completed a pass? He only had two in the bowl game but I'd say those count. He also had about 20 more total yards than Hill who played all game, while Lainez only played the last two drives.

The Proctor debacle is motivating our OL? Please explain. I would think the weakness of our OL would be motivating enough.
Thats what Kakert said. I presume he means all the pomp and circumstance around having a “five star “savior coming to the table and then everyone being upset that they no longer have him. They are set to prove they don’t need him.

• Haha
Reactions: herkyhawk00
Not surprised, he showed he could run but didn't show he coukd throw the ball.

Hill can probably look half way decent in a structured practice when the qb can't be hit by the defense. We've seen it's a whole different ballgame when he's under attack by the defense. He has no escape ability and he's a turnover machine.
For me, I would go with two qb’s, something KF would absolutely hate. Lainez can be a guy who runs read option with the chance of passing whereas McNamara is your primary qb. I don’t need Lainez to thread needles. I need him to be a change of pace qb who can help move the chains with his feet. He has a different set of skills that help the offense. I would utilize his strengths and allow them to play a role in our offense. Hill offers very little upside, IMO.

Well, I’m pretty motivated to win the lottery, but that doesn’t mean anything will change. I have a hard time believing we will see significant improvement from the oline.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT