ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ever gotten an out of State traffic citation?

MitchLL

HR Legend
Dec 26, 2018
Received a traffic citation over the weekend from the State of Illinois in the mail. Only problem is we weren't anywhere near the area listed.

Had a photo of a vehicle and license plate. We have personalized Iowa plates and the lettering was the same as our plate. But the photo showed a Black SUV with black lettering on a white plate. Our vehicle is a White SUV with white lettering on a black plate.

Not sure how they tracked us down, but just got off the phone with someone and we have to go thru some appeal process to get it taken care of. We'll see how that goes?

Anyone ever had something similar happen?

About 30 years ago I got a parking ticket from the city of Chicago by mail. I lived in the Chicago suburbs at the time and had Illinois plates but I knew my car was nowhere near Chicago that day because the date of the ticket was Thanksgiving and my car was with me in Iowa the entire day where I was visiting family for the holiday.

I called to say there must be a mistake but they insisted it was valid and the fine would stand. I got progressively frustrated during the call and at one point I told the lady this is bullshit. She scolded me for using foul language and hung up on me.

After I cooled down a bit I examined the copy of the handwritten ticket more closely and realized it said the vehicle make was a Subaru. My car was a Toyota. The first three letters of the license plate appeared to be XYH, but the handwriting was a little sloppy and the Y looked almost like another X. The first three letters of my license plate were XXH. At that point I realized the person who processed the ticket probably misread the license plate number that had been written down. The car that was illegally parked was a Subaru with an identical license plate to mine except one letter.

I called back and, without using profanity, politely asked them to check to see if that license plate belonged to a Subaru. It did and they finally realized their mistake and voided the ticket.

That was one of my lessons in life about using honey instead of vinegar.

/csb

Last edited:
Received a traffic citation over the weekend from the State of Illinois in the mail. Only problem is we weren't anywhere near the area listed.

Had a photo of a vehicle and license plate. We have personalized Iowa plates and the lettering was the same as our plate. But the photo showed a Black SUV with black lettering on a white plate. Our vehicle is a White SUV with white lettering on a black plate.

Not sure how they tracked us down, but just got off the phone with someone and we have to go thru some appeal process to get it taken care of. We'll see how that goes?

I would send them a picture of your car and license plate. Might be worth a shot.

Reactions: MitchLL
I should have added... my citation was for using a toll road... 5X. $10 for tolls and a $15 penalty.

The state of NY can kiss my ass. $9 toll fee by mail and $100 fine for being one month late. They'll never see a dime of it from me.

In the past year I have gotten 2 from CR, 1 from Des Moines and 1 from Sioux City. All by mail. Unfortunately, they were all me. I have to slow down going through those areas.

I would send them a picture of your car and license plate. Might be worth a shot.
My wife, who's more tactful than I am, offered to send credit card receipts used those days while we attended State track in DM.

Lady said it wasn't necessary and just to wait for the appeal process.

I think we'll be alright as the lady was very reasonable.

Had that exact thing happen to me. The appeal process was pretty painless, filled out a form, included picture of my license plate and vehicle and that was that. Got a notice a couple of weeks later that the appeal was approved.

Reactions: MitchLL
Unenforceable,.. Unless you've got some anal need to clear the books don't worry about it..

This, and if you can show when you purchased your plate, or at a minimum when you renewed your registration, it might help confirm that you hadn't since replaced the car/plate.

Bump, traveled through much of the northeast these last three weeks. For a suv and a 3,000 pound camper we had to pay $50 in Indiana and $40 in Ohio. No choice but to pay as you leave the state but Indiana was a joke. I think Australian owns the lease to that turnpike and spent “millions” on travel plazas and toll plaza technology. The plaza we stopped at had vending machines. The toll plaza looked like it belonged in a 3rd world country and it couldn’t read the very ticket that it produced just hours earlier. I tried to look at why these stretches if I-80 can get away with charging stiff tolls and has to do with timing or prior agreements? At least in New York their travel plazas has much cheaper gas. The plazas in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois were all normal prices.

Gas in Illinois was far more expensive then any other state on our trip expensive. I don’t have anything nice to say about Illinois roads.

csb, just interesting experiencing all the different states roadways.

ps, Iowa has the best gas stations and it’s not an argument.

I got a ticket for a toll violation from MA. The thing is, that vehicle has never been within 500 miles of MA. The picture of the vehicle the same make as mine. On closer inspection, the tag number wasn't even mine. It was off by one character. I fought it just on principle. The MA DOT threatened to turn it over for collection, and started adding non-payment penalties. It eventually got dropped.

I also got jacked up by NC because they said I didn't renew my car insurance. Sent me a bill for the state insuring me. They were technically correct, because I moved to FL and dropped my insurance in NC. I sent in my NC plates as required. They require insurance companies to notify them is someone drops coverage, but the form doesn't include any information about moving, selling a vehicle, or even replacement coverage. that was also a major hassle which took months to resolve.

show your boobs

33240-64-12652-10_8440-1432321605.jpg

If you want to see the rest it's gonna cost some money.

• Sad
Reactions: QChawks
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT