ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone read any good books lately?

BrianNole777

HR All-American
Jan 27, 2023
I'm an amateur Vietnam War historian.

I just finished the classic book: "The Best and the Brightest" about how the geniuses in the Kennedy administration got America involved in the quagmire of Vietnam.

Many of them were Harvard professors or Ivy league scholars (Robert McNamara, McGeorge Bundy, Walt Rostow, Dean Rusk, Avril Harriman) who totally screwed up Vietnam.

The book was 670 pages and felt wayyyy too long. It was a real slog. I barely finished it. The author (also a Harvard alum) seemed like he wanted to put every detail in it. After the first half of the book, I would put my cell phone timer on for 40 minutes at a time while reading for 14 days in a row to force myself to complete it.

I was relieved to be finished.

I just started reading "Confessions" which is another classic by Saint Augustine.

How about you?

Last edited:
Reactions: h-hawk
I read VN books from time to time. You probably have read The Last Medal Of Honor by Pete Billac. There are a couple of books regarding sniper Carlos Hathcock that you also may have read . Those have been out for quite a few years.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Im reading The Pacific now. About the WWII battles in the Pacific w Japan. A good read. I also finished reading A Stranger in the Woods. About a guy who went into the woods in Maine and didn't come out for 27 years. Kind of an unbelievable story. Also a wonderful survival tale is the book 438 Days. About a Central American fisherman who was stranded in his little fishing boat in the Pacific for 438 days. And survived.

51Q5jBrtvAL.jpg

I just finished the classic book: "The Best and the Brightest" about how the geniuses in the Kennedy administration got America involved in the quagmire of Vietnam.

Many of them were Harvard professors or Ivy league scholars (Robert McNamara, McGeorge Bundy, Walt Rostow, Dean Rusk, Avril Harriman) who totally screwed up Vietnam.

The book was 670 pages and felt wayyyy too long. It was a real slog. I barely finished it. The author (also a Harvard alum) seemed like he wanted to put every detail in it. After the first half of the book, I would put my cell phone timer on for 30 minutes at a time while reading for 14 days in a row to force myself to complete it.

I just started reading "Confessions" which is another classic by Saint Augustine.

How about you?

81ivVj6y6eL._SL1500_.jpg

I just finished this. A really good read about a really interesting city. The last half of the book was hard to put down. The 1956 Revolution was a pretty dark time. Everything tracks to modern day Orban leadership. There is still bitterness about the Treaty of Trianon just like Putin is mad about the breakup of the USSR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Trianon

I read VN books from time to time. You probably have read The Last Medal Of Honor by Pete Billac. There are a couple of books regarding sniper Carlos Hathcock that you also may have read . Those have been out for quite a few years.

I've seen a couple documentaries on Hathcock.

Wild stuff...he crawled miles to snipe NVA and VC leaders.

Im reading The Pacific now. About the WWII battles in the Pacific w Japan. A good read. I also finished reading A Stranger in the Woods. About a guy who went into the woods in Maine and didn't come out for 27 years. Kind of an unbelievable story. Also a wonderful survival tale is the book 438 Days. About a Central American fisherman who was stranded in his little fishing boat in the Pacific for 438 days. And survived.

Sounds good, I will try to find it. Found it. Thanks!

Last edited:
1. Mary Through the Centuries - J. Pelikan (Religion)
2. Moscow 2023 - V. Voinovich [who i played beer pong with in college] (Eerily fiction becomes reality Russian political satire)
3. Treason by the Book - J. Spence (Chinese history)
4. Born Standing Up - S. Martin (memoir)
5. The Good War - S. Terkel (WWII oral history, from the perspective of...everyone)
6. The Billion Dollar Molecule AND The Antidote - B. Werth (business history of Vertex Pharma at its development and commercialization stages, highlighting the really hard things involved in drug development)

Last edited:
Non fiction
Say Nothing (The Troubles in N Ireland)
Empire of Pain (Purdue Pharma & oxycontin)
Emperor of All Maladies (cancer)

Fiction
North Woods
Lonesome Dove
Beartown
Night of the Living Rez (Native American short stories)

Last edited:
Self-admittedly at the wife's suggestion because she liked it:

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. Fiction, mix of family dynamic drama, Vietnam Vet PTSD, the Alaskan Wilderness and not gonna lie, some pretty damn sad parts....BUT I thought it was pretty good.

Currently reading "No One Goes Alone" by Erik Larson. About half way through but really like it, its his first dive into straight up fiction (but still written in a "real" sense I guess you could say) and so far really like it.

Currently working on “Golden Harvest” a book about golf in Iowa and the (legit) Iowans who have played and are playing the game today. Written by Rick Brown, who was The Register's longtime golf (sports) writer.
Lots of good stuff in it.

Add A Bright Shining Lie to your list if you have any interest in the Vietnam War.

As for my own reading, I've recently switched to using the public library so my reading patterns are sort of based on what becomes available on my hold list/

- Sailing Alone Around the World - about the first ever solo sailing voyage around the world, authored by the captain. Short book, good read.

- In The Garden of Beasts - Follows our ambassador and his family to Germany in the 1930's and Hitler's raise to power. Same author as Devil in the White City, reads more like a novel than your typical non-fiction.

- Sphere - a psych thriller, same author as Jurassic Park, turned into a movie. Not my usual genre, but really quick read and enjoyable.

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. Fiction, mix of family dynamic drama, Vietnam Vet PTSD, the Alaskan Wilderness and not gonna lie, some pretty damn sad parts....BUT I thought it was pretty good.

Currently reading "No One Goes Alone" by Erik Larson. About half way through but really like it, its his first dive into straight up fiction (but still written in a "real" sense I guess you could say) and so far really like it.

The Great Alone now on my list. Thanks.

Reactions: JustSayOV
Non fiction
Say Nothing (The Troubles in N Ireland)
Empire of Pain (Purdue Pharma & oxycontin)
Emperor of All Maladies (cancer)

Fiction
North Woods
Lonesome Dove
Beartown
Night of the Living Rez (Native American short stories)
Great read I had no idea happened.

The Great Alone is a good book. I've read several books by Kristin Hannah. She writes great historical fiction usually with a strong female character at the center of the story, but since I'm a woman I enjoy that. Another one I enjoyed by her is The Four Winds (Dust Bowl Period). Her books are pretty dark at times.

The book was 670 pages and felt wayyyy too long. It was a real slog. I barely finished it. The author (also a Harvard alum) seemed like he wanted to put every detail in it. After the first half of the book, I would put my cell phone timer on for 40 minutes at a time while reading for 14 days in a row to force myself to complete it.

How about you?

river-god-9781499860832_hr.jpg

The Great Alone is a good book. I've read several books by Kristin Hannah. She writes great historical fiction usually with a strong female character at the center of the story, but since I'm a woman I enjoy that. Another one I enjoyed by her is The Four Winds (Dust Bowl Period). Her books are pretty dark at times.

Agreed....like I say this was my wife's recommendation, but I really enjoyed it. My wife also has read The Four Winds and really liked it as well.

I'll probably read The Nightingale by her next as I think I will enjoy the WWII backdrop of that one.

I also in the past year have listened to all of Peter Heller's books and really enjoyed them. Started with The Dog Stars, which was one of my favorites. Also enjoyed The Painter quite a bit.

***Actually I think someone mentioned Heller's books on here in a similar book thread one time which got me started so thank you GIAOT.

I bought about 30 on audible a couple years ago.

Just seems like to much effort to actually read them.

Agreed....like I say this was my wife's recommendation, but I really enjoyed it. My wife also has read The Four Winds and really liked it as well.

I'll probably read The Nightingale by her next as I think I will enjoy the WWII backdrop of that one.
It's a good one and I liked Winter Garden as well. It's set in Leningrad in 1941.

The Nightingale comes up every time when I tell some book AI what I like. Then I read and reread the premise and I'm just not sure I'm going to enjoy it.

How about you?

Kitap_202301032218203290603.jpg

I read this a couple times many years ago. It was excellent.

On the Nam theme…The Greatest Beer Run Ever. Details a beer run to a guys Nam buddies: author throws in some lefty union stuff also
Also just finished Tunnel 29. Details a true escape under the Berlin Wall in early 60’s

On the Nam theme…The Greatest Beer Run Ever. Details a beer run to a guys Nam buddies: author throws in some lefty union stuff also
Also just finished Tunnel 29. Details a true escape under the Berlin Wall in early 60’s

I just finished it a couple of days ago, enjoyed it.

Cool. Beer run is next up on my reading list.

I've decided to make a point to read more novels, and in the past few weeks I've read The Great Gatsby, Huckleberry Finn, and The Grapes of Wrath.
Not sure what's next, maybe Catcher in the Rye or something by Hemingway.

Those are all classics. I've read them all except "The Grapes of Wrath."

For Hemingway, I read "The Sun Also Rises" in high school and remember it was good. "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is also supposed to be good, although I have not read it myself.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
I've decided to make a point to read more novels, and in the past few weeks I've read The Great Gatsby, Huckleberry Finn, and The Grapes of Wrath.
Not sure what's next, maybe Catcher in the Rye or something by Hemingway.
Try “The Master and the Margarita” if you want your mind blown.

Kookaburra sits on the old gum tree,
Merry merry king of the bush is he.
Laugh, Kookaburra, laugh, Kookaburra,
Gay your life must be!

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Eating all the gumdrops he can see
Stop, Kookaburra, Stop, Kookaburra
Leave some there for me.

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
Counting all the monkeys he can see
Stop, Kookaburra, Stop, Kookaburra,
That's no monkey, that's me.

How about you?

Your into kukuberra to I see

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT