ADVERTISEMENT

AOC TIME! Says Millennials are “most informed” and first to protest.

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Lol...wut? Forget that 2/3 of them have never heard of Auscwitz and 22% never heard of the Holocaust. But yeah...most informed.

—————-

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez made some bold claims in her latest Instagram Live video, suggesting millennials and Generation Z are better "informed" and more well-versed in history than past generations — and, apparently forgetting about the turbulent '60s, are the first "willing to go to the streets" and challenge their government.

The New York Democratic congresswoman, who at 29 is a millennial herself, in a video that streamed live Tuesday night described how she thinks today’s young people are surpassing past generations.

“I think young people are more informed and dynamic than their predecessors,” she said.

The freshman congresswoman then patted young Americans on the back for their activism, implying this is a new development for American political engagement.

“I think this new generation is very profound, and very strong, and very brave, because they’re actually willing to go to the streets,” she said. “Previous generations have just assumed that government’s got it.”

Of course, this overlooks perhaps the most turbulent period in modern American history, the 1960s, which was marked by political protests over the Vietnam War, civil rights and more.

Months after the decade began, protesters in San Francisco demonstrated against the House Un-American Activities Committee for their investigations of suspected Communists. Protesters were arrested as police turned firehoses on them on what became known as “Black Friday.”

The civil rights movement featured protests from black Americans and their allies, which helped lead to passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

The Vietnam War inspired massive demonstrations, including at the 1968 Democratic Convention. Tens of thousands of protesters took to the streets of Chicago that summer, and hundreds were injured in violent clashes with police and the National Guard.

Of course, political protest existed before the 1960s, with notable examples including the women’s suffrage movement and the Boston Tea Party.

Prior to making her statement about previous generations’ complacency, Ocasio-Cortez lauded her own generation by saying, “They actually take time to read and understand our history, the history of the labor movement, history of civil rights, history of economics, history of the United States, history of colonialism, and they’re not afraid to have those conversations.”

Baby Boomers may take exception to Ocasio-Cortez's slight, especially given studies that indicate a lack of knowledge millennials have when it comes to history. An April 2019 studyby the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany revealed that two-thirds of millennials polled were not familiar with Auschwitz, and 22 percent said they either had not heard of or were not sure if they had heard of the Holocaust.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...s-first-generation-to-protest-forgets-60s.amp

Lol...wut? Forget that 2/3 of them have never heard of Auscwitz and 22% never heard of the Holocaust. But yeah...most informed.

—————-

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez made some bold claims in her latest Instagram Live video, suggesting millennials and Generation Z are better "informed" and more well-versed in history than past generations — and, apparently forgetting about the turbulent '60s, are the first "willing to go to the streets" and challenge their government.

The New York Democratic congresswoman, who at 29 is a millennial herself, in a video that streamed live Tuesday night described how she thinks today’s young people are surpassing past generations.

“I think young people are more informed and dynamic than their predecessors,” she said.

The freshman congresswoman then patted young Americans on the back for their activism, implying this is a new development for American political engagement.

“I think this new generation is very profound, and very strong, and very brave, because they’re actually willing to go to the streets,” she said. “Previous generations have just assumed that government’s got it.”

Of course, this overlooks perhaps the most turbulent period in modern American history, the 1960s, which was marked by political protests over the Vietnam War, civil rights and more.

Months after the decade began, protesters in San Francisco demonstrated against the House Un-American Activities Committee for their investigations of suspected Communists. Protesters were arrested as police turned firehoses on them on what became known as “Black Friday.”

The civil rights movement featured protests from black Americans and their allies, which helped lead to passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

The Vietnam War inspired massive demonstrations, including at the 1968 Democratic Convention. Tens of thousands of protesters took to the streets of Chicago that summer, and hundreds were injured in violent clashes with police and the National Guard.

Of course, political protest existed before the 1960s, with notable examples including the women’s suffrage movement and the Boston Tea Party.

Prior to making her statement about previous generations’ complacency, Ocasio-Cortez lauded her own generation by saying, “They actually take time to read and understand our history, the history of the labor movement, history of civil rights, history of economics, history of the United States, history of colonialism, and they’re not afraid to have those conversations.”

Baby Boomers may take exception to Ocasio-Cortez's slight, especially given studies that indicate a lack of knowledge millennials have when it comes to history. An April 2019 studyby the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany revealed that two-thirds of millennials polled were not familiar with Auschwitz, and 22 percent said they either had not heard of or were not sure if they had heard of the Holocaust.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...s-first-generation-to-protest-forgets-60s.amp

I'm not sure that survey proves much even if you assume it's accurate unless you can show that boomers are more familiar with something from history that happened about 50 years before their births.

Are most boomers familiar with the battle of the Somme for example? Do they know who Archduke Franz Ferdinand was?

Honestly I think our poor history educations is probably cross generational.

—————-

Young Americans are always the first to protest. They know things, but their sources of information (college profs, social media, etc.) are dubious to laughable.

Reactions: coloradonoles
On a board with OiT, IMCC, and Pryme/Milton, you're going after Carolina?!?!?

Ever took time to read all of THE EXACT SAME POSTS every time?

Start with: “Trumpbaggers” then goes to what subject is then finishes with “that’s rich”. Just about all of them. Did it in Warren thread. It’s a bot. But a bot that was created to imitate a dumb parrot.

Substitute "college profs" with "debunked chain e-mails" and you perfectly describe the American right wing.
Bullshit, it's always been the younger generation that pouts the loudest. They haven't invested enough time in the real product of their own investment so they have have less to lose and more time to observe and get pissed about things that don't actually impact their lives.

If I asked my wife about sjw issues she wouldn't know wtf I was talking about because she's a professional that doesn't spend all of her time looking for isht to be outraged about. She has a real job.

I've done counseling for the younger generations. To say they are more well informed is a joke.

With that said, the brain trust that put Donald in the White House isn't much better. And that's the problem. You expect stupid and naive from young people. Boomers? Lol, yeah, y'all suck.

I've done counseling for the younger generations. To say they are more well informed is a joke.

With that said, the brain trust that put Donald in the White House isn't much better. And that's the problem. You expect stupid and naive from young people. Boomers? Lol, yeah, y'all suck.
Yeah, but they voted.

Young Americans are always the first to protest. They know things, but their sources of information (college profs, social media, etc.) are dubious to laughable.
Here's the thing, though, millennials aren't even that young anymore. Some of them are pushing 40.

Reactions: goldmom

IDK, I would wager that a generation of college educated 30 somethings are better informed than a group of 70s who have spent they're entire lives in a bubble.

Bullshit, it's always been the younger generation that pouts the loudest. They haven't invested enough time in the real product of their own investment so they have have less to lose and more time to observe and get pissed about things that don't actually impact their lives.

If I asked my wife about sjw issues she wouldn't know wtf I was talking about because she's a professional that doesn't spend all of her time looking for isht to be outraged about. She has a real job.

The younger generation is matched by old cranks whining about the younger generation.

And good for your wife. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but good for her.

AOC is a bought and paid for actress.
hqdefault.jpg

"TRUMP!!!!"

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Says the dumbest person in HROT history. Serious question: who opens your ketchup bottles?
LOL. That is something coming from the biggest clown to ever blow his nose on the toilet paper that he just used to wipe his ass. So, when is your appearance on the "biggest loser"? I would have asked about the "biggest loser ever", but that belongs to your fuhrer, herr trump. So get back on your couch and continue to binge watch television. Leave the adult discussions to we people with a clue.

At least OiT and IMCC have their own thoughts.

It's his shtick. He's the LuteHawk of the left. But the guy actually knows understands things like The Constitution and historical context, which is well beyond the people I mentioned and the other Trump nutjobs.

Says the dumbest person in HROT history. Serious question: who opens your ketchup bottles?

That wasn't nice. Here I'm trying to get CarolinaHawkeye to stop resorting to name calling, and here you come insulting him like you did. Not cool.

they are "woke". know one can possible be as smart as they are. I'm a democrat and at times they make me think that republicans aren't so bad and maybe I should give them another look.
That is why AOC rubs me the wrong way.

I'm not sure that survey proves much even if you assume it's accurate unless you can show that boomers are more familiar with something from history that happened about 50 years before their births.

Are most boomers familiar with the battle of the Somme for example? Do they know who Archduke Franz Ferdinand was?

Honestly I think our poor history educations is probably cross generational.
1. I would bet that most Americans of my age know who the archduke was, and why he was important.
2. Knowing the name of the guy is not in the same universe as knowing that young people were protesting in the streets before Millennials.

\

Sounds like you're in agreement. Your wife isn't as well informed as the younger generation, because she's a professional.

And no offense, but that sounds like she's a prostitute.

Pic???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT