ADVERTISEMENT

AOC with a shot across the bow early today

Student loan "cancellation"?

Like all the companies who've loaned out billions of dollars will just cancel them? That would be... unusual.

As someone who took out, and has been paying back, student loans - I think everyone ought to be responsible for paying back the money they borrowed. I certainly don't want to become responsible for paying everyone's loans back through my taxes.

Now, if they want to work to figure out a way to make college affordable (or at least less unaffordable), then I'd be on board with that.

I can’t understand why my largest financial portfolio is up over $4000 so far today. I was assured it would be a bloodbath today.
I don’t understand either. I am not going to complain, but I don’t foresee corporations liking a 28-30% tax rate or more. I am curious how these increases taxes are going to impact the middle class as Biden continuously said it would only impact people making over $400 K.

Like all the companies who've loaned out billions of dollars will just cancel them? That would be... unusual.

As someone who took out, and has been paying back, student loans - I think everyone ought to be responsible for paying back the money they borrowed. I certainly don't want to become responsible for paying everyone's loans back through my taxes.

Now, if they want to work to figure out a way to make college affordable (or at least less unaffordable), then I'd be on board with that.

You're reported to the Truth Commission.

I don’t understand either. I am not going to complain, but I don’t foresee corporations liking a 28-30% tax rate or more. I am curious how these increases taxes are going to impact the middle class as Biden continuously said it would only impact people making over $400 K.
There is no such thing as a tax on corporations. Any tax increase will be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices on goods and services.

Reactions: Finance85

Mostly agree here, the main problem is the cost of college, fix that and the student loan issue works itself out in 15 to 20 years.

I have always been against increasing the debt......no matter which party does it. I believe n a balanced budget.
Then why haven't you been voicing that the past 4 years? I don't recall you saying much then but I could be wrong.

Also, this is exactly the time when you do spend more ... we should be reducing debt when times are good to "save" for a rainy day like this.

I'm sorry AOC, but if you chose to go to Boston University and racked up a bunch of student loans you need to handle that yourself.

Student loan cancellation is the dumbest “issue” out there. What is depressing is the number of people that fall for it.

Never.Going.To.Happen.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
There is no such thing as a tax on corporations. Any tax increase will be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices on goods and services.

That is not entirely accurate the elasticity of demand holds that increase in tax would be split between higher prices and lower profits--unless, of course, you have a monopoly over necessities.

I think he just said taxes wouldn't go up on those making under $400K. Why in the world would he acknowledge that everyone would be paying for corporations to recover their increased taxes? No one is that dumb.

Student loan cancellation is the dumbest “issue” out there. What is depressing is the number of people that fall for it.

Never.Going.To.Happen.

Yes, likely not going to occur, however, it starts a policy conversation regarding lowering costs for higher education which has spiraled out of control - at some places 300% greater than inflation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT