ADVERTISEMENT

AR-15's and other semi automatic rifles will be allowed for deer hunting in Iowa.

It’s taking something that is already legal in Iowa, and just expanding the counties this antlerless season to 15 counties.

The use of AR15 in this reporting is used to get an emotional reaction out of people.

Hunting with an AR15 is already legal in Iowa and 37 other states.
This.

It’s taking something that is already legal in Iowa, and just expanding the counties this anterless season to 15 counties.

The use of AR15 in this reporting is used to get an emotional reaction out of people.

Correct, I know guys who have been using an AR platform in 450 Bushmaster or 350 Legend for a couple years now. Personally I'll stick with my trusty old Remington shotgun.

When did they start allowing any rifles? It's been over 30 years since my last Iowa deer hunting, but we were limited to black powder, bows, or shotguns

What caliber(s) would be allowed? And an AR is just a rifle, not much difference between any semi auto rifles really.
This includes, but is not limited to, the following common calibers: .35 Whelen, .350 Legend, .358 Winchester, .375 Winchester, .40 S&W, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 Long Colt, .45 Raptor, .450 Bushmaster, .450 Marlin, .45-70 Govt, .460 S&W and .500 S&W.

The standard "AR" caliber is .223 (aka 5.56 nato) and would not meet the requirements the DNR has specifically said the bullet must be larger than .24 caliber. Most guys that use the AR platform are going to have it chambered in 350 legend or 450 bushmaster.

It’s taking something that is already legal in Iowa, and just expanding the counties this anterless season to 15 counties.

Sure, but reading is hard, especially for Dbag Liberals.

And it's hard to get your daily snowflake on if you actually read entire sentences, let alone those pesky paragraphs! LOL!

So, we're going to allow people to use weapons that aren't very good for that purpose purely to give them a reason for owning them?

Nice. 30 years ago hunters would have laughed at someone using an AR for deer hunting.
ARs are fantastic deer hunting rifles - much better than any slug guns or muzzleloader for Iowa hunting.

Does Iowa currently have a rifle season for deer? I thought you could only hunt deer in Iowa with a shotgun or bow?
Youve been able to hunt with an AR in Iowa for many years already (or any rifle for that matter as long as it meets cartridges requirements/restrictions)

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Youve been able to hunt with an AR in Iowa for many years already (or any rifle for that matter as long as it meets cartridges requirements/restrictions)
A couple years ago when the change happened my dad bought a Henry repeating rifle to use. He absolutely loves it. Most of the shotguns arent used any more.

Using an AR for deer hunting is completely unnecessary, and increases the chance for accidents.
I deer hunt every year and I can agree with you that this is NOT a good idea. There are a large percentage of hunters (like my group) that "party hunt". Group pushes deer and the other group posts and shoots the deer as they flee for their lives. When the two parties get closer and closer together is where it can get dangerous especially if everyone doesn't know the rules to hunt that way. It's not a good idea to add high power ammunition to that scenario.

The deer population could be trimmed greatly if they would just make out of state hunting licenses cheaper and limit it to shooting does. I think there would be a lot of hunters who would come across the border if they lived close to bag a doe if the price was less. Currently the Doe license for out of state hunters is somewhere around $300 which is ridiculous. Make it $40 and it would create some more demand for those licenses. Bad policy in my opinion.

Sure, but reading is hard, especially for Dbag Liberals.

And it's hard to get your daily snowflake on if you actually read entire sentences, let alone those pesky paragraphs! LOL!
^^^^And...the village idiot has weighed in.

A couple years ago when the change happened my dad bought a Henry repeating rifle to use. He absolutely loves it. Most of the shotguns arent used any more.
I use a Henry in 45-70, my buddy uses a lever gun in 44 mag, my step dad uses one in 45 LC. We prefer them much more over slugs. Even though "AR"s have a scary name there is nothing as scary as hearing a bouncing slug ricochette by you.

So, we're going to allow people to use weapons that aren't very good for that purpose purely to give them a reason for owning them?

Nice. 30 years ago hunters would have laughed at someone using an AR for deer hunting.
I know, right!? I grew up hunting with a 30-30 Winchester. Hell, my dad's best friend hog hunted with a buck knife and his bulldog mix--no gun. He really enjoyed wrestling a hog to the ground and gutting it. He looked like Hacksaw Jim Dugan.

Dude made the best damn pork sausage I can remember growing up.

I deer hunt every year and I can agree with you that this is NOT a good idea. There are a large percentage of hunters (like my group) that "party hunt". Group pushes deer and the other group posts and shoots the deer as they flee for their lives. When the two parties get closer and closer together is where it can get dangerous especially if everyone doesn't know the rules to hunt that way. It's not a good idea to add high power ammunition to that scenario.

The deer population could be trimmed greatly if they would just make out of state hunting licenses cheaper and limit it to shooting does. I think there would be a lot of hunters who would come across the border if they lived close to bag a doe if the price was less. Currently the Doe license for out of state hunters is somewhere around $300 which is ridiculous. Make it $40 and it would create some more demand for those licenses. Bad policy in my opinion.
Walking and blocking is incredibly dangerous in and of itself, the tactic you chose to use is far more dangerous than and caliber or capacity firearm.

If a 350 legend (example) hits a 1 inch tree sapling that blet is going to lose all of its energy and be non lethal in a matter of feet. If a 1.5 ounce slug hits that sapling it breaks the tree in half and keeps tumbling. THATS dangerous.

E=MC²

A slower moving, heavier object, holds its energy in a much more stable manner (read keeps ****ing going) much more than a high energy less mass object.

In the hands of a knowledgeable hunter any rifle of reasonable caliber will typically be safer than a smooth bore shotgun throwing slugs,... The problem with the rifle, in a populated rural area, arises with it's increased trajectory and the fact that not all hunters are knowledgeable...

Reactions: KFSuperStar

You can’t “party hunt” the late doe season. I highly doubt out of staters are going to come to Iowa and hunt does when they have their own states to do so.

When did they start allowing any rifles? It's been over 30 years since my last Iowa deer hunting, but we were limited to black powder, bows, or shotguns
It's fairly recent. Apparently a wealthy Republican donor wanted to hunt deer with a rifle so Kimi and the lads made it happen.

"So let it be written, so let it be done."

It's fairly recent. Apparently a wealthy Republican donor wanted to hunt deer with a rifle so Kimi and the lads made it happen.

"So let it be written, so let it be done."

I would imagine Kim Reynolds didn't have much to do with it as Lieutenant Gov in 2017

Do you uderstand these rifles have been legal and used in iowa for many years? Do you also understand the how very similar the ballistics are between a 20Ga slug and a 450 Bushmaster?

Reactions: Hammer93
Why do threads like these always start off with a bunch of reactionary responses with little or no factual information? Then about half way through or so the people who know what they are talking about start to weigh in, start to overwhelm them with real information, then towards the end of the thread they are the majority, and all the initial posters with their agendas have disappeared to other threads/topics they know nothing about and for the most part spew the same BS.

Walking and blocking is incredibly dangerous in and of itself, the tactic you chose to use is far more dangerous than and caliber or capacity firearm.

If a 350 legend (example) hits a 1 inch tree sapling that blet is going to lose all of its energy and be non lethal in a matter of feet. If a 1.5 ounce slug hits that sapling it breaks the tree in half and keeps tumbling. THATS dangerous.

E=MC²

A slower moving, heavier object, holds its energy in a much more stable manner (read keeps ****ing going) much more than a high energy less mass object.
Party hunting can be safe, I've been doing it for 40 years. It does however require communication and discipline. Our group is very stable and consistent, and anyone new who joins gets everything laid out for them both on general rules (such as absolutely no shooting even in the general direction of any structures) and for each individual property we hunt (where the pushers are coming from, where all of the posters will be, etc.). We've kicked guys out of the group, some immediately on the spot, for something as simple as wandering off from where they are supposed to be posted even if it didn't create an issue in that specific instance. You're supposed to be in a very specific place, and changing any of that greatly increases the risk of an incident. It's not tolerated, and they're told that stuff up front.

Do you uderstand these rifles have been legal and used in iowa for many years? Do you also understand the how very similar the ballistics are between a 20Ga slug and a 450 Bushmaster?
I do understand that the rifles are being used currently. We have guys that use them. I guess I would more concerned with caliber of weapon and distance the shell can travel. Not here to make any huge statement. Just pointing out some potential concerns. Also, in response to one of the posters regarding out of state hunters... I do know of some guys who do not come back to Iowa to hunt with their buddies because of the price to get a license for out of state hunters.

Party hunting can be safe, I've been doing it for 40 years. It does however require communication and discipline. Our group is very stable and consistent, and anyone new who joins gets everything laid out for them both on general rules (such as absolutely no shooting even in the general direction of any structures) and for each individual property we hunt (where the pushers are coming from, where all of the posters will be, etc.). We've kicked guys out of the group, some immediately on the spot, for something as simple as wandering off from where they are supposed to be posted even if it didn't create an issue in that specific instance. You're supposed to be in a very specific place, and changing any of that greatly increases the risk of an incident. It's not tolerated, and they're told that stuff up front.
Exactly my point from above. It requires discipline to hunt that way and takes most of the risk out it. For instance, when my nephew started hunting with us he was 16 years old. He shot and hit a deer. He left his post spot to look for the deer. That is a non-negotiable No-No and he was pretty threatened to never hunt with us again if it should ever happen again. 20 years later, he stands and stays. CSB.

Because there is seldom the need for the range provided by an AR in Iowa. Most shots to take deer can easily be 100 yards or less.
And with the generally flat terrain/rolling hills, firing a round with a range of over a mile is dangerous and completely unnecessary for hunting deer.

You can’t “party hunt” the late doe season. I highly doubt out of staters are going to come to Iowa and hunt does when they have their own states to do so.
I understand that. I am just talking about first or second season shotgun. Also, I am not anti-AK guy. I happen to enjoy shooting them along with other guns. I am just opposed to adding more distance to shells when hunting in fairly popular hunting areas. Either way, it's alright.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I do understand that the rifles are being used currently. We have guys that use them. I guess I would more concerned with caliber of weapon and distance the shell can travel. Not here to make any huge statement. Just pointing out some potential concerns. Also, in response to one of the posters regarding out of state hunters... I do know of some guys who do not come back to Iowa to hunt with their buddies because of the price to get a license for out of state hunters.
But ballistically a 20ga sabot slug (which by your ommission, im guessing you dont have an issue with?) is very similar to a 450 bushmaster (the most popular AR deer cartridge). Energy, lethal range, trajectory, etc. all are within the variance of barrel length w/ each other, so why would you have concern on one but not the other?

Because there is seldom the need for the range provided by an AR in Iowa. Most shots to take deer can easily be 100 yards or less.
And with the generally flat terrain/rolling hills, firing a round with a range of over a mile is dangerous and completely unnecessary for hunting deer.
The AR-15 fires a .223 round with a maybe 600 yard max range or 1/3 of a mile. This isn't a sniper rifle. I think you have seen too many movies.

What cartridge are you under the impression people are using for deer hunting? 450 bushmaster and 350 legend (2 most popular AR deer cartridges) are on par w/ a 20ga slug ballistically.

I understand that. I am just talking about first or second season shotgun. Also, I am not anti-AK guy. I happen to enjoy shooting them along with other guns. I am just opposed to adding more distance to shells when hunting in fairly popular hunting areas. Either way, it's alright.
You’ve got me confused I think. If you’re talking first and second season, distance really wasn’t added when they started allowing rifles. The specific cartridges that are legal don’t really allow for more distance than your rifles shotguns. It’s not a normal bottle necked cartridge that you’d use hunting mule deer in Nebraska.

If you’re talking this late season doe, then I do think you can use the long range cartridge. (Not 100% sure). That’s why I brought up no party hunting for those seasons.

Reactions: Hammer93
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT