ADVERTISEMENT

Around the Horn in College Football

Mike Zierath

Family, football and fishing.....
Jun 3, 2002
Flower Mound, TX
Afternoon Guys (and Gals),

We are seven weeks in and there are some really, really, great things to discuss across the nation after this past weekend.

First and foremost; The Iowa Hawkeyes are 7-0. I could be wrong, but I think 2009 and 1985 are the last two times prior to this year. Someone correct me if necessary. I will honestly say that I had quite a few reservations about this past weekends game. For those that know me, you know I have always said that numbers don't often lie. They do, but not very often. Everything I looked at pointed to Iowa running the ball and beating the Wildcats, but, I still had some doubts based on what the past showed us in this rivalry. I should have just trusted what I was seeing and went all in. While I did pick Iowa, I figured it would come down to a late game drive or two to seal it up. Was even more worried after JC went down in the first quarter. Enter Iowa's fourth string tailback, Akrum Wadley, who proceeded to shred the Northwestern defense. Literally, shred it! Career highs in carries, yards, and tied the Iowa school record for touchdowns in a game. Are you kidding me? Thank goodness we had one back that looked like he was healthy, because the top three are either out or weren't going to contribute as much as we probably needed them to contribute.

CJ Beathard.....what more can be said about this kid and the guts it takes for him to take the field every single week despite the obvious pain he is in. Looks good till he's hit, then he starts dragging that leg and limping around. Ton of heart. That heart bleeds down through the ranks and brings everyone together. Other than 2002, I can't think of a team that embodies the term team as much as this one. Players follow leaders. CJ is a leader. But this team has something more! They have spirit. Not the "we have spirit yes we do" spirit, but the one that brings about an attitude of playing together with one another to accomplish a single set of goals each week.

I said after the Iowa State game that it became very clear what made this team different. When they joined hands and walked across that field to pick up the Cy-Hawk Trophy and take it home, we saw that no one was above the whole......no one was more important than the guy they played next to.....no one player was alone. And we have seen that play out over and over in what has become a very special season.

Speaking of seasons.........Holy Cow! Did we just witness the end of Michigan's chances at a Cinderella season? Unfortunately, I think we did. That was probably, one of the most amazing, jaw dropping endings I have ever seen. I guess that's why they say it's a 60 minute game!

Talk about 60 minutes.........someone forgot to tell Indiana. They gave up 28 straight points after being ahead 52-27, or something crazy like that, with like 8 minutes left in the third quarter of their game against Rutgers, and lost! That's head shaking!

Shaking is exactly what the polls did this week.......shaking up! The top seven remained the same, with some jostling between 3-6.....after that.....there were some really nice things taking place. Iowa up to 12. Temple, Pittsburg and Memphis making a jump into the rankings. And don't look now, but here comes Bama....AGAIN! That's one really good football team. Would love to play them!

Playing is what players do. There was a conversation earlier this week that reminded me of that. Someone mentioned, in more than one thread and more than one venue, that the players remembered, the players would be fired up over something that was said or that it was locker room material..........I buy very little of that. Players don't care. Not one bit. The only thing they care about is what's in front of them on the field or the film room or in practice. They don't have time to care what a bunch of message board posters think or what the media perceives as bulletin board material. The ONLY time they really see it is when a coach brings it to their attention. Or, of course, unless you are Blake O'Neill, and then you are assaulted by the internet tough guys from all over America, hiding behind a keyboard or phone key pad, sending him death threats or suggestions (along with instructions) on how to kill himself. They remember those things! His team will rally around him, as they should.

Definitely think there are still some teams that will fall out of the Playoff conversation in the next couple weeks. Notre Dame, Florida State, TCU, Oklahoma State and Michigan State all play their way out of contention in the coming weeks.

If Utah survives this weekends game vs USC, they will make a believer out of me.

And here it is, the first Hawkeye Report early list of playoff contenders! Are you ready?

1. Baylor is my number one. They don't really have a defense, but when you score 60 a game....
2. Ohio State is my number two. Defending, undefeated champion. Lose, and they are OUT.
3. Utah is my number three. I still say they have to win this weekend to solidify that spot. But, right now...
4. LSU is my number four. Big game upcoming. Bama can sneak in the back door with a win.

Next up: This becomes a weekly series during the season, with a new name.....good to be back!

Mike

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.