ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Sorensen

WDuck5217

Team MVP
Feb 19, 2017
Cool article about Sorensen. It's also pretty cool to here the way he talks about the Iowa program and TNT. He shows how the program isn't the robotic, no f*** place that people make Iowa out to be. Love how Tom and Terry push to have our kids excel on and off the mat.
Probably my favorite part about this article is when Sorensen says how he wants people to look back and see how he did it right between school, on the mat, and off the mat. McDonough had a saying like that in the Iowa way one time a couple years ago after his senior year. I will post the link if I can find it. But anyways, awesome article and hoping he can get it done in March.

I like Sorenson, and he's had a great career, but am I the only one who gets a little tired of Sorenson's quotes? It's always...

"I gotta wrestle to my potential..."
"I gotta pick up the pace..."
"I gotta score more points..."

And yet he NEVER does it. Anytime he is up against somebody that has a pulse he's content yet again to just win a close 2-3 point match. Again, I like the guy, but for someone who talks about having a sense of urgency, he's never shown it on the mat...

I like Sorenson, and he's had a great career, but am I the only one who gets a little tired of Sorenson's quotes? It's always...

"I gotta wrestle to my potential..."
"I gotta pick up the pace..."
"I gotta score more points..."

And yet he NEVER does it. Anytime he is up against somebody that has a pulse he's content yet again to just win a close 2-3 point match. Again, I like the guy, but for someone who talks about having a sense of urgency, he's never shown it on the mat...
Knowing your weaknesses, striving to overcome them and actually overcoming them are all different. He knows what he has to do and he is trying to overcome obstacles. No one said he had to be perfect. He may never be a flashy guy, but he is pretty impressive none the less.

Knowing your weaknesses, striving to overcome them and actually overcoming them are all different. He knows what he has to do and he is trying to overcome obstacles. No one said he had to be perfect. He may never be a flashy guy, but he is pretty impressive none the less.

I guess what's so frustrating as a fan is that so often it seems like he really isn't trying that hard to overcome them. Could he really only put up 4 points against Barone? DeLuca? Those were two duals where the Hawks desperately needed bonus points and he seemed content to just settle for a close decision...

Reactions: Ihawkd9times
I guess what's so frustrating as a fan is that so often it seems like he really isn't trying that hard to overcome them. Could he really only put up 4 points against Barone? DeLuca? Those were two duals where the Hawks desperately needed bonus points and he seemed content to just settle for a close decision...
Have you ever considered that maybe he is wrestling to his potential? He wasn't a mega recruit or a jaw dropping natural talent, but is likely going to be a 4x AA that never placed lower than 4th. He might fail to win a national title because he'll have been in the same weight as an all time great. He knows he has weaknesses, but he is what he is and that isn't for a lack of trying to improve.

Have you ever considered that maybe he is wrestling to his potential? He wasn't a mega recruit or a jaw dropping natural talent, but is likely going to be a 4x AA that never placed lower than 4th. He might fail to win a national title because he'll have been in the same weight as an all time great. He knows he has weaknesses, but he is what he is and that isn't for a lack of trying to improve.

I don't think he always does. I think he's the type of guy who tends to wrestle to the level of his competition, which can just be darn frustrating to watch as a fan when you know he can do so much more.

You want to tell me the same guy that came within an inch of beating last year's Hodge winner is only 3 points better than Barone or DeLuca?

Its all about peaking at the right time. Brandon has never been a big scorer. He wrestles smart, has great defense and is a counter wrestler the majority of the time. That's just his style. He has a great gas tank and will grind out a lot of wins.

Reactions: Dagboi
I can't speak for his effort against DeLuca, as I only heard it on the radio, but I think Barone is a bad style match-up for him. Barone is well coached against Sorensen and frustrates him on his feet. He can't seem to get his ankle pick or to any of his single leg attacks he uses most often. I hope he figures out how to get by his head and hands defense, but so far, in the matches I've seen, he's only been able to once per match.

I appreciate Sorenson for what he is. He could score more points than he does, but he isn't like the Williams or Montel Marion who could have scored at will and seemingly chose to wrestle close. After the nightmares at 149 between Metcalf and Sorenson, I'm just happy that we can count on a win against anyone other than Zain.

Three time All American about to become a four time All American ... pretty impressive any angle you look at it from.

Reactions: Chuck C
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT