ADVERTISEMENT

Ashley Hinson proposes a bill to ease the truck driver shortage.

But why is the limit the state line?

No limits inside a state. But they can’t cross the state line.

Admit it, you don’t like the idea because Hinson is proposing it.
Ironically, the infrastructure bill of 2021 (you know, the one Democrats love love love to crow about) contained provisions for a pilot program to train 18-20 year old CDL drivers for interstate travel. From what I understand, that program hasn't really materialized yet because of all the red tape involved.

18-year-olds are already driving semis in every state in America. They just aren’t allowed to cross state lines, which is what this bill would change. Is there something mystical about crossing a state line that we need to keep the 18-year-olds from doing it?
Long haul drivers are more prone to fatigue. A driver doing an out and back each day does not face the same fatigue factors a long haul driver does. Go to a shipper and wait. Drive, manage your time to hit a delivery. Wait at the delivery. Find a safe place to park. Blow a tire and wait for repairs. I hear all about it. A bunch of my wife's cousins from rural Indiana drive. Some do day work hauling grain or ethanol byproducts to Chicago and back. Some haul long distances and come home every week to two weeks. It isn't the same thing.

Long haul drivers are more prone to fatigue. A driver doing an out and back each day does not face the same fatigue factors a long haul driver does. Go to a shipper and wait. Drive, manage your time to hit a delivery. Wait at the delivery. Find a safe place to park. Blow a tire and wait for repairs. I hear all about it. A bunch of my wife's cousins from rural Indiana drive. Some do day work hauling grain or ethanol byproducts to Chicago and back. Some haul long distances and come home every week to two weeks. It isn't the same thing.
That’s why I suggested placing limits on the distance from home they’re allowed to travel and the number of miles and hours they can drive in a single day.

Let’s place restrictions that actually make sense. Restricting 18-20 year olds from crossing state lines seems too arbitrary to me. It makes no sense that they can drive from Moline to Chicago but can’t drive from Moline to Davenport.

The infrastructure bill contained provisions for a pilot program to allow 18 year old drivers to cross state lines under certain guidelines. Let’s implement that bipartisan plan.

That’s why I suggested placing limits on the distance from home they’re allowed to travel and the number of miles and hours they can drive in a single day.

Let’s place restrictions that actually make sense. Restricting 18-20 year olds from crossing state lines seems too arbitrary to me. It makes no sense that they can drive from Moline to Chicago but can’t drive from Moline to Davenport.

The infrastructure bill contained provisions for a pilot program to allow 18 year old drivers to cross state lines under certain guidelines. Let’s implement that bipartisan plan.

Lucas thinks it's dumb simply because of Hinson. Tell me I'm wrong, Lucas.

Ashley has probably NEVER been inside a simi truck.
Coming-2-America-Arsenio-Hall-Black-Trench-Coat.jpg

Reactions: CaboKP and Hawki97
Ashley has probably NEVER been inside a simi truck.
Reminds me of a Tonight Show episode way back in the day when Johnny Carson was hosting and he was interviewing Suzanne Pleshette. She was asking Johnny about growing up in the midwest and Johnny asked Suzanne if she had ever ridden on a tractor.

“Johnny, I’ve never even been in a Chevrolet.”

Hmm, she has kind of an ex-lot lizard look about her.

I bet she's slurped some chrome out at Walcott, if you know what I mean.

B
IMG-0292.webp
You’re jealous and bitter because she wouldn’t give you the time of day and because Ashley made it a hell of a further the news media world than you’ll ever be. So why don’t you get little flick and you two can meet up with Huey Grey. So you guys can run a train on each other.

Lucas thinks it's dumb simply because of Hinson. Tell me I'm wrong, Lucas.
You are wrong. 18-20 year olds should not drive such large trucks. They lack the experience and driving skills. There is a lot of situational experience needed. If you think going across a state line is arbitrary, it may be, but it is also putting younger, more inexperienced drivers into unfamiliar situations where they can be overwhelmed, and not have those valuable skills that experiences provides. And, I guarantee you that insurers are not excited about younger drivers obtaining CDLs.
I have posted on this subject before, and it's Team Red that's making it political. It is simply a bad idea, and I have said so on multiple occasions. This is the wrong solution to the problem. Making driving better for current drivers would help in recruitment and retainment, and allowing more foreign born drivers is the answer.

You are wrong. 18-20 year olds should not drive such large trucks. They lack the experience and driving skills. There is a lot of situational experience needed. If you think going across a state line is arbitrary, it may be, but it is also putting younger, more inexperienced drivers into unfamiliar situations where they can be overwhelmed, and not have those valuable skills that experiences provides. And, I guarantee you that insurers are not excited about younger drivers obtaining CDLs.
I have posted on this subject before, and it's Team Red that's making it political. It is simply a bad idea, and I have said so on multiple occasions. This is the wrong solution to the problem. Making driving better for current drivers would help in recruitment and retainment, and allowing more foreign born drivers is the answer.
If it was strictly a “business decision” politicians would never get involved. It’s turning into a right-wing political “freedom” talking point....one Team Red feels confident it can win.

Reactions: Huey Grey
Liberals don’t want kids to grow up. So they can control what they do and how they think. Just like keeping them on their parents health insurance until they’re 26.

• Haha
Reactions: sabula
Liberals don’t want kids to grow up. So they can control what they do and how they think. Just like keeping them on their parents health insurance until they’re 26.
Yeah it's those damn liberals that are trying to control what women do with their bodies, what teachers do in classrooms, and what kids should read and think. Oh wait... that's the Republicans?Those damn liberals. 🤔

Reactions: joelbc1
Yeah it's those damn liberals that are trying to control what women do with their bodies, what teachers do in classrooms, and what kids should read and think. Oh wait... that's the Republicans?Those damn liberals. 🤔
Its liberals are the ones teaching Marxist ideology in the classroom and bragging about how abortions should be a right of passage for women. Liberals are the greatest threat civilization. You people are insufferable bastards.

Its liberals are the ones teaching Marxist ideology in the classroom and bragging about how abortions should be a right of passage for women. Liberals are the greatest threat civilization. You people are insufferable bastards.
And if there is ever an argument for 18 year olds to drive trucks across state lines, butz…. this is it! That Ashley Hinton is just too far ahead of most of us!

Think about what? How nonsensical it is that every state in America allows 18-year-olds to get a CDL and drive a semi but the federal government won’t allow any of them to cross a state line?

I mean, if we’re concerned about them driving long haul then place restrictions on how far from their home base they’re allowed to drive. Or how many hours or how many miles they’re allowed to drive per day.

But as the law stands right now, an 18 year old can get a CDL in Illinois and drive back and forth between Moline and Chicago, but they can’t haul a load from Moline to Davenport.

Please make that make sense for me, because I’m unable to make it make sense.
Well you figured it out and then just dismissed it by using an example to prove your point instead of you know common sense.

You know most people in the US don't live 5 minutes from another states border right?

It's not debatable that 18 year olds are far worse drivers. They are. Some 500% worse. That people don't want concede this makes them dishonest.

Well you figured it out and then just dismissed it by using an example to prove your point instead of you know common sense.

You know most people in the US don't live 5 minutes from another states border right?
Most Americans don’t live 5 minutes from the nearest state. That much is true. But every single person in the 48 contiguous states lives closer to another state than to the furthest point within their own state. That’s a geographic and geometrical fact.

My point that you’re either unable or unwilling to comprehend is that if we’re going to allow 18 year old CDL drivers to operate intrastate routes - and we already do, in every state in America - then it’s almost comically arbitrary to prohibit them from crossing state lines.

Place restrictions that make sense, including but not limited to the time and distance caps that I’ve already mentioned multiple times, speed governors on the trucks, load weight limits, forward-facing cameras and driver-facing cameras, and additional training requirements.

Or perhaps you’d like to add your name to the growing list of posters in this thread who want to ban 18-20 year old CDL drivers entirely? If so then good luck with the resulting supply chain chaos.

Oh ouch. You're mad. 😙 oh yeah, and Republicans are the party of less government. 🤣🤣

I know when I was eighteen I had trouble focusing through the adrenaline and excitement of seeing the Welcome To Minnesota sign. Now, it’s just whatever.

I haven’t read her position on this issue Gus. Tell us what she said, please.
She said nothing. Which is always what she says even when words are coming from her mouth. I dont think there’s anyone in congress with less raw intelligence actually.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT