ADVERTISEMENT

Assad

You people do realize that all types of people read these boards. Do you really think a prospective athlete reads shit like that it makes them want to come to Iowa? Go ahead and say awe it’s just a joke, blah blah blah. Go on any board and the only place you will find that shit is here. He lost. Big f*cking deal. If I recall only 1 person didn’t and that who we are chasing. And comment about the athletes don’t help the cause. These kids want to wrestle for a fan base that is behind them and encourages them. Not make stupid comment thinking they are funny

You people do realize that all types of people read these boards. Do you really think a prospective athlete reads shit like that it makes them want to come to Iowa? Go ahead and say awe it’s just a joke, blah blah blah. Go on any board and the only place you will find that shit is here. He lost. Big f*cking deal. If I recall only 1 person didn’t and that who we are chasing. And comment about the athletes don’t help the cause. These kids want to wrestle for a fan base that is behind them and encourages them. Not make stupid comment thinking they are funny
Really? There really are no other “fan bases,” competing with Iowa. Full stop. We are the biggest college wrestling fan base in the nation.

If you think that other schools don’t have their share of goofy fans, you are mistaken.

Why are you getting all worked up about something you can’t control?

Last edited:
Maybe they can go to those other schools with no message boards and 750 people at their meets. Way more attractive to a recruit.

well this is kinda awkward….. I thought we were having fun
giphy.gif

I would be wiling to bet that these message boards are at about the bottom of the list of reasons a kid would or would not come to Iowa to wrestle.

We seem to have this same debate every week or two.

I get what Illinois-hawk is saying--and others who make the argument about the need to support rather than criticize our athletes. But it also implies an either-or stance. Some of us support Iowa Wrestling but also want to have open and frank discussions, including criticism. One person's criticism or humor is another person's personal attack; can't please everyone.

A message board that only allows positive, reinforcing comments defeats the whole purpose of a message board, which is to share opinions. This place is often truly a cesspool, complete with childish trolling and an overabundance of middle-age testosterone, but it's still the best place to discuss Iowa Wrestling. Which is why many of us have been here so long despite the frequent flare-ups.

I get what Illinois-hawk is saying--and others who make the argument about the need to support rather than criticize our athletes. But it also implies an either-or stance. Some of us support Iowa Wrestling but also want to have open and frank discussions, including criticism. One person's criticism or humor is another person's personal attack; can't please everyone.

A message board that only allows positive, reinforcing comments defeats the whole purpose of a message board, which is to share opinions. This place is often truly a cesspool, complete with childish trolling and an overabundance of middle-age testosterone, but it's still the best place to discuss Iowa Wrestling. Which is why many of us have been here so long despite the frequent flare-ups.
Tarp,

I'd agree with you here. I'd even take it to the point where nickname forums such as this promote more open minded opinions. The HWC board where there aren't nicknames tends to be 100% pro-Iowa, which is fine. However it seems over there the critiques are few and far between. Then when they do occur it seems like the general population goes to bat against them. I can't help but think it's because people's names are attached to the post and people are afraid to post any slights against Iowa. Where as here it seems like they do go to the extreme bashing and take it a bit over the top sometimes. Seems like there is little common ground between the two. This also might be my experience only and people just might not agree with my thoughts in general. Message boards are a funny animal as far too many people get their kicks from the bashing vs. the knowledge exchange.

This is EXACTLY why I say parents should avoid these type of places. That or have SUPER thick skin like Mr. Arnold seems to have. However, even he would probably be best served avoiding places like this once his son officially starts wrestling. Yes, their overall contributions would be a great benefit, but it is VERY hard to ignore any negatives and that doesn't even count what you PERCEIVE as negative when the mood calls for it.

Remember this is a place for "fans" to say what is on their mind and fans is derivitive of FANATICS. A fan, especially one who pays sometimes substantial money to be a part of the program, should have the right to criticize. He should be able to speak his mind even if he is wrong. If you can't take that as a parent and let it go, you really shouldn't be on here...

page what do you mean GIF

"A message board that only allows positive, reinforcing comments defeats the whole purpose of a message board"
I have seen one of those boards....somewhere out east....can't seem to recall where....it was magical......coach was perfect, all of the wrestlers were the best ever, fans were perfect(just ask them) ....... it was a utopia for group think and all like minded souls were welcome with open arms......can't quite recall bwi ring a bell?

"A message board that only allows positive, reinforcing comments defeats the whole purpose of a message board"
I have seen one of those boards....somewhere out east....can't seem to recall where....it was magical......coach was perfect, all of the wrestlers were the best ever, fans were perfect(just ask them) ....... it was a utopia for group think and all like minded souls were welcome with open arms......can't quite recall bwi ring a bell?
Yeah, but out there, they touch kids. ;)

Reactions: BGon4ND
I think I know what you are referring to. Agree…That IS a beautiful place of perfection and enlightenment!

Reactions: el dub
Do people on this board tend to overreact or ride kids at times… yes they do. I try to stay positive unless it involves Carl and his kitty cats but sometimes it slips over to our guys. We are Iowa and expect the best but not everyone is Spencer and that is ok just give us effort and ignore the the trolls. Assad has never really been healthy and he was right there with a lot of the top 6 or so guys.

Are you so naive to not realize there are posters here that are rival fans posing as hawk fans here to do just what you are angry about? I know clown fans with Iowa Alts that post here to cast a negative light.

i am only here for the invigorating wrestling discussions and the comradery ... SORT OF... I figured Sans Souci was no longer here because he violated probation or something of that sort. I never like to see people bashing any of our athletes ....and I also see how some folks may get aggravated at times but in reality these kids are just that ... kids and it is slowly becoming a business that is ever evolving....and the Staff At Iowa is changing from a win every match , no matter what the cost.... to lets win while we can and also prepare for our biggest fights at the end of the season when it really counts. I have a feeling our wrestlers love the enthusiasm but they also feel the sting of the boos and the asinine remarks they see and hear on a daily basis.

ADVERTISEMENT