ADVERTISEMENT

Asshole quiz

Tenacious E

HB Legend
Dec 4, 2001
Doesn’t involve me directly this time. Across the street the homeowner has a corner lot. He fenced in his side/back yard with a 4 foot fence made of something between chain link and chicken wire. Whatever it is you can see through it. They have 4 little dogs that they leave out there who bark and yip at the top of their lungs when anything living walks by on their sidewalk, which is quite often. This time at 7 in the morning today, Sunday. Is he an asshole for doing this, or merely exercising his rights as a landowner? I say asshole. I would be ashamed if I were him, and immediately put in a real fence blocking vision.

Last edited:
Even a ‘real fence’ isn’t going to block the dogs from seeing and/or hearing other animals or people walking by. He’s an asshole for letting four dogs make constant noise, but a different fence isn’t going to help much.
I wholeheartedly disagree. My dogs love to bark, but when they see people on the sidewalk from our windows, but our back yard has a privacy fence and they hardly ever bark back there.

"He fenced in his side/back yard with a 4 foot fence made of something been chain link and chicken wire."

You need to be out of this neighborhood
Sorry Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I’m far enough my away and not here enough for it to really bother me. I do empathize with his next door neighbor.

I always wonder about people with that many dogs. I doubt they will be very receptive to your complaints, unfortunately.
My neighbors dog barks at everything. He puts a lot of effort into getting them to stop, and to his credit they're a lot better today than when we moved in 3 years ago. They at least now listen when he tells them to stop or come inside.

Again, he's put in a lot of effort. I can see how lazy people would not want to put in that effort and just let their dogs bark all day.

It’s a neighborhood built in the Wild West of the early 1990s ankeny. Not a covenant to be seen, which kicks as hard as it shoots.
I like small government, but unfortunately when it comes to neighborhoods, it means inconsiderate neighbors are more able to do their thing...

Reactions: Tenacious E
We have people in our neighborhood who leave their dogs out all day while they are gone. They freaking bark all day. Drives me nuts working from home. My dogs tune them out for the most part. I’ve called the city and the sheriff’s office with complaints. I know who these people are and directly confronting them will only cause issues. So I play music most of the day to drown out the barking.

Dirty deeds for dogs.

Hamburger/Rat Poison hand grenade. End of dogs plus the homeowner has to deal with bloody squirts (and bang his wife while he is trying to clean up).

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Even a ‘real fence’ isn’t going to block the dogs from seeing and/or hearing other animals or people walking by. He’s an asshole for letting four dogs make constant noise, but a different fence isn’t going to help much.
It's an ongoing issue drama in just about every neighborhood. We have a cedar "privacy" fence and Joey (when he was still ours) would always bark at squirrels and anyone walking by in the front. I got so paranoid about it I actually posted on our neighborhood FB page asking if it was annoying (we never let him bark outside before 8am and after 9am or longer than 5 min). Everyone was unanimous that Joey wasn't an issue, it's the dogs that are left outside while the owner is at work and they bark for hours straight.

Doesn’t involve me directly this time. Across the street the homeowner has a corner lot. He fenced in his side/back yard with a 4 foot fence made of something between chain link and chicken wire. Whatever it is you can see through it. They have 4 little dogs that they leave out there who bark and yip at the top of their lungs when anything living walks by on their sidewalk, which is quite often. This time at 7 in the morning today, Sunday. Is he an asshole for doing this, or merely exercising his rights as a landowner? I say asshole. I would be ashamed if I were him, and immediately put in a real fence blocking vision.
Relaxing Happy Sunday GIF by Markpain

Your posts on that were of the more memorable and funny things here. How did that play out long term?
Well we didn’t talk for a long time obviously. About a year ago a tragic event happened in our hometown that impacted my neighbor directly and personally. So…. I put on my big boy pants, took a couple shots of courage and went to his house to offer my condolences. We chatted about a lot of things, expressed our apologies, and had a few beers together. We still don’t talk much though. But at least we buried the hatchet.

I like small government, but unfortunately when it comes to neighborhoods, it means inconsiderate neighbors are more able to do their thing...
Well, that is a fair point. I’m sure there is an ordinance. Lord knows I’ve had a few Karens bitch to the city about a couple of things involving our house.

It's an ongoing issue drama in just about every neighborhood. We have a cedar "privacy" fence and Joey (when he was still ours) would always bark at squirrels and anyone walking by in the front. I got so paranoid about it I actually posted on our neighborhood FB page asking if it was annoying (we never let him bark outside before 8am and after 9am or longer than 5 min). Everyone was unanimous that Joey wasn't an issue, it's the dogs that are left outside while the owner is at work and they bark for hours straight.
People may not have had issue with your dog, but most people aren’t going to get confrontational in the neighborhood facebook group with a specific neighbor so not sure if feedback actually represented if they were annoyed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT