ADVERTISEMENT

New who is the asshole quiz

Since person A is the OP....definitely an A-hole ;)

Seriously though...I think homeowner B guy is the A-hole. If you don't want golf balls on your property don't live on a friggin golf course.
I also do not understand that. If you buy a house 150 to 250 yards to the right of a tee box and that is your MO/personality, you are going to stroke out. If looking at lots available, where it is relative to a tee box is the first thing I'm looking at.

Reactions: HawkMD
I live on the back of a public golf course. Recently I had this exact scenario, I just pick up the ball and tosses it to the golfer and he said thanks.

Simple as that. In the scenario that OP presents, the homeowner is being an a-hole.
200w.gif

Reactions: Thunderlips71
The homeowner is an asshole. I'm fairly sure that, in my old group. we'd have instituted a policy where there is no penalty stroke incurred if you hit that dude's house with a ball. Hell, we'd probably mandate that the others in the group buy you a beer if hit it.
There is a golf course I have played in Phoenix in a housing development.....There are stucco/adobe homes with golf ball imprints in the stucco/adobe from errant golf shots.....Shit happens.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I also do not understand that. If you buy a house 150 to 250 yards to the right of a tee box and that is your MO/personality, you are going to stroke out. If looking at lots available, where it is relative to a tee box is the first thing I'm looking at.
Probably be smarter to build your home in the middle of the fairway about 200 yds. out!

Stroke AND distance. Person A needs a golf rules lesson. (unless you found the one yard in America on a golf course that isn't Out of Bounds).

In league, we play everything as a lateral to speed up play (one stroke penalty, hitting 3).

Obviously tournaments go by USGA rules though.

Homeowner is, but I imagine he's shot a few golf balls through his mower.

You want the prestige of living near a golf course...this is the cost of doing business.

Homeowner is the asshole. JFC, it's a damn golf ball. Homeowner is for sure on the HOA board. And has cameras running at all times.

Homeowner is, but I imagine he's shot a few golf balls through his mower.

You want the prestige of living near a golf course...this is the cost of doing business.
Well that's the thing. Either people stay off your lawn and you hit golf balls with your mower, or people retrieve their balls and you hit less golf balls with your mower.

Reactions: MitchLL and Moral
Well that's the thing. Either people stay off your lawn and you hit golf balls with your mower, or people retrieve their balls and you hit less golf balls with your mower.

Dude probably wants to hit the golf balls with his mower so he has something to complain about at home, at work, and at the store when the cashier asks how his day was.

One of the most reliable risk factors for being an asshole is being technically in the right.

Wait…You missed the fairway by over 150 yards???

Person A is golfing at a municipal course, with homes built all around it abutting holes. Person A hits a shot that lands less than 1 foot inside the property of an abutting home. Person A walks up to the ball to pull the ball off the property with his club, when person B, the homeowner, and who just happened to be riding his zero turn lawnmower at the same time, jumps off his lawnmower and runs up to person A and said the ball is on his property, so it is his ball now. As evidence of his authority, person B points to a sign that says the same thing. Person A says "seriously? the ball is like one foot inside your property line. You live on a golf course." Person B says he lives on a golf course and that he risks broken windows, the ball is his, and to take some golf lessons. Person A says fair point on lessons, but he didn't break his windows and that he would have paid for it if he had, and that he will be taking the ball, which he proceeds to do without stepping on to person B's lawn. Person B walks up to person A, probably one or two feet from him, and says, "you're really an asshole." Person A responds, "I would say the same thing about you." Person A proceeds to take a penalty stroke, and drops a ball outside of the property line to hit his next shot, and proceeds to do so and goes about playing the rest of his round. What say you HROT, who is the asshole, A, B, or both?
Both. Homeowner is an ass hole for being a dick. Golfer is an ass hole for cheating and dropping after hitting OB instead of re-teeing shot. 2 stroke penalty upon completion of hole.

That said...as soon as that owner pulled the "my property/ my ball" schtick, I would have unloaded my bag, aiming at him with a 4 iron from 3 feet away and saying "Look, you got another ball!" after each shot.

I think new rules you can drop where it went OB and you’d be hitting your fourth shot at that point. (Assuming it was a tee shot).

You can actually put it in the fairway where it went out and take the 2 strokes. Person A is a cheater and Person B is an asshole.

Dude probably wants to hit the golf balls with his mower so he has something to complain about at home, at work, and at the store when the cashier asks how his day was.

If he's hitting golf balls with his mower he's cutting his lawn too short,.. The guy's a dick and he doesn't know how to take care of a lawn...

Person A is golfing at a municipal course, with homes built all around it abutting holes. Person A hits a shot that lands less than 1 foot inside the property of an abutting home. Person A walks up to the ball to pull the ball off the property with his club, when person B, the homeowner, and who just happened to be riding his zero turn lawnmower at the same time, jumps off his lawnmower and runs up to person A and said the ball is on his property, so it is his ball now. As evidence of his authority, person B points to a sign that says the same thing. Person A says "seriously? the ball is like one foot inside your property line. You live on a golf course." Person B says he lives on a golf course and that he risks broken windows, the ball is his, and to take some golf lessons. Person A says fair point on lessons, but he didn't break his windows and that he would have paid for it if he had, and that he will be taking the ball, which he proceeds to do without stepping on to person B's lawn. Person B walks up to person A, probably one or two feet from him, and says, "you're really an asshole." Person A responds, "I would say the same thing about you." Person A proceeds to take a penalty stroke, and drops a ball outside of the property line to hit his next shot, and proceeds to do so and goes about playing the rest of his round. What say you HROT, who is the asshole, A, B, or both?
Person B is an asshole.

And I say this as a person who currently has a hole in one of my windows from an errant golf ball that it is taking 6 weeks to get fixed due to supply chain issues.

If some hacker comes into my yard to retrieve their ball, I'd happily give it back to them in exchange for me mocking their poor golf skills :)

Both. Homeowner is an ass hole for being a dick. Golfer is an ass hole for cheating and dropping after hitting OB instead of re-teeing shot. 2 stroke penalty upon completion of hole.

That said...as soon as that owner pulled the "my property/ my ball" schtick, I would have unloaded my bag, aiming at him with a 4 iron from 3 feet away and saying "Look, you got another ball!" after each shot.

Well the OB rule would depend on whether the course has adopted the "local rule" that was part of the rules book revision a few years ago, under which player has the option of dropping in the fairway if they so choose. Players must find where their ball went out of bounds and create an imaginary perpendicular to the fairway, no closer to the hole. From there, you can now drop anywhere within two club-lengths behind the line.

You'd be amazed at how bad some golfers are.

My house is across a four-lane road from a golf course and I get 2-3 balls a week in my yard, some as far as the backyard!

I was actually able to make a photo illustration. My house is where this blank lot is in this older Google maps snap, I put the trajectory of the horrible shots that end up in my yard on the reg!

Bad-golf-shot.png

Ha ha,... through the rough, across the path and into the yard,...yeah, just a little bit.
I would add that after the kerfluffle, the other 3 in person A's group wondered if the ball actually ended up in person B's ball/rock garden of the tee, or whether Mr. I-ride-a-mower-for-less-than-10,000-square-feet-of-lawn, saw it there in the rough and kicked it into has ball/rock garden, because no one thought the ball was that far off target...

I would add that after the kerfluffle, the other 3 in person A's group wondered if the ball actually ended up in person B's ball/rock garden of the tee, or whether Mr. I-ride-a-mower-for-less-than-10,000-square-feet-of-lawn, saw it there in the rough and kicked it into has ball/rock garden, because no one thought the ball was that far off target...

I see,.. so this asshole, and failure in lawn maintenance, is also a golf ball thief,... makes sense.

For the record, person A isn't one to slow up play searching for balls all over the place. He chalks up lost balls as a cost of golf, and wouldn't have even considered walking into person B's yard to retrieve it. However, the ball was less than a foot inside the property line, and person A wasn't going to stand there and take person B's shit and aggression.
@Tenacious E is the A-Hole. ;)

If it's a couple feet and easily retrievable, homeowner is the asshole. If the ball is by the deck or there's a fence, the ball belongs to the homeowner now.

I was kind of leaning as A being the asshole, but I agree with your logic. If B had a fence, none of this happens

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT