ADVERTISEMENT

At-large bids released today and Brackets tomorrow

Kaleb Young Earns NCAA At-Large Berth

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa junior Kaleb Young has been awarded an at-large berth to the 2020 NCAA Wrestling Championships in Minneapolis on March 19-21. The NCAA announced the 330-person tournament field Tuesday.

Young is one of five 157-pound wrestlers to earn an at-large berth. His selection means Iowa will send its entire 10-man roster to the national tournament for the first time since 2015.

Young placed fifth at the national tournament a year ago, earning All-America honors at 157 pounds. He is 15-5 this season with six wins over ranked opponents.

Brackets and seeding for the 2020 NCAA Championships will be revealed during a selection show on Wednesday, March 11 at 5 p.m. (CT) on NCAA.com. @NCAAWrestling Twitter handle will also be releasing the top two seeds for each weight class every 10 minutes from 3 to 5 p.m. leading up to the selection show.

The 2020 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championship are March 19-21-23 at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. A complete list of qualifiers is available at NCAA.com.

KY looked really down at BIGs in the championship photo after the tourney, and with reason. We have the best motivating coaches. No doubt he comes back strong next week. The crazy thing is he is never out of a match and wins more close ones than loses. Sure there is Deakin who looks way above others but one short year ago KY beat him at Nattys. 57 is tough but Im going to believe KY is up to semis and maybe beyond.

KY looked really down at BIGs in the championship photo after the tourney, and with reason. We have the best motivating coaches. No doubt he comes back strong next week. The crazy thing is he is never out of a match and wins more close ones than loses. Sure there is Deakin who looks way above others but one short year ago KY beat him at Nattys. 57 is tough but Im going to believe KY is up to semis and maybe beyond.
I wish I had your optimism regarding KY. This may be one of those deals where the fans will never know what's going on. Lots of speculation on weight cutting.

Even if it's an injury, we may never know. I hope I'm wrong, very wrong, but if it's not injury related... it could be HEW?

Reactions: el dub and Gobblin
I wish I had your optimism regarding KY. This may be one of those deals where the fans will never know what's going on. Lots of speculation on weight cutting.

Even if it's an injury, we may never know. I hope I'm wrong, very wrong, but if it's not injury related... it could be HEW?

I tend to really try to temper my expectations when it comes to teams I root for, but I feel good (for some reason) about Young. Like many have said, we’ve got some great motivators in the room and Kaleb couldn’t ask for a more tight nit group of teammates to root for him. Perhaps having a number 2 seed put more pressure on him and he goes in relaxed. Imagine if you’re #1 seeded Ryan Deakin and you get a dude that beat you twice last year in the first round. Talk about a mind f*ck. I never say this, but I gotta good feeling about Young’s chances.

Does this make psu a threat anymore or is Nebraska a bigger threat now?
Nebraska's performance at B1Gs was largely based on the 3-6 place finishes, as they only had one guy in the finals. At Nattys... several of those guys will max out as R12 kids. I can't see Lovett, Purrington, Robb, Labriola, and the Hwt AAing. To me... they have Red, Schultz, and Venz as legitimate AAs. White is borderline to me. That's maybe top 5, barely.

As someone else stated in another thread... PSU can potentially have 5 finalists... with Brooks top 4. That's 90+ points, minimum.

It's still Iowa's to lose.

Feel bad for Nevills, roller coaster season ends on a sour note.

No matter the wrestler, no matter the team...I hate to see seasons end due to injury. These guys work way too hard to have to then absorb that. Bummer for Nevills and PSU.

However, I will say that for the first time in what seems like years Iowa is not down a wrestler or 2 going into Nationals and other teams seems to have been "selected" for their turn in the barrel.

No matter the wrestler, no matter the team...I hate to see seasons end due to injury. These guys work way too hard to have to then absorb that. Bummer for Nevills and PSU.

However, I will say that for the first time in what seems like years Iowa is not down a wrestler or 2 going into Nationals and other teams seems to have been "selected" for their turn in the barrel.
Iowa never got any sympathy when MM/Kem/Stoll had limitations or season ending injuries. Injuries are a part of collegiate wrestling. I doubt too many guys are at 100% come tourney time.

PSU still has the highest rated recruits and as many top end studs as anyone. They are the favorites until someone dethrones them. The margin for error is much smaller than many on here will admit. People forget that having 10 guys in doesn't mean much when the tournament gives so few points for guys who don't finish as high AA's.

Iowa never got any sympathy when MM/Kem/Stoll had limitations or season ending injuries. Injuries are a part of collegiate wrestling. I doubt too many guys are at 100% come tourney time.

This. It’s as if it’s some sort of epiphany for them that kids fight injuries... Cael said it right to our faces at the dual... Couldn’t wait to remind us that they’re missing 3 starters and did it unprovoked... Horrible look. Imagine Tom Brands saying that to a PSU fan out of nowhere. Would NEVER happen. Welcome to reality dipshits. Amazing how $ can’t wash away a concussion ain’t it?

Last edited:
PSU still has the highest rated recruits and as many top end studs as anyone. They are the favorites until someone dethrones them. The margin for error is much smaller than many on here will admit. People forget that having 10 guys in doesn't mean much when the tournament gives so few points for guys who don't finish as high AA's.

Literally no one is forgetting that.

This. It’s as if it’s some sort of epiphany for them that kids fight injuries... Cael said it right to our faces at the dual... Couldn’t wait to remind us that they’re missing 3 starters and did it unprovoked... Horrible look. Imagine Tom Brands saying that to a PSU fan out of nowhere. Would NEVER happen. Welcome to reality dipshits. Amazing how $ can’t wash away a concussion ain’t it?
Interesting

Literally no one is forgetting that.
Non stop posts on here about how Iowa has it locked up for the last 2 months you ignorant bastard. There have also been numerous posts about us being the favorites because we have more point scorers dumb%%%%!

Kinnick 4 Prez said:

Nebraska's performance at B1Gs was largely based on the 3-6 place finishes, as they only had one guy in the finals. At Nattys... several of those guys will max out as R12 kids. I can't see Lovett, Purrington, Robb, Labriola, and the Hwt AAing. To me... they have Red, Schultz, and Venz as legitimate AAs. White is borderline to me. That's maybe top 5, barely.

As someone else stated in another thread... PSU can potentially have 5 finalists... with Brooks top 4. That's 90+ points, minimum.

It's still Iowa's to lose.
[/quote]
Thanks! Appreciate the breakdown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT