ADVERTISEMENT

At least 150 people were killed by gun violence in more than 400 shootings across the US during the Fourth of July weekend

Actually I am not scared crapless because I own a gun and live in a very safe rural part of Iowa. I would never live in a large city where the vast majority of this crime is taking place. Large cities are great to visit but not to live in. Although there was 1 gun murder in my county last year by a drunk guy so we should ban alcohol to.

Wait, I thought you lived in Waukee????

If you do not think a year of letting people loot and riot cities and cries of defund the police have led to this then what has. We have given a group of society a free pass and the idea they can get away with anything. Guns do not kill people. There are not anymore people with access to guns the 5, 10 , 15 years ago. People kill people.
Lol.

When my grandpa was a kid, a young person could go buy ammo, Carnivals had live ammo guns (gallery rifles). More homes had firearms. Lower murder rate, fewer mass shootings, even though a lever action rifle could should 10 to 12 rounds in that many seconds. What changed?
Our economy. Neoliberalism, globalism, late stage capitalism. As wealth concentrates, job market and wages stagnate, prospects dim, this is what happens. We are destabilized. We’re a society that values money over life, be it human or, more broadly, our natural world. We are deeply, deeply flawed.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Why do people own guns and why do they use them? Understanding the ‘why’s’ might be a start at addressing the problem.

Why do people own guns and why do they use them? Understanding the ‘why’s’ might be a start at addressing the problem.

I use mine because I hunt, target shoot, and collect them.

Doesn't do shit for the people that have them illegally, though

How many handguns are running around the inner cities that are worth that much? Those are the crowds that may turn them in.
Yeah the people that are actually using them to shoot other people are going to turn them in. What are you smoking?

Yeah the people that are actually using them to shoot other people are going to turn them in. What are you smoking?
I’m guessing some will do it for a $1,000. I’m totally profiling here but there are a lot of families that could use $1,000 in the areas a lot of these shootings are happening.

At least 150 people were killed by gun violence in more than 400 shootings across the country during the Fourth of July weekend
Dude... were they unborn babies? If not, GTFO, they are the only lives that matter...

Only "advanced" country on the planet where this happens regularly = nothing we can do to prevent it from happening.

Only "advanced" country on the planet where this happens regularly = nothing we can do to prevent it from happening.

As a gun owner, I agree.

I think where you lose a lot of current gun owners, is it always seems like we are going after the legal gun owners, and not the illegal gun owners.

I don't have the stats, but I would argue that a majority of gun crimes are committed by people who don't have the legal right to have them, or did not purchase them legally.

I will jump through hoops to keep my guns, I enjoy them, so I will almost any registration/course/anything you want for me to keep them.

Maybe I am way off base, but these are my gut feelings on the issue.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
As a gun owner, I agree.

I think where you lose a lot of current gun owners, is it always seems like we are going after the legal gun owners, and not the illegal gun owners.

I don't have the stats, but I would argue that a majority of gun crimes are committed by people who don't have the legal right to have them, or did not purchase them legally.

I will jump through hoops to keep my guns, I enjoy them, so I will almost any registration/course/anything you want for me to keep them.

Maybe I am way off base, but these are my gut feelings on the issue.

What are the penalties for illegal possession of a firearm? Maybe that is an area to focus on.

I have no idea what the penalty is.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
As a gun owner, I agree.

would you be alright with legal gun owners being liable if a gun registered to them was used in a crime unless that gun was reported stolen?

guns have to have a legal starting point somewhere. They just dont come off the production lines and get placed into the hands of someone who cant have one as soon as its built. making responsible gun owners responsible for keeping their firearm safe and knowing where they are, and out of anybody elses hands (even making sure your kid cant grab it) would be a good start.

there needs to be better accountability between the guns getting from legal snd responsible owner into a criminal or mentally ill persons hands.

would you be alright with legal gun owners being liable if a gun registered to them was used in a crime unless that gun was reported stolen?

guns have to have a legal starting point somewhere. They just dont come off the production lines and get placed into the hands of someone who cant have one as soon as its built. making responsible gun owners responsible for keeping their firearm safe and knowing where they are, and out of anybody elses hands (even making sure your kid cant grab it) would be a good start.

there needs to be better accountability between the guns getting from legal snd responsible owner into a criminal or mentally ill persons hands.

Yes.

I keep my guns locked in a safe, as most responsible gun owners do.

Just like automobiles, all guns should be annually registered in the US. Likewise, most states require liability insurance on automobiles. It should also at least be required on hand guns. The issue over a ban on assault-style weapons and accompanying high capacity mags should be determined by the recommendations of those entrusted to protect us - namely the countries police chiefs. What better group to decide if a ban would be of help to them in fighting crime.

When my grandpa was a kid, a young person could go buy ammo, Carnivals had live ammo guns (gallery rifles). More homes had firearms. Lower murder rate, fewer mass shootings, even though a lever action rifle could should 10 to 12 rounds in that many seconds. What changed?

Every other show during TV prime time, and many movies glamorize savage SWAT and gang war-type shootouts. Sure, the previous generous were carpet fed WW2 and Vietnam war scenarios. But the current genre targets citizens and promotes covert participation.

Combine this with the insistence through legislation that all persons be allowed to carry weapons, and easing of other gun laws, and the problem will worsen. The argument supporting the 2nd Amendment created a crisis; an inventory of weapons, including military grade killing machines that are in the hands of groups unfriendly to this government.

The right is OK with this entire scenario.

Every other show during TV prime time, and many movies glamorize savage SWAT and gang war-type shootouts. Sure, the previous generous were carpet fed WW2 and Vietnam war scenarios. But the current genre targets citizens and promotes covert participation.

Combine this with the insistence through legislation that all persons be allowed to carry weapons, and easing of other gun laws, and the problem will worsen. The argument supporting the 2nd Amendment created a crisis; an inventory of weapons, including military grade killing machines that are in the hands of groups unfriendly to this government.

The right is OK with this entire scenario.
None of what you just stated in the second paragraph, wasn’t true in the 20s through 60s

I’m guessing some will do it for a $1,000. I’m totally profiling here but there are a lot of families that could use $1,000 in the areas a lot of these shootings are happening.
Yes. I like your thinking. If someone can turn in a gun worth $200 and get $1,000, that means that they can buy 5 more $200 guns and get $5,000 for them. Then they could 25 $200 guns and turn them in for $25,000. That sound like a fantastic business model for entrepreneurs who might otherwise just be criminals. Gun manufacturers could then start producing more guns and more profit to be made. Everyone wins at taxpayer expense!

Yes. I like your thinking. If someone can turn in a gun worth $200 and get $1,000, that means that they can buy 5 more $200 guns and get $5,000 for them. Then they could 25 $200 guns and turn them in for $25,000. That sound like a fantastic business model for entrepreneurs who might otherwise just be criminals. Gun manufacturers could then start producing more guns and more profit to be made. Everyone wins at taxpayer expense!

Heck, I'd have to get into that business too! Probably needed, so I can pay my increased taxes.

So gun buy backs won’t work? Who woulda thunk it.

Did anyone answer how many of the 150 that were killed were killed by magats and the nra that are blamed for it?

Did anyone answer how many of the 150 that were killed were killed by magats and the nra that are blamed for it?

No.
Just like for some reason no one wants to talk about what to do about all the illegal guns on the streets, you know, the largest issue.

No.
Just like for some reason no one wants to talk about what to do about all the illegal guns on the streets, you know, the largest issue.
Just because you may not have liked the answers doesnt mean it hasnt been discussed in this thread.

not sure you can do much about the ones already out there unless a bunch can be taken off the streets in raids. Figure out tbe hows and whys they are going from “legal” to “illegal” in the first place and enact a system that puts the hammer down on the last person/entity who had them legally if they end up in illegal hands. Put the responsibility on the owner to report guns stolen

maybe figure out technology that can allow the owner to make the gun unusable if they are stolen.

it may require thinking outside of the box and i am assuming a lot of NRA and gun nut types will be like “it wont work, cant do anything, maaah riiiitez” (may already have happened itt as thats the thinking of many who i have on ignore)

What are the penalties for illegal possession of a firearm? Maybe that is an area to focus on.

I have no idea what the penalty is.

In Iowa, before July 1, it was an aggravated misdemeanor. Punishable up to two years DOC. Not that you’d ever make it to prison on this charge alone.

For a felon in Possession or Dominion Control of a firearm by someone convicted of a domestic charge it is a class D felony. Punishable up to 5 years DOC.

Just because you may not have liked the answers doesnt mean it hasnt been discussed in this thread.

not sure you can do much about the ones already out there unless a bunch can be taken off the streets in raids. Figure out tbe hows and whys they are going from “legal” to “illegal” in the first place and enact a system that puts the hammer down on the last person/entity who had them legally if they end up in illegal hands. Put the responsibility on the owner to report guns stolen

maybe figure out technology that can allow the owner to make the gun unusable if they are stolen.

it may require thinking outside of the box and i am assuming a lot of NRA and gun nut types will be like “it wont work, cant do anything, maaah riiiitez” (may already have happened itt as thats the thinking of many who i have on ignore)

You are the only one that has discussed it with me. All your ideas I agree with.

There are 2 huge gun threads right now, and it just seems like this issue doesn't want to be discussed beyond what you have said.

It's all about punishing legal gun owners.

You are the only one that has discussed it with me. All your ideas I agree with.

There are 2 huge gun threads right now, and it just seems like this issue doesn't want to be discussed beyond what you have said.

You have to get past the gun idea. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Now maybe the death penalty for anyone who kills with a gun might be a starting deterrent.

Reactions: TylerJ76

Your post i replied to said no one wanted to discuss it. Also saw someone discuss gun buybacks also.

debate it, think its nonsense but saying nobody wants to discuss it is incorrect. It would be nice if more people threw out their ideas if they bring up illegal guns (even the ones who think nothing can be done)

Your post i replied to said no one wanted to discuss it. Also saw someone discuss gun buybacks also.

debate it, think its nonsense but saying nobody wants to discuss it is incorrect. It would be nice if more people threw out their ideas if they bring up illegal guns (even the ones who think nothing can be done)

Ok, cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT