ADVERTISEMENT

At least 150 people were killed by gun violence in more than 400 shootings across the US during the Fourth of July weekend

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006

(CNN)At least 150 people were killed by gun violence in more than 400 shootings across the country during the Fourth of July weekend as major cities nationwide confront a surge in violent crime, according to data compiled by the Gun Violence Archive.

The data, which includes the number of shooting incidents and gun violence victims nationally over a 72-hour period from Friday through Sunday, is still evolving and will be updated.

In New York, where gun violence has been rising to levels not seen in years, there were 26 victims from 21 shootings from Friday to Sunday, a decrease from the same period last year when 30 people were shot in 25 shootings, the New York Police Department said.

8 people shot near a Texas car wash after an argument
8 people shot near a Texas car wash after an argument

On July 4, the city experienced 12 shooting incidents that involved 13 victims, an increase from last year when there were eight shootings and eight victims, according to the NYPD.

So far this year, gun violence incidents in New York have spiked almost 40% over the same period in 2020, with 767 shootings and 885 victims. CNN has requested data on how many of the shootings over the weekend resulted in homicides.

In Chicago, after Police Superintendent David Brown raised concerns before the "most challenging weekend of the year" for police, 83 people were injured and 14 killed in shootings from 6 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Monday, according to a CNN review of preliminary Chicago Police Department data. The injured included a 5-year-old girl wounded on Sunday afternoon and a 6-year-old girl shot early Monday.

Two Chicago police officers were injured in an overnight shooting as an individual opened fire while officers were dispersing a crowd of several thousand people and made more than 60 arrests, police said. Both are expected to survive.

Unlike other cities experiencing a spike in violent crime, the homicide rate in Chicago through June is 2% lower than the same period in 2020. The number of victims is still 14% higher.

A reason for the drop was a less violent June where Chicago saw a 20% drop in homicides compared to last year (98 instead of 78), a 13% drop in shootings (416 compared to 363) and an 8% decrease in shooting victims (540 compared to 499).

Mass shootings​

There were several mass shootings over the holiday weekend. CNN defines a mass shooting as an incident with four or more people killed or wounded by gunfire, excluding the shooter.

Eight people were injured early Sunday morning in a shooting near a car wash in Fort Worth, Texas, after an argument between a group of men, according to a Fort Worth police news release.

One of the men left during the argument, returned with a gun and began firing "toward groups of people," and multiple people returned gunfire, the release said. Most of the victims, who are in stable condition, are believed to be innocent bystanders, police said.

Slain Georgia golf pro Gene Siller was someone who could make a bad day brighter, friends say
Slain Georgia golf pro Gene Siller was someone who could make a bad day brighter, friends say

In Norfolk, Virginia, four children were shot on Friday afternoon, including a 6-year-old girl who was initially reported to be suffering life-threatening injuries but is now in stable condition, according to Norfolk police. The victims also included a 14-year-old boy, a 16-year-old girl, and a 16-year-old boy, all of whom are expected to fully recover.

Norfolk police said detectives have arrested and charged a 15-year-old boy in connection with the shooting.

In suburban Atlanta, golf professional Gene Sillerwas fatally shot at a country club on Saturday, and police are still looking for the suspect, according to Cobb County police. Siller, 41, was found unresponsive with an "apparent gunshot wound to the head" and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. Two other gunshot victims were also found on the course.

Police in Cincinnati, Ohio, said at least two people were killed and three others injured at a holiday celebration at a park late Sunday night. The motive for the shooting is still unclear, according to Col. Lisa Davis of the Cincinnati Police Department. No suspects have been identified.

In Dallas, police responded to two separate shootings on July 4, one of which involved five men who were shot. Three of the victims were pronounced dead after being transported to a nearby hospital, police said. A 61-year-old man was killed in another incident after being shot "multiple times in the street during a disturbance," and died at a local hospital, according to Dallas police.

• Haha
Reactions: SoItIsII
If you do not think a year of letting people loot and riot cities and cries of defund the police have led to this then what has. We have given a group of society a free pass and the idea they can get away with anything. Guns do not kill people. There are not anymore people with access to guns the 5, 10 , 15 years ago. People kill people.

Last edited:
Surely more guns will help solve this. If that doesn’t work, maybe we can try eliminating training and permitting requirements so that anyone can own a gun without having any understanding of how they should be cared for or operated. And if somehow that doesn’t work either, more thoughts and prayers ought to cover it.

Surely more guns will help solve this. If that doesn’t work, maybe we can try eliminating training and permitting requirements so that anyone can own a gun without having any understanding of how they should be cared for or operated. And if somehow that doesn’t work either, more thoughts and prayers ought to cover it.
Nailed it.

It's totally BLM fault and looting and what not that has people like @mauricehawki scared crapless. We'll ignore the fact that gun sales incresased 66 percent in 2020 compared to 2019, which we usually see in election years, and first time gun buyers accounted for 1/5 of all new gun sales.

Then, and this is the secret they don't know because Fox News doesn't tell em, gun violence started to spike in April 2020. George FLoyd wasn't killed till May 2020. And urban, suburban and rural areas have all seen similar spikes meaning the violence is not just centered around urban, typically democratic areas.

Guessing mostly democratic majority cities. These are the people Iowans want to side with?
and if you read my post you would know gun violence is up a similar percentage in nearly every type of commnuity. Suburban, urban, rural.

Difference being there are a lot of TV sets in New York City not so many in Urbandale.

• Haha
If you do not think a year of letting people loot and riot cities and cries of defund the police have led to this then what has. We have given a group of society a free pass and the idea they can get away with anything. Guns do not kill people. There are not anymore people with access to guns the 5, 10 , 15 years ago. People kill people.
Too many guns on the streets, period.
I don’t necessarily agree with your arguments for why crime is up but I absolutely believe this will be a big reason why the GOP retakes Congress next year and probably the WH in 2024.

and if you read my post you would know gun violence is up a similar percentage in nearly every type of commnuity. Suburban, urban, rural.

Difference being there are a lot of TV sets in New York City not so many in Urbandale.
Killing is nothing new to the human race, pretty concerning.

Reactions: goldmom
Nailed it.

It's totally BLM fault and looting and what not that has people like @mauricehawki scared crapless. We'll ignore the fact that gun sales incresased 66 percent in 2020 compared to 2019, which we usually see in election years, and first time gun buyers accounted for 1/5 of all new gun sales.

Then, and this is the secret they don't know because Fox News doesn't tell em, gun violence started to spike in April 2020. George FLoyd wasn't killed till May 2020. And urban, suburban and rural areas have all seen similar spikes meaning the violence is not just centered around urban, typically democratic areas.
Actually I am not scared crapless because I own a gun and live in a very safe rural part of Iowa. I would never live in a large city where the vast majority of this crime is taking place. Large cities are great to visit but not to live in. Although there was 1 gun murder in my county last year by a drunk guy so we should ban alcohol to.

Actually I am not scared crapless because I own a gun and live in a very safe rural part of Iowa. I would never live in a large city where the vast majority of this crime is taking place. Large cities are great to visit but not to live in. Although there was 1 gun murder in my county last year by a drunk guy so we should ban alcohol to.
Except none of what you posted is based in fact. But, hey keep trying

And your one murder, I'm gonna guess over several years of zero, shows an infinity precent increase. That's way more than what we've seen here in the big scary city.

Forgive my ignorance, but everyone keeps saying too many guys on the streets.

Fine, as I gun owner, I will accept that.

What's the process to get the illegal guns off the streets? It's not like the gun stores are just shoveling out guns in the South Side of Chicago.

When my grandpa was a kid, a young person could go buy ammo, Carnivals had live ammo guns (gallery rifles). More homes had firearms. Lower murder rate, fewer mass shootings, even though a lever action rifle could should 10 to 12 rounds in that many seconds. What changed?

Reactions: hmshawk12
When my grandpa was a kid, a young person could go buy ammo, Carnivals had live ammo guns (gallery rifles). More homes had firearms. Lower murder rate, fewer mass shootings, even though a lever action rifle could should 10 to 12 rounds in that many seconds. What changed?

Everyone is a LOT MORE PISSED OFF than they were back then.

Reactions: Gimmered

What's the process to get the illegal guns off the streets? It's not like the gun stores are just shoveling out guns in the South Side of Chicago.

Couple things are happening. You have more people buying guys. Even legal. Well then in a few years they don't want them they are being sold on Facebook and a few steps later they are on the South Side of Chicago, as you put it.

You need to resume buy back programs for guns and not just be like here $100. Make a real incentive to turn in guns.

The other thing, is give -- especially youth-- something to do other than gun. We were making some small progress there, but then the pandemic hit and we lost a crap ton of structure and the economy went in the crapper.

It could be that we have a whole lot of guns available to people. Of course, I’m just spit ballin here

• Haha
Couple things are happening. You have more people buying guys. Even legal. Well then in a few years they don't want them they are being sold on Facebook and a few steps later they are on the South Side of Chicago, as you put it.

You need to resume buy back programs for guns and not just be like here $100. Make a real incentive to turn in guns.

The other thing, is give -- especially youth-- something to do other than gun. We were making some small progress there, but then the pandemic hit and we lost a crap ton of structure and the economy went in the crapper.
I would add, decriminalizing marijuana, improving mental health care, increasing wages. Those would all help without restricting the second amendment.

Fair, I see nothing there I disagree with.

I would also add harsh(er) penalties for people caught with illegal weapons.

That horse has left the barn, I’m afraid.

Fair, I see nothing there I disagree with.

I agree as well as free gun safety training for first time buyers.

@Formerly Rockymtnole actually it hasn't. There was small progress made there, but the problem is it comes up every four years. Republicans say Democrats are gonna take your guns, peope go out and buy guns, rinse and repeat.

Do you think normal every day citizens are responsible for this?

If you’d like to reduce the number of guns without infringing on the second amendment simply tax gun owners. Gun owners should pay for the cost that unfettered gun ownership inflicts on society
So legal gun owners who commit no crimes with their guns should pay for illegal gun owners who commit crimes?

Guns are getting into the streets illegally somehow. I assume they were legally possessed somewhere along the line at some point - either manufacturer, seller/retailer or owner.

Not sure it will do much good with guns already out there, but that would be a nice starting point to look at to slow down more from hitting the street if your inquiry was serious rather than a “nothing can be done so dont do anything” attitude

Last edited:
Id like every firearm to have a serial number in a location on a gun where the gun is destroyed to get to it.

if the gun was used in a crime the last registered owner of that firearm is also liable unless reported stolen.

any law abiding, responsible gun owner should have no problem with this, and would give an incentive to take precautions to keep your shitty kids from taking your gun and shooting up a school. have something like a “title” to transfer ownership when a gun is sold

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT