ADVERTISEMENT

Athlete’s Never Forget……..

joelbc1

HB King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Just had a discussion with my bride about my (in)ability to remember stuff she thinks is important….birthdays, anniversaries, family, ….that kind of stuff, but I can remember a stupid golf shot and the tree that got ion its way! She is probably more right than I but then I came downstairs and saw an old pic of me and Ted Williams taken many years ago….early 1990’s……

Ted was in town to help raise some $$ for Bob Feller’s fledgling museum he was trying to get started in Van Meter (remember “the Heater from Van Meter”?) Well, I paid some crazy $$ amount to get my pic taken with The Thumper. Waiting for the photographers tp get set and ready I told Ted I became a Red Sox fan back in 1956….My dad took me to a Sox/Athletics game in KC. I was 7yrs. old…and left-handed and loved baseball. My dad (a Cardinal fan) told me he was taking me to see the greatest left-handed hitter in baseball…..I remember it was the first inning and Williams came to bat and hit a home run over the right center field fence…..At that moment I became a Red Sox fan….for life. After recounting this tale to Ted, he smiled and said…”Yeah, I remember Kellner tried to slip a slider by me and I got all of it”….Now Ted hit over 500 of those things…but he remembered that home run he hit in June of ‘56…..who the pitcher was and what he threw! Almost 40 yrs. After the fact!
Males brains do work differently.

My wife could have told you this. I can remember moments of Carlton Fisk or the 2005 White Sox down to the inning, the name of the fifth member of the Sex Pistols, almost the entire starting lineups of the 1981, ‘84 Chicago Sting and ‘98 Chicago Fire championship teams, who produced most major label alternative albums from 1978-1993, and the details of every good HS hockey, baseball, and hs/college rugby play I made, yet I can’t remember past the second errand she listed that I needed to do.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JWolf74 and Torg
I'm the same way. I can remember minor details about all kinds of sports and music related things, but then I'm heading to the grocery store to get some stuff that I want, and my wife will tell me a few things she needs. Once I walk into the grocery store, I immediately turn into this regarding what she told me to get for her....
replacing-biden-explainer.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I used to see Teddy Ballgame frequently at Charlie's Fish House in Crystal River, FL (a couple of blocks from the boat ramp that was in that video earlier this week). He lived nearby and was a regular there.

I can remember running a 124 trap play against Carroll in 1997, the score, the time, and the result.....but if you asked me what I had to eat yesterday.....good luck

Just had a discussion with my bride about my (in)ability to remember stuff she thinks is important….birthdays, anniversaries, family, ….that kind of stuff, but I can remember a stupid golf shot and the tree that got ion its way! She is probably more right than I but then I came downstairs and saw an old pic of me and Ted Williams taken many years ago….early 1990’s……

Ted was in town to help raise some $$ for Bob Feller’s fledgling museum he was trying to get started in Van Meter (remember “the Heater from Van Meter”?) Well, I paid some crazy $$ amount to get my pic taken with The Thumper. Waiting for the photographers tp get set and ready I told Ted I became a Red Sox fan back in 1956….My dad took me to a Sox/Athletics game in KC. I was 7yrs. old…and left-handed and loved baseball. My dad (a Cardinal fan) told me he was taking me to see the greatest left-handed hitter in baseball…..I remember it was the first inning and Williams came to bat and hit a home run over the right center field fence…..At that moment I became a Red Sox fan….for life. After recounting this tale to Ted, he smiled and said…”Yeah, I remember Kellner tried to slip a slider by me and I got all of it”….Now Ted hit over 500 of those things…but he remembered that home run he hit in June of ‘56…..who the pitcher was and what he threw! Almost 40 yrs. After the fact!
Males brains do work differently.
Favorite williams story was of a rookie striking him out then getting pranked into going over to the visitor locker room to have him sign it.
Next time picture faced him ted hits one about 400ft and shouts at the kid “i’ll sign that one if you can find it” as he rounds first base.

Reactions: hawkirugged17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT