ADVERTISEMENT

Audiobooks

ConvenientParking

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2016
Anyone else struggle with these? I started listening to podcasts before I really tried audiobooks as a way to consume books. Tried to start listening to audiobooks more in the last year and I treat them just like podcasts where I check in and out and miss a lot while I'm scrolling on my phone. Whereas with physical books I have to put them down to look at my phone. So I don't get through them as quickly as before smartphones existed, but I don't miss more than the odd paragraph or two where I'm absentmindedly reading and catch myself and go back.

Reactions: StallmanCurse
Audiobooks have become increasingly popular in recent years, offering a convenient and immersive way to enjoy literature and spoken-word content. With the rise of digital technology and the widespread availability of smartphones and tablets, audiobooks have become more accessible than ever, allowing listeners to enjoy their favorite books anytime, anywhere.

One of the key advantages of audiobooks is their convenience. Unlike traditional printed books, audiobooks can be listened to on-the-go, whether during a commute, while exercising, or while doing household chores. This flexibility allows people to make the most of their time and incorporate reading into their busy schedules more easily.

Moreover, audiobooks offer a unique listening experience that can enhance the enjoyment of a book. Skilled narrators bring characters to life through their performances, using accents, intonations, and emotions to create a rich and engaging narrative. This immersive experience can deepen the listener's connection to the story and make it more memorable.

Audiobooks also offer accessibility benefits for individuals with visual impairments or reading disabilities. By providing spoken-word versions of books, audiobooks enable people of all abilities to access and enjoy literature, promoting inclusivity and equal access to information and entertainment.

Furthermore, audiobooks can be a valuable educational tool, particularly for language learning and literacy development. Listening to audiobooks can improve listening comprehension, vocabulary acquisition, and pronunciation, making it an effective supplement to traditional language learning methods.

The convenience of audiobooks extends beyond individual listeners to include families and communities. Audiobooks can be enjoyed by multiple people simultaneously, making them ideal for family road trips, shared listening sessions, or book club discussions. This communal aspect fosters a sense of connection and shared experience among listeners.

In addition to traditional audiobooks narrated by professional actors or authors, there is a growing trend of celebrity-narrated audiobooks. Famous actors, musicians, and public figures lend their voices to audiobook productions, adding star power and enhancing the appeal of certain titles.

The digital nature of audiobooks also offers benefits in terms of storage and accessibility. Unlike physical books, audiobooks take up minimal space and can be stored and accessed easily on electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets, or computers. This portability allows listeners to carry entire libraries with them wherever they go.

Audiobooks have also opened up new opportunities for authors and publishers to reach audiences in innovative ways. Self-publishing platforms and audiobook production services have made it easier for authors to create and distribute their own audiobooks, bypassing traditional publishing barriers and reaching niche audiences directly.

Moreover, audiobooks have proven to be a lucrative market for publishers and content creators, with sales of audiobooks experiencing steady growth in recent years. This growth has been fueled by factors such as the proliferation of streaming services, increased smartphone usage, and the popularity of subscription-based audiobook platforms.

Subscription-based audiobook services have emerged as a convenient and cost-effective way for listeners to access a vast library of audiobooks for a flat monthly fee. These services typically offer unlimited access to a curated selection of audiobooks, allowing subscribers to discover new titles and genres without committing to individual purchases.

Another advantage of audiobooks is their ability to accommodate multitasking. Unlike reading a printed book, which requires the reader's full attention, audiobooks can be enjoyed while engaging in other activities, such as driving, exercising, or cooking. This multitasking capability allows listeners to make the most of their time and maximize productivity.

Furthermore, audiobooks offer a valuable alternative for people who struggle with traditional reading due to conditions such as dyslexia or attention deficit disorder (ADD). The auditory format of audiobooks can be easier to process for individuals with reading difficulties, allowing them to access and enjoy literature in a way that suits their needs.

Audiobooks also provide a solution to the problem of screen fatigue, which has become increasingly common in today's digital age. Unlike e-books or digital texts, audiobooks do not require staring at a screen, making them a more comfortable and enjoyable option for extended listening sessions.

Additionally, audiobooks offer a sense of companionship and intimacy that can be comforting, particularly for people who live alone or feel isolated. The narrator's voice can become a familiar presence in the listener's life, providing comfort and solace during difficult times.

Moreover, audiobooks have proven to be a valuable tool for relaxation and stress relief. Listening to a soothing voice narrate a story or guide the listener through meditation can help reduce anxiety, promote mindfulness, and induce a sense of calm.

Audiobooks also offer an opportunity for cultural exchange and exploration, allowing listeners to experience stories and perspectives from different cultures, regions, and time periods. By exposing listeners to diverse voices and narratives, audiobooks promote empathy, understanding, and cross-cultural communication.

Furthermore, audiobooks can serve as a valuable resource for professionals and lifelong learners. Business audiobooks offer insights into leadership, management, and personal development, while educational audiobooks cover a wide range of topics, from history and science to philosophy and psychology.

In conclusion, audiobooks offer a wealth of benefits for listeners of all ages and backgrounds. From convenience and accessibility to educational value and cultural enrichment, audiobooks have revolutionized the way we consume literature and spoken-word content. As technology continues to evolve, audiobooks will likely remain a popular and indispensable form of entertainment and information for years to come.

I first tried them while in an office setting when not in the mood for music and not feeling like doing any work. Now they are only ever used on drives of 2+ hours, which are few and far between.

I don't really bother with podcasts for the same reason you're not sure about audiobooks. I don't have the interest to listen closely enough for long enough periods of time to make it worthwhile.

Reactions: Moral
Another advantage of audiobooks is their ability to accommodate multitasking. Unlike reading a printed book, which requires the reader's full attention, audiobooks can be enjoyed while engaging in other activities, such as driving, exercising, or cooking. This multitasking capability allows listeners to make the most of their time and maximize productivity.

Chat GPT clearly did not read my post. I'm saying this is the major disadvantage of them. The challenge with them

I first tried them while in an office setting when not in the mood for music and not feeling like doing any work. Now they are only ever used on drives of 2+ hours, which are few and far between.

I don't really bother with podcasts for the same reason you're not sure about audiobooks. I don't have the interest to listen closely enough for long enough periods of time to make it worthwhile.

Yeah I don't think I would get into most scripted podcasts like the true crime stuff or other niche interests. There are a few short episode scripted podcasts I'll listen to but the majority of the long form stuff is unscripted interviews, comedy podcasts, stuff like that. Where you can miss 10 minutes and it doesn't really matter because there's no continuity you're missing.

Ya, I do wish I liked audio books more, but I don't. I don't mind reading though. In the car I'd rather listen to a pod than an audiobook.

Reactions: funksouljon
I end up having to skip back of I listen to them unless I am on a walk, working out, or driving. If I'm just chilling then I will end up just getting distracted online.

Reactions: StallmanCurse
Chat GPT clearly did not read my post. I'm saying this is the major disadvantage of them. The challenge with them
You are just multitasking with the wrong other tasks. Surfing while listening to an audiobook can use too much of the same attentional resources.

I used to listen to audiobooks while driving, shopping, working out and doing various chores. Since retiring, I drive less. Since the pandemic, I have most things delivered. But I still listen to audiobooks while exercising and doing chores.

Sometimes an audiobook is so good, I'll continue listening after finishing my workout or chores. But mostly I just listen in 10 minute to 40 minute chunks.

You are just multitasking with the wrong other tasks. Surfing while listening to an audiobook can use too much of the same attentional resources.

I used to listen to audiobooks while driving, shopping, working out and doing various chores. Since retiring, I drive less. Since the pandemic, I have most things delivered. But I still listen to audiobooks while exercising and doing chores.

Sometimes an audiobook is so good, I'll continue listening after finishing my workout or chores. But mostly I just listen in 10 minute to 40 minute chunks.
This is probably right. I did better with audiobooks disc golfing rather than working remotely. Do you find a particular narrator could be off putting for whatever reason, particularly if it's a book you read already a while back? In the most recent audiobooks I started, I don't enjoy when the narrator changes their voice to read dialog but I haven't listened to enough audiobooks to know if all audiobooks are narrated that way or if some narrators are much better than others at it.

Do you find a particular narrator could be off putting for whatever reason
Absolutely!

I always screen audiobooks by playing the sample before I buy.

On the one hand, I've avoided some that wouldn't have satisfied. On the other, I've started to recognize the names of some really good narrators. Sometimes I'll search for books by narrator rather than author.

I'm of an age that I sometimes reread favorite books. Sometimes I read the ebook, sometimes the audiobook.

If money is no object, you can buy the kindle and audio versions from Amazon and switch back and forth, while Amazon keeps track. So, listen while commuting or jogging, then settle into your easy chair later and pick up where you left off.

If money is an object, you can find audiobooks at libraries and some online sources.

Reactions: BelemNole
You can usually change the playback speed of audiobooks, depending on what device you are listening on or app you are using. It's worth experimenting with.

The 2 books I'm listening to now I'm playing at 1.0x and 1.1x, but that's because those readers are quite brisk already. Usually I listen at 1.2x; sometimes a bit higher. Beyond that it becomes less enjoyable to me, but YMMV.

If money is no object, you can buy the kindle and audio versions from Amazon and switch back and forth, while Amazon keeps track. So, listen while commuting or jogging, then settle into your easy chair later and pick up where you left off.

If money is an object, you can find audiobooks at libraries and some online sources.
Local library via Libby app is where I've been getting most of the ones I've tried. Had better luck with nonfiction. I actually ordered (from Amazon) three paperbacks of an author I got into recently after borrowing first book from the library and very much enjoying it and they come with free audio versions. Doing a little road tripping while collecting severance for about 7 months (layoff is imminent as in I can't believe it hasn't happened already yet but it certainly will any day now), so maybe trip to Denver might be good time to try to dive into an audiobook novel again.

Local library via Libby app is where I've been getting most of the ones I've tried. Had better luck with nonfiction. I actually ordered (from Amazon) three paperbacks of an author I got into recently after borrowing first book from the library and very much enjoying it and they come with free audio versions. Doing a little road tripping while collecting severance for about 7 months (layoff is imminent as in I can't believe it hasn't happened already yet but it certainly will any day now), so maybe trip to Denver might be good time to try to dive into an audiobook novel again.
Long drives are the best for audiobooks. A great fiction novel makes the time fly and the seats hurt less.

Ya, I do wish I liked audio books more, but I don't. I don't mind reading though. In the car I'd rather listen to a pod than an audiobook.
Many years ago a friend gave me The Godfather on cassettes. As I said, many years ago. My initial reaction was why would I ever want to listen to a book. I'm not a kid; I don't need someone to read to me. And I'm not blind, so I can see real books just fine, thank you.

After a while I felt guilty for not even giving it a try. So I started listening in my car. The drive into work was OK. An odd experience, but not bad. On the drive home from work, I got hooked. When I got home, I sat in the car for an extra half hour before coming in. It was that good.

Not everything grabs me. And if it doesn't, I'll move on. I love stories, and this is a terrific way to get stories.

I also listen to nonfiction regularly. I don't remember as much from a nonfiction work as I do if I read it the normal way, but the difference is that I finish the book. Whereas if I'm reading a real nonfiction book and put it down, I may never pick it up again. So I read more, but retain less. In the long run I think I get more out of it by going the audiobook route.

As one with vision issues (greatly impaired vision in one eye)audio books are a great alternative. In the car or at home, I enjoy their companionship.
My father, a journalist and voracious reader, developed macular degeneration, lost central vision, and could no longer read.

Back then, Books on Tape (or something like it) was available, but you were pretty restricted on what was available, and the quality of the narrators. It was a great service and my dad still read as much as he could, but it saddens me to think that he didn't have the amazing options we have these days.

Reactions: joelbc1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT