ADVERTISEMENT

Author Lyz Lenz praises life outside marriage in new book

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Getting married is often seen as a milestone achievement — right up there with buying a house or having kids.

But when Lyz Lenz, former columnist for The Gazette and now acclaimed author and writer for the New York Times, Time, and the Washington Post, got married at 22, she quickly discovered that marriage wasn’t always about both partners equally supporting each other. In fact, it was often about the woman providing free labor and support for the man.

After filing for divorce, Lenz found her life as a single-parent was filled with more: more time, more autonomy, and more lucrative work opportunities.

“Marriage is touted as a solution for everything from child care to poverty. But those benefits rest on the unpaid labor of women,” Lenz said in a recent interview.

In her latest book, “This American Ex-Wife: How I Ended My Marriage and Started My Life,” Lenz blends extensive research with her own story to explore the role marriage plays in our society.

This American Ex-Wife by Lyz Lenz
“I wanted to write a book that acted as counter programming to the message that marriage was the solution. I wanted to show that actually, for women, it’s often a form of entrapment.”

“In a world that seems to see marriage as an uncritical good, I wanted to say, ‘Actually, it’s not that great and there are other ways to live.’"

This interview has been edited for clarity and length.

Q: You did quite a bit of research for this book. Did you find anything surprising?

A: One of the things that surprised me the most was research that indicated that countries with liberal divorce laws saw women make more money, have longer lasting relationships, kids stay in school longer, and rates of domestic violence decrease. In sum, when women are given freedom and opportunity, everyone benefits.

So, when I hear politicians and pundits say we should make divorce harder, I realize it’s not about strengthening American families. If we wanted to do that we would empower people with choices, because that’s what the data shows.

I also saw data from a study that showed that women who made more than their husbands were more likely to be victims of domestic violence, and I think that reveals how deeply entrenched these toxic gender dynamics are in our relationships.

Q: My ex-wife and I are divorced. Did your research focus on heterosexual couples, or did you find overlaps that could apply to all marriages?

A: The sacred cow I am slaughtering with this book is specifically heterosexual marriage, because that's the system that is being touted as a political and economic solution for American problems. And there isn't enough research on gay marriage because it hasn't been around long enough. Which I think speaks to the power of marriage in our society that it's such a metonym for social order that it takes an act of the Supreme Court to change it.

However, I do think toxic gender dynamics trap us all. We are all raised in this culture and sexuality doesn’t absolve us of the messages we receive in our churches, from our parents, and from movies and books. I've heard from a lot of queer friends who talked about how they replicated these dynamics in their own marriages and lives. Part of the goal of this book is to push back against binaries and queer the understanding of love and relationships.

Q: I’m sure you’ll get lots of interesting emails once this book comes out. Why do you think people have so many opinions about marriage?

A: A lot of people keep asking me questions that are focused on the backlash I will receive. And as a former employee of local Iowa news, who has written about white nationalists, Tucker Carlson, Ron DeSantis and so much more, I am no stranger to backlash and I don’t think it's specific to the topic I am writing about.

Rather, I think it's more important to analyze the reasons why people feel comfortable shouting at, demeaning and firing women who challenge them. It's because even now, in 2024 an intelligent, liberated woman is a threat. A successful woman who exists outside the systems and prescribed boxes is seen as dangerous and people will do anything to push her back inside.

It's not just that people have opinions on marriage. It's that people do not like to see a woman successfully and freely exist outside of the binaries. And that's what this book does. It shows that the narrative of happily ever after is flimsy and precarious and that life on the other side can be fulfilling and glorious and beautiful. Also, I relish a little backlash. If what I wrote made people comfortable, I wouldn't be doing good work.

Q: What are some of the best things about being divorced?

A: Peace. Quiet. Not having someone expect an emotional performance of me …. I go hang out with friends or have people over and there is no one huffing about it in the corner.

I recently bought a beautiful piece of art for my wall that was priced like $200 less than what you can find online. And the guy selling it said the previous woman who tried to buy it couldn't because her husband told her to haggle and was such a jerk about the price, the seller eventually just told the couple to leave. I feel bad for that woman. I used to be that woman. But now I have a lovely home, I make more money, and that piece of art is above my bed.

I know even happily married women who tell me in secret that if something happened to their marriages, they'd never remarry. Our society fetishizes marriage so much, we've failed to fully understand how much of it is predicated on women's labor and misery. Not my life. Not anymore.

For couples who decide they do want to get married: what conversations should they absolutely be having before they get hitched?

See, for me, when you say what conversations “couples” should have, I know that in the case of cis/het couples, this will always be the woman initiating these conversations and I hate that. So, I am not giving that advice.

The advice I would give is that men in these cis/het relationships would take on the duty of reading “Fair Play” by Eve Rodsky, getting the Fair Play cards, examining the labor they do. Like actually being honest about it. And I wish that women would sit down and really think through the things they are compromising on and ask themselves why they feel they need to do that.

If you have to compromise on your career or give up your last name to make a partner happy, you are already giving up too much. And I know there is a Greek chorus of well-meaning people saying, "Well that’s just how relationships work." Actually, no. Because he's not giving up those things. So, why should you? Why sacrifice yourself on the pyre of a relationship that has no room for you?

Be pickier, be bolder, don’t be afraid to break things. Don’t be afraid to walk away. It’s great out here.

Getting married is often seen as a milestone achievement — right up there with buying a house or having kids.

But when Lyz Lenz, former columnist for The Gazette and now acclaimed author and writer for the New York Times, Time, and the Washington Post, got married at 22, she quickly discovered that marriage wasn’t always about both partners equally supporting each other. In fact, it was often about the woman providing free labor and support for the man.

After filing for divorce, Lenz found her life as a single-parent was filled with more: more time, more autonomy, and more lucrative work opportunities.

“Marriage is touted as a solution for everything from child care to poverty. But those benefits rest on the unpaid labor of women,” Lenz said in a recent interview.

In her latest book, “This American Ex-Wife: How I Ended My Marriage and Started My Life,” Lenz blends extensive research with her own story to explore the role marriage plays in our society.

“I wanted to write a book that acted as counter programming to the message that marriage was the solution. I wanted to show that actually, for women, it’s often a form of entrapment.”

“In a world that seems to see marriage as an uncritical good, I wanted to say, ‘Actually, it’s not that great and there are other ways to live.’"

Q: You did quite a bit of research for this book. Did you find anything surprising?

A: One of the things that surprised me the most was research that indicated that countries with liberal divorce laws saw women make more money, have longer lasting relationships, kids stay in school longer, and rates of domestic violence decrease. In sum, when women are given freedom and opportunity, everyone benefits.

So, when I hear politicians and pundits say we should make divorce harder, I realize it’s not about strengthening American families. If we wanted to do that we would empower people with choices, because that’s what the data shows.

I also saw data from a study that showed that women who made more than their husbands were more likely to be victims of domestic violence, and I think that reveals how deeply entrenched these toxic gender dynamics are in our relationships.

Q: My ex-wife and I are divorced. Did your research focus on heterosexual couples, or did you find overlaps that could apply to all marriages?

A: The sacred cow I am slaughtering with this book is specifically heterosexual marriage, because that's the system that is being touted as a political and economic solution for American problems. And there isn't enough research on gay marriage because it hasn't been around long enough. Which I think speaks to the power of marriage in our society that it's such a metonym for social order that it takes an act of the Supreme Court to change it.

However, I do think toxic gender dynamics trap us all. We are all raised in this culture and sexuality doesn’t absolve us of the messages we receive in our churches, from our parents, and from movies and books. I've heard from a lot of queer friends who talked about how they replicated these dynamics in their own marriages and lives. Part of the goal of this book is to push back against binaries and queer the understanding of love and relationships.

Q: I’m sure you’ll get lots of interesting emails once this book comes out. Why do you think people have so many opinions about marriage?

A: A lot of people keep asking me questions that are focused on the backlash I will receive. And as a former employee of local Iowa news, who has written about white nationalists, Tucker Carlson, Ron DeSantis and so much more, I am no stranger to backlash and I don’t think it's specific to the topic I am writing about.

Rather, I think it's more important to analyze the reasons why people feel comfortable shouting at, demeaning and firing women who challenge them. It's because even now, in 2024 an intelligent, liberated woman is a threat. A successful woman who exists outside the systems and prescribed boxes is seen as dangerous and people will do anything to push her back inside.

It's not just that people have opinions on marriage. It's that people do not like to see a woman successfully and freely exist outside of the binaries. And that's what this book does. It shows that the narrative of happily ever after is flimsy and precarious and that life on the other side can be fulfilling and glorious and beautiful. Also, I relish a little backlash. If what I wrote made people comfortable, I wouldn't be doing good work.

A: Peace. Quiet. Not having someone expect an emotional performance of me …. I go hang out with friends or have people over and there is no one huffing about it in the corner.

I recently bought a beautiful piece of art for my wall that was priced like $200 less than what you can find online. And the guy selling it said the previous woman who tried to buy it couldn't because her husband told her to haggle and was such a jerk about the price, the seller eventually just told the couple to leave. I feel bad for that woman. I used to be that woman. But now I have a lovely home, I make more money, and that piece of art is above my bed.

I know even happily married women who tell me in secret that if something happened to their marriages, they'd never remarry. Our society fetishizes marriage so much, we've failed to fully understand how much of it is predicated on women's labor and misery. Not my life. Not anymore.

For couples who decide they do want to get married: what conversations should they absolutely be having before they get hitched?

See, for me, when you say what conversations “couples” should have, I know that in the case of cis/het couples, this will always be the woman initiating these conversations and I hate that. So, I am not giving that advice.

The advice I would give is that men in these cis/het relationships would take on the duty of reading “Fair Play” by Eve Rodsky, getting the Fair Play cards, examining the labor they do. Like actually being honest about it. And I wish that women would sit down and really think through the things they are compromising on and ask themselves why they feel they need to do that.

If you have to compromise on your career or give up your last name to make a partner happy, you are already giving up too much. And I know there is a Greek chorus of well-meaning people saying, "Well that’s just how relationships work." Actually, no. Because he's not giving up those things. So, why should you? Why sacrifice yourself on the pyre of a relationship that has no room for you?

Be pickier, be bolder, don’t be afraid to break things. Don’t be afraid to walk away. It’s great out here.

What a loon.

• Haha
Reactions: Wendy79 and goldmom
I have seen 3 marriages where the wife had a better paying
career and the husband was simply lazy about having a
decent job. Eventually, all three of these marriages ended
in divorce because the wife had gotten tired of a free-loading
husband. These couples attended the same church as our
family. All three of the divorced wives remarried and found
a stable and successful husband.

Bottom Line: Marriage works best when the husband and wife
have similar goals and support each other in their careers.

Last edited:
This is the year of the dragon, the election — and the best-selling marriage memoir, if you subscribe to the idea that three’s a trend. First there was “More,” Molly Roden Winter’s tale of polyamory, which landed on the nonfiction list in February. Then the romantic tide turned, with two accounts of divorce amicably occupying last week’s No. 7 and No. 9 spots. Tempting as it might be to pit their authors, Leslie Jamison and Lyz Lenz — both mothers in their early 40s — against each other, resist the urge. We’re better than that.
And so are these chroniclers of uncoupling, conscious and otherwise. (“Thank you, Gwyneth Paltrow, for paving the way,” Lenz said in a phone interview, “but you have to be rich to consciously uncouple.”) When Lenz learned that her book “This American Ex-Wife” shared a publication date with Jamison’s “Splinters,” she reached out immediately. The two writers had crossed paths at a book party for Lenz’s first book, “Godland,” and were friendly in the way of people who have, at some time or other, approached social media as a break room for solo laborers. Lenz and Jamison swapped books in June, then exchanged warm messages right before their books came out.
“We’re both trying to upend narratives — or create new ones — in a way that I think is really resonating with women in America,” Lenz said. She went on, “There’s still this idea in our culture that marriage is the box you check off, this unimpeachable union. So many people get there and it’s less than what they thought it would be.”

As Lenz stared down the end of her marriage, she thought she was “going to get to the other side and be this big sad sack.” But, she said, “I wasn’t even that sad about it. I’m not sad about it at all. Why am I hedging?”
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

While Lenz worked on “This American Ex-Wife,” she listened to Nora Ephron’s “Heartburn,” narrated by Meryl Streep, four times. She immersed herself in works by Betty Friedan and Ellen Willis. “I also read three biographies of Princess Diana,” she said. “I remember having this thought: If she could divorce the royals, I can divorce a Midwestern family.”
Why are so many of us drawn to books about the end of marriage? “People love a mess. They love to rubberneck,” Lenz said. “I wanted to give people a book that lets them stop apologizing for breaking, falling apart, not being able to hold all the ropes.” She added, “So many other divorce books out there are like, Here’s how you hold the ropes. Here’s how you double Dutch. I wanted the burn-it-down lady to enter the chat and be like, But also? You can let go.”

Pretty meh reviews from The New York Times and The Atlantic.

Basically calling her out for using the fact that her marriage sucked and her husband was a jackass to leap to the conclusion that ALL women are suffering from the evil patriarchy of chattel marriage.

Like, maybe don’t marry a dickhead Lyz. 🙄

Basically calling her out for using the fact that her marriage sucked and her husband was a jackass to leap to the conclusion that ALL women are suffering from the evil patriarchy of chattel marriage.

But then she couldn't play the victim and write a book about it.

And lets be honest, no one has gotten to hear his side of the story. And I don't think the fact that he didn't immediately rush out to write a book about his divorce means he's guilty of everything she says he is.

Reactions: goldmom
Her problem is more with the partner she picked to marry rather than marriage itself.

Yeah I'm confused about how you'd spin that out. You married a person who didn't support you or your family. You made a bad choice. I mean if divorce has improved your life great, but it stems from the fact that you messed up.

For the record, my wife makes more than me, will always make more than me, etc. She's a better employee and is more skilled than I am. But it’s never been an issue because I basically spend all of my time helping our kids.

And lets be honest, no one has gotten to hear his side of the story. And I don't think the fact that he didn't immediately rush out to write a book about his divorce means he's guilty of everything she says he is.
In either case, it sounds like (I’m not going to read the book) she generalizes too much from her own one case. I know quite a few people who got divorced and there’s no single theme. Sometimes:
  • One side or both simply chose poorly and the partners weren’t a match
  • Drugs/alcohol were involved with one or both in the couple
  • Infidelity contributed
  • Major life changes really blew things up for them
And more. Some have regretted the split and one couple may be getting back together. Some are thriving post-divorce with or without remarriage. Some have been a mess, set back by single parenthood and/or support/alimony.

Marriage isn't for everyone and too any couples feel pushed into it too soon. It's not easy - life puts a lot of shit in your way and it can be hard to navigate. I see divorce as a viable path when it's appropriate, but I think also a good chunk of people dive into it more quickly than they should.

He can't be reached for comment. There's no cell service on Cloud 9.

These are the threads in which I miss Lone Clone. He had the vapors in any thread about Lenz. She causes a lot of people to have vapors. Don't buy this book if you don't want to hear about her divorce.

These are the threads in which I miss Lone Clone. He had the vapors in any thread about Lenz. She causes a lot of people to have vapors. Don't buy this book if you don't want to hear about her divorce.
Yeah, it was pretty hard on him having two liberal columnists at his former employer.

Sounds like she wants to be a dirty whore that wants the D on her terms. Different strokes for different folks. And I’d drill her in the ace if she wanted me too. Then slap her on it, get dressed, throw her twenty and say thanks for the three minutes as that constitutes $400.00 an hour. She should be tickled to death with that rate.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
She wrote an article about her Church search in Iowa.

My biggest criticism of her is that she is always an absolutist. She takes an extreme, unorthodox position then absolutely insists it’s the ONLY way ANYONE should think and if they dare to disagree, well they are just “attacking” her because they are women-hating mysoginists. She allows zero room for nuance or debate.

She is the worst kind of liberal/progressive - completely intolerant unless you pay full obeisance to her way of thinking.

What a nice piece of fiction:

“I recently bought a beautiful piece of art for my wall that was priced like $200 less than what you can find online. And the guy selling it said the previous woman who tried to buy it couldn't because her husband told her to haggle and was such a jerk about the price, the seller eventually just told the couple to leave. I feel bad for that woman. I used to be that woman. But now I have a lovely home, I make more money, and that piece of art is above my bed.”

Congrats on enduring what half of all married couples do nowadays…

Lived to tell the tale

At one point in time this sort of opinion would have been fresh and interesting. But it has been done to death. It's passé

(Or at least it should be)

My recollection of Lyz was that I had most likely taken up a position contrary to hers at least once in the past. So I looked it up and, sure enough, three years ago she wrote a column for WaPo in which she declared that the state of Iowa considers Blacks and Hispanics ‘disposable’ and not ‘worth saving’.

At that time we were just weeks into the COVID vaccine rollout and she based this provocative assertion on the fact that minorities in Iowa had disproportionately low vaccination rates.

It apparently didn’t occur to Lyz that only front-line healthcare workers and the very oldest people were even eligible for the vaccines at that point. And the minority population of Iowa skews much younger than the white population of Iowa, so it made perfect sense that Whites initially had higher rates of vaccination.

Nope, the only conclusion she gleaned from the data was that Iowa doesn’t give a shit about Blacks and Hispanics.

So, yeah - fvck off, Lyz. And stay fvcked off.

Last edited:
Reactions: WrapItUpB
Two questions:
1. What happened to her pants?
2. Why isn’t she in the kitchen making us sandwiches?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT