ADVERTISEMENT

Auto manufacturers are removing AM radios from new models.

Not many engineers must listen to sports talk radio. Or sports in general.

Or they all have satellite radio and have completely forgotten that there are people who don't get those things.

Not a fan of this and it will probably keep me from buying from a car company that removes it.

• Haha
Reactions: QChawks
It’s dumb, but this is 2023 America where some overeducated twat with an MBA and excel says this makes sense

Outside of a Hawkeye game here and there I can't recall using AM more than a handful of times in the past 20 years. AM is definitely for the over-40 crowd... probably over-50 crowd.

Use to listen to sports radio on AM.

Now I just stream it via iHeartRadio

Can’t imagine it cost much to keep it in cars. Not like the tech of AM/FM is changing.

Reactions: h-hawk
My wife (no pics) listens to AM sports talk shows. She will not like this idea.

On the other hand I just bought her a 2023 RAV4, fully equipped with an AM radio! She puts about 3,000 miles a year on a car and should last her, well, forever

The only time I listen to AM radio is on the ride home after a home game. It's either a nice part of celebrating a win, or it makes me feel better after a loss to listen to the callers.

I listen to the Score 670 at times for White Sox discussion. Thats about it. Iowa Football is on FM on 100.7 and streams for free on Youtube.

• Haha
Reactions: DolphLundgren
Booo.

I actually bought my two boys older Sony dream machine radios so they could easily listen to Twins games on the radio. Turn on power, find station. Vs streaming requires a paid subscription and we don't have cable. There's a wonderful simplicity in hearing the AM broadcast emitting from their bedrooms.

I will steal Trad's thunder.

PEPSI! of sorts

Last edited:
Definitely a Pepsi thread.

My thoughts from the original thread is AM radio is a necessity for public safety and national security. In times where there is destruction of infrastructure from storms and hurricanes, or in times of war, AM radio is an essential form of communication. The power can be jacked up and one AM radio transmitter could reach 3/4 of the country if necessary.

Pull AM radios out of cars and AM radio stations disappear, the AM radio infrastructure will be gone.

I don't understand why we have to filter everything through our phones?
because our phones are part of us:

miss-you-crying.gif

I don't understand why we have to filter everything through our phones?

Plenty of states / locations don't even have cell coverage to support that.
You don’t have to use your phone if you can’t or don’t want to. For most people that just happens to be a really convenient option with excellent sound quality.

If you don’t own a smartphone or prefer not to use it for that purpose or you don’t have adequate signal strength where you drive then you can always buy a small AM/FM radio for about $15 and connect it to your car’s audio system via bluetooth or an auxiliary cord.

You don’t have to use your phone if you can’t or don’t want to. For most people that just happens to be a really convenient option with excellent sound quality.

If you don’t own a smartphone or prefer not to use it for that purpose or you don’t have adequate signal strength where you drive then you can always buy a small AM/FM radio for about $15 and connect it to your car’s audio system via bluetooth or an auxiliary cord.
Or car manufacturers can simply supply the radios as they always have.

Reactions: gohawks50
Or car manufacturers can simply supply the radios as they always have.
I’m offering simple, practical solutions that range from completely free to inexpensive and you’re summarily rejecting them.

It sounds to me as if listening to AM radio while you drive isn’t nearly as important to you as whining about change is.

Since I live in Iowa City and we actually have one of the last true community AM radio stations in the country with KCJJ I would definitely miss that option being available. That being said they stream live on both TuneIn and YouTube.

You can stream most AM stations for free through your phone.
I’ve been in multiple remote spots in the last year where AM is all that’s been available.
It’s convenient and not broken. I’ve got eight preset stations and I can flick a finger and change the station.

I’ve been in multiple remote spots in the last year where AM is all that’s been available.
It’s convenient and not broken. I’ve got eight preset stations and I can flick a finger and change the station.
$12.99 on the Walmart website, roughly the price of a fast food combo meal. Can store up to 58 preset stations and connects easily to your car’s audio system.

61vDOJdgUQL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT