ADVERTISEMENT

How much longer will new vehicles come with AM/FM radios?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Ever since the Galvin brothers introduced the first car radio — the Motorola — back in 1930, we’ve enjoyed all sorts of audio while behind the wheel. For decades, the radio was our main source of entertainment and information while we travelled from point A to point B.

Lately, though, the trusty car radio has been under siege. First up was Telsa, which refused to include AM radio in its vehicles because the electromagnetic fields generated by the car’s motors can make the reception of AM signals difficult if not impossible. Other EV manufacturers have followed suit with some (but not all) of their models. This includes Ford, which dropped AM from its 2023 electric F-150 Lightning even though it was standard equipment in the 2022 version. Odd.

Now, though, Ford is taking things even further. Its next Mustang — the internal combustion kind — will no longer have an AM radio as of the 2024 model year. In fact, AM will soon disappear from all Ford models.

Mazda, Volvo, Polestar, Rivian, and Volkswagen all think that the time is right to dump AM radio. That won’t sit well with drivers who depend on AM stations that deliver news, traffic, and sports, especially play-by-play. AM is on its way to becoming the new shortwave. (It will not go quietly, though. The National Association of Broadcasters in the U.S. has launched a campaign defending AM.)

This is part of a worldwide trend to modernize what auto manufacturers allow in their dashboards, something that goes beyond just AM radio. Way beyond.

The majority of revenue for automobile dealers comes not from selling new vehicles. The real money comes with providing service and repairs.

In contrast, EVs, in general, don’t require as much regular maintenance as gas-powered vehicles. EVs have fewer moving parts. They don’t need oil changes, spark plugs, air filters, fuel pumps, water pumps, and exhaust systems. They don’t have complicated multi-speed transmissions. There are fewer components to wear out and break down. Without this need for service, manufacturers and dealers are gradually and inevitably losing a revenue stream to which they’ve been accustomed for more than a hundred years.

Something needs to replace it. And that something is subscriptions.

Vehicles are turning into computers on wheels, run by millions of lines of code. And thanks to cellular technology, cars are increasingly becoming constantly connected to distant servers.

Tesla owners have become accustomed to dealing with software updates that can update, enhance, or alter the various operations of the vehicle. You may have already heard about BMW’s move to charge a subscription fee for heated seats. Ford has a patent that will allow the company to shut down your AC if you miss a payment.

So what does this have to do with AM/FM radio? Plenty, as it turns out.

After ceding ground in infotainment systems to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, manufacturers want to wrest back control and go back to the days of providing proprietary infotainment solutions, systems over which they will have complete control. Want a specific entertainment option for your commute? You won’t be going to the App Store. You’ll be contacting the maker of your vehicle who will then push a software update to your car. For an ongoing fee, of course.

GM is all over this. Just as Apple is planning to offer even more integration with cars, GM announced that it will reject “phone projection” interfaces in favour of its own system based on Google technology and software that will be inextricably intertwined with vehicle systems, a partnership that began in 2019.

The company is moving ahead even though every consumer survey I’ve seen says CarPlay is far more popular than Google’s Android Auto. The first vehicle to deny any phone integration will apparently be the 2024 Blazer EV. CarPlay and the current Android Auto offerings will still have limited Bluetooth connectivity, which means users will be limited to streaming music from their phones to the car. No more bespoke displays when you plug in your device.

More models will follow. In fact, the company thinks this could result in up to US$25 billion in revenue by 2030.

Proponents of this change point to satellite radio. Over the last quarter-century, drivers have shown that they will pay for this kind of radio. And let’s not forget that SiriusXM pays manufacturers for its place in dashboards. If that’s the case, it’s not that much of a leap for automakers to move to a situation where they charge a subscription for other radio tuner software — say Radioplayer Canada or TuneIn — that offers access to terrestrial radio. That could mean we’ll have to pay for AM and FM.

Yep. No more free audio entertainment from your car via the good ol’ AM or FM radio in the dashboard. The only antenna the vehicle will have is something that receives 5G (and beyond) signals for streaming data directly to the dashboard.

This scenario is still a few years off. Some manufacturers, Stellantis and Hyundai among them, have stated that they’re going to keep AM radio in their vehicles for the foreseeable future. Others, like Volvo, are siding with Ford. If that weren’t enough, we’re also hearing more about European automakers who may not include any old-school radios at all.

The car has been terrestrial radio’s most important environment for decades. This may change sooner than we may think. And it’s going to cost us.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
records-while-you-roll.jpg

Admittedly I’m curious what the long-term future of radio is.

I primarily listen to podcasts when driving; listening to radio for sports or music is very rare.

MAGAs will lose their shit, if they cannot get their AM-radio fixes of Alex Jones/Info-wars, Steve Bannon and other conspiracy-theorists.
I'd miss sports talk radio, but this might actually make America a better place. Not that those idiots wouldn't just pay XM for time on one of their right wing nutjob stations.

I'd miss sports talk radio, but this might actually make America a better place. Not that those idiots wouldn't just pay XM for time on one of their right wing nutjob stations.
Oh, I think most of them would end up either the satellite radio like you suggested or the podcasting route.

I like a good podcast as much as the next person while driving, but you are truly missing out if you have never listened to 45 minutes of ceremonial drum beating broadcast from the Warm Springs Reservation on Oregon Public Radio. I live going up and down the dial while traveling. That also leads to the wife and I yelling at the radio in rural areas when all we have to listen to is goof ball right wing media.

Reactions: TJ8869
Ever since the Galvin brothers introduced the first car radio — the Motorola — back in 1930, we’ve enjoyed all sorts of audio while behind the wheel. For decades, the radio was our main source of entertainment and information while we travelled from point A to point B.

Lately, though, the trusty car radio has been under siege. First up was Telsa, which refused to include AM radio in its vehicles because the electromagnetic fields generated by the car’s motors can make the reception of AM signals difficult if not impossible. Other EV manufacturers have followed suit with some (but not all) of their models. This includes Ford, which dropped AM from its 2023 electric F-150 Lightning even though it was standard equipment in the 2022 version. Odd.

Now, though, Ford is taking things even further. Its next Mustang — the internal combustion kind — will no longer have an AM radio as of the 2024 model year. In fact, AM will soon disappear from all Ford models.

Mazda, Volvo, Polestar, Rivian, and Volkswagen all think that the time is right to dump AM radio. That won’t sit well with drivers who depend on AM stations that deliver news, traffic, and sports, especially play-by-play. AM is on its way to becoming the new shortwave. (It will not go quietly, though. The National Association of Broadcasters in the U.S. has launched a campaign defending AM.)

This is part of a worldwide trend to modernize what auto manufacturers allow in their dashboards, something that goes beyond just AM radio. Way beyond.

The majority of revenue for automobile dealers comes not from selling new vehicles. The real money comes with providing service and repairs.

In contrast, EVs, in general, don’t require as much regular maintenance as gas-powered vehicles. EVs have fewer moving parts. They don’t need oil changes, spark plugs, air filters, fuel pumps, water pumps, and exhaust systems. They don’t have complicated multi-speed transmissions. There are fewer components to wear out and break down. Without this need for service, manufacturers and dealers are gradually and inevitably losing a revenue stream to which they’ve been accustomed for more than a hundred years.

Vehicles are turning into computers on wheels, run by millions of lines of code. And thanks to cellular technology, cars are increasingly becoming constantly connected to distant servers.

Tesla owners have become accustomed to dealing with software updates that can update, enhance, or alter the various operations of the vehicle. You may have already heard about BMW’s move to charge a subscription fee for heated seats. Ford has a patent that will allow the company to shut down your AC if you miss a payment.

After ceding ground in infotainment systems to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, manufacturers want to wrest back control and go back to the days of providing proprietary infotainment solutions, systems over which they will have complete control. Want a specific entertainment option for your commute? You won’t be going to the App Store. You’ll be contacting the maker of your vehicle who will then push a software update to your car. For an ongoing fee, of course.

GM is all over this. Just as Apple is planning to offer even more integration with cars, GM announced that it will reject “phone projection” interfaces in favour of its own system based on Google technology and software that will be inextricably intertwined with vehicle systems, a partnership that began in 2019.

The company is moving ahead even though every consumer survey I’ve seen says CarPlay is far more popular than Google’s Android Auto. The first vehicle to deny any phone integration will apparently be the 2024 Blazer EV. CarPlay and the current Android Auto offerings will still have limited Bluetooth connectivity, which means users will be limited to streaming music from their phones to the car. No more bespoke displays when you plug in your device.

More models will follow. In fact, the company thinks this could result in up to US$25 billion in revenue by 2030.

Proponents of this change point to satellite radio. Over the last quarter-century, drivers have shown that they will pay for this kind of radio. And let’s not forget that SiriusXM pays manufacturers for its place in dashboards. If that’s the case, it’s not that much of a leap for automakers to move to a situation where they charge a subscription for other radio tuner software — say Radioplayer Canada or TuneIn — that offers access to terrestrial radio. That could mean we’ll have to pay for AM and FM.

Yep. No more free audio entertainment from your car via the good ol’ AM or FM radio in the dashboard. The only antenna the vehicle will have is something that receives 5G (and beyond) signals for streaming data directly to the dashboard.

This scenario is still a few years off. Some manufacturers, Stellantis and Hyundai among them, have stated that they’re going to keep AM radio in their vehicles for the foreseeable future. Others, like Volvo, are siding with Ford. If that weren’t enough, we’re also hearing more about European automakers who may not include any old-school radios at all.

The car has been terrestrial radio’s most important environment for decades. This may change sooner than we may think. And it’s going to cost us.

Why would it not come with access to free content?

My 2019 Acura RDX has AM/FM but no longer has a CD player. I listen exclusively to Sirius XM to several favorites like when ESPNU is carrying college games around the country, and the 70’s 80’s or even 90’s stations.
I have Watercolors smooth jazz on my favorites too and have listened to it a few times.
I am not even aware of which stations are talk radio. I’m just not interested. Ugh. Who even likes driving and yelling at the radio anyway?
It’s almost as pointless as yelling on a message board. 😏
Now if someone can just tell me what I should do with my ten or so CD’s that I liked to play...? My FSU Marching Chiefs CD I loved to play as I inched along Tennessee Street on my way into the Stadium parking lot?

Oh, I think most of them would end up either the satellite radio like you suggested or the podcasting route.

why the heck would AM/FM radio stop? The interface is digital so you don't have to remove it ala a tape deck. You already have an atenna no matter what you use -- satellite -- or wifi internet. Not to mention the whole emergency broadcast thing.

The whole article is stupid because it ignroes thost points. There is no reason to stop it because it gives no benefit and comes at no cost.

why the heck would AM/FM radio stop? The interface is digital so you don't have to remove it ala a tape deck. You already have an atenna no matter what you use -- satellite -- or wifi internet. Not to mention the whole emergency broadcast thing.

The whole article is stupid because it ignroes thost points. There is no reason to stop it because it gives no benefit and comes at no cost.

Just kinda think that between podcasting options, streaming options that in time the demand for AM/FM radio will decline in time. I already found an app that allowed me to stream the Iowa sports broadcasts on my phone rather than playing games with the radio to see which one provided the best signal.

Reactions: TJ8869
On the rare occasion that I try listening to AM radio in my van, the sound quality is frustratingly awful. It’s much better if I stream the same channel from my phone to the radio using the iHeart radio app.

Reactions: sober_teacher
My 2019 Acura RDX has AM/FM but no longer has a CD player. I listen exclusively to Sirius XM to several favorites like when ESPNU is carrying college games around the country, and the 70’s 80’s or even 90’s stations.
I have Watercolors smooth jazz on my favorites too and have listened to it a few times.
I am not even aware of which stations are talk radio. I’m just not interested. Ugh. Who even likes driving and yelling at the radio anyway?
It’s almost as pointless as yelling on a message board. 😏
Now if someone can just tell me what I should do with my ten or so CD’s that I liked to play...? My FSU Marching Chiefs CD I loved to play as I inched along Tennessee Street on my way into the Stadium parking lot?
Yeah that's a different story, I don't remember the last vehicle I had that had a CD player.

Reactions: goldmom
I like a good podcast as much as the next person while driving, but you are truly missing out if you have never listened to 45 minutes of ceremonial drum beating broadcast from the Warm Springs Reservation on Oregon Public Radio. I live going up and down the dial while traveling. That also leads to the wife and I yelling at the radio in rural areas when all we have to listen to is goof ball right wing media.
You haven’t truly lived until you’ve listened to Swap Shop on AM radio while driving through rural Oklahoma in the middle of the night.

Admittedly I’m curious what the long-term future of radio is.

I primarily listen to podcasts when driving; listening to radio for sports or music is very rare.
AM radio is essential as an Emergency Broadcast System. In the event of hurricanes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters or worse, war in the United States, the AM radio may be the only form of communication. You can jack up the power on an AM tower and broadcast to over half the country from a single point.

Very shortsighted decision here.

I still enjoy listening to a live broadcast vs canned programming on Sirius, or my own self selected pre-recorded music,.. It's just more fun listening to something that's being heard by others at the same time...

Reactions: billanole
My 2021 RDX only has FM. I love Sirius. I do miss the Iowa post game driving home from Kinnick

AM radio is essential as an Emergency Broadcast System. In the event of hurricanes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters or worse, war in the United States, the AM radio may be the only form of communication. You can jack up the power on an AM tower and broadcast to over half the country from a single point.

Very shortsighted decision here.

Perhaps. I get what you’re saying from an emergency standpoint, but all things being equal there’s increasingly no need for radio short of emergencies.

You haven’t truly lived until you’ve listened to Swap Shop on AM radio while driving through rural Oklahoma in the middle of the night.
Well if you’re driving rural Oklahoma in the middle of the night you deserve it. 😦

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I listen to kxic 1540 in the cedar valley, especially in the morning. It’s all local programming in the morning and I hear relevant local news and weather and also relevant state history and information.

I get called into work a lot in the middle of the night and on my way to and from I’ll sometimes listen for a few minutes to the crazy preaching on there from 1 am to 3 am. Most of the time I can’t understand what the preacher is talking about but it always makes me laugh. It’s some inbred church that has 80 or so people that live in a compound and pay for broadcast time at night on lots of AM stations. It’s more or less a cult. The head guy is dead now but he was arrested a few times for assaulting underage girls. I think it’s called Overcomer ministries. Not sure why but I get a kick out of hearing it for a few minutes. Then I switch to xm radio.

I’ve never used the radio in my truck. Any sports stuff I can find in-app. If I plan to travel a lot, I’ll subscribe to XM.

Even in emergencies satellite radio seems like a better alternative.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I love AM radio, but only because I have an actual station in my city (1630 AM-KCJJ) that broadcasts live local information with real people in the studio every day. It's a true asset to our community and one of the rarest of things now in the radio business.

Every other local station is essentially zombie radio, no on-air talent, canned national programs (some national sports, RW hate radio, nothing local) all owned by big corporate entities with political agendas like iHeart, Salem & Cumulus. If that's what ends up being the only content available, then AM radio can jsut die as far as I'm concerned.

The last national radio show feed that I actually enjoyed was good, old Bruce Williams and he's been off the air since 2010.

Even in emergencies satellite radio seems like a better alternative.
Government can't take control/use satelitte radio and 30 milion people have access to it. So nope its not a better one. Good try though, damn facts always getting in the way

Government can't take control/use satelitte radio and 30 milion people have access to it. So nope its not a better one. Good try though, damn facts always getting in the way
Yes, they can. It’s a condition of the wireless spectrum lease. That’s why the government can send you messages on your phone in emergencies. They can also take over broadcast television.

Let me just go out to my car in the middle of a storm to listen to AM radio.

Reactions: goldmom
Yes, they can. It’s a condition of the wireless spectrum license. That’s why the government can send you messages on your phone. They can also take over broadcast television.

Let me just go out to my car in a storm to listen to AM radio.

Few know how it all started. A lost cell phone left back in a time travel painting:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT