ADVERTISEMENT

GOP sets political trap for Democrats with Israel bill

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
Johmson taking the "poison pill" to new levels.

House Democrats will face a tough vote this week when Republicans, led by newly minted Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.), consider a $14.3 billion Israel aid bill that includes cuts to IRS funding to pay for the package but no assistance to Ukraine.

The vote is sure to highlight the long-standing chasm between Israel’s staunchest Democratic allies, including President Biden, and pro-Palestinian liberals who have accused Israeli leaders of human rights abuses and war crimes in Gaza. Illustrating that divide, 15 Democrats last week declined to endorse a nonbinding resolution proclaiming U.S. support for Tel Aviv following Hamas’s deadly attacks last month.

But Republicans’ inclusion of the IRS cuts adds an additional complication, forcing the bulk of Democrats into the no-win scenario of sacrificing one priority in defense of another.

The bill is not expected to move beyond the House — leadership is eyeing a Thursday vote — but Republicans are already signaling their intent to hold Democrats to account if they oppose it.

“I understand their priority is to bulk up the IRS,” Johnson told Fox News this week. “But I think, if you put this to the American people, and they weigh the two needs, I think they’re going to say standing with Israel and protecting the innocent over there is in our national interest and is a more immediate need than IRS agents.”

Separately, Republicans will also consider a resolution this week censuring Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.), Congress’s only Palestinian American member, for her statement in the wake of the Hamas attacks that criticized U.S. aid to Israel as helping fuel the violence. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) moved to force a vote on the legislation last week.

House Democrats have been broadly supportive of additional aid to Israel following Hamas’s unprecedented attack on the U.S. ally last month, which triggered a war between the two sides. During the three-week Speaker saga, Democrats pushed their Republican colleagues to coalesce around a leader so the House could return to business and send aid to Tel Aviv.

But the GOP’s proposed cuts to the IRS funding that was approved as part of President Biden’s marquee spending bill — and the exclusion of Ukraine aid — are driving opposition among many Democrats, who want funding for the two embattled nations to move through Congress together and are hammering the GOP effort to blunt the IRS’s powers to pursue tax dodgers.
The converging dynamics are setting the scene for a complicated vote for Democrats later this week. And they are an early signal that Johnson, who is in his first full legislative week on the job, intends to put the unification of his feuding GOP conference ahead of any effort to reach across the aisle in search of bipartisan deal-making.

“Speaker Johnson is failing his first test,” Rep. Jake Auchincloss (D-Mass.) wrote on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter. “Conditioning aid to Israel on helping the rich avoid taxes is cynical partisanship, not leadership.”

House Republicans unveiled their Israel bill Monday afternoon, marking one of the first big legislative pushes under Johnson’s Speakership. The package is a significant departure from the White House’s $100 billion supplemental request, which includes funding for Israel, Ukraine, border security and allies in the Indo-Pacific.
Democrats and several Republicans — including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) — have been adamant that funding for Tel Aviv and Kyiv must be linked, with many concerned that support for Ukraine may not make it over the finish line if it is considered by itself. Growing GOP skepticism of Ukraine aid has threatened to stymie efforts to support the embattled ally 20 months after Russia’s invasion.

The House bill, to be sure, is dead on arrival in the Democratic-led Senate, where Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) blasted the proposal Tuesday as an “insulting” gift to wealthy tax avoiders. He’s pushing the Senate to approve the entirety of the White House’s $100 billion supplemental request.

But the House GOP’s strategy presents Democrats with a dilemma nonetheless, designed both to highlight the internal Democratic divisions when it comes to Israel aid, and to put Democrats on record opposing one of two items most tend to support.

Voting against the package will open Democrats to charges that they failed to assist their closest Middle Eastern ally in a time of crisis. Voting for it would undermine their position that the IRS funding is vital for modernizing the tax collection agency and empowering it to go after wealthy tax cheats — a key piece of their 2022 Inflation Reduction Act.

Asked Tuesday if Democrats will support the bill, House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) told CNN in an interview, “We’re gonna have a leadership meeting to discuss it tomorrow, and then on Thursday morning we’ll convene as a caucus.”

Some lawmakers made clear heading into the vote that they won’t take the bait.
“They’re setting a political trap,” Rep. Jared Moskowitz (D-Fla.), who said he will support the bill, told CNN on Tuesday. “It’s completely outrageous. It’s not serious policy.”

“This is what Republicans are doing while there are American hostages. They’re going to politicize funding for Israel in their greatest time of need in 50 years, and that’s why we’re calling out,” he added. “That being said, listen. I’m not going to fall for their trap. I am going to support Israel’s funding because it’s super critical in the world we live in today that we give Israel the support that they need.”

The White House was quick to note that emergency funding does not typically include offsets, with press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre arguing that the House GOP bill “would be a break with the normal, bipartisan process and could have devastating implications for our safety and alliances in the years ahead.”
Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), a prominent Jewish lawmaker, sounded a similar note, writing in a statement before the text was revealed: “When your neighbor’s house is on fire, you don’t haggle over the price of the garden hose.”

Many Democrats quickly accused Johnson of risking aid to Israel by attaching it to “poison pill” provisions that would ensure its failure.

“It is unconscionable that the Majority would try to seize on the trauma and urgency of this moment to push for partisan offsets,” Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) wrote in a statement. “The price for these political points will be paid in Jewish lives.”
Republicans, for their part, are also looking at some small divisions when it comes to the Israel aid package.

Reps. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) and Greene announced earlier this week, before text for the package was unveiled, that they will not support additional Israel funds, voicing concern with the ballooning deficit. Marc Goldwein, the senior policy director for the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, said the Israel bill would add roughly $30 billion to the deficit.

Johnson said he reached out to Massie to discuss the matter.

And Rep. Joe Wilson (R-S.C.), the chair of the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on the Middle East and North Africa, joined three Democrats in petitioning Johnson to bring the White House’s full supplemental to the floor.

But as Johnson, nonetheless, barrels towards a vote on the controversial legislation, House Democrats are once again lashing out at Republicans — a sign that the bitter partisanship is unlikely to subside despite a new man in charge of the GOP conference.

“There is no issue, not even an international catastrophe, that House Republicans will not manipulate,” Rep. Bill Pascrell Jr. (D-N.J.), the ranking member of the House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Oversight, said in a statement. “Advancing a partisan bill now is a disgrace and will not help Israelis.”

“I cannot say I am surprised but I am still almost speechless by the audacity,” he added. “There is no bottom for House Republicans.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4286340-gop-sets-political-trap-for-democrats-with-israel-bill/

Using Americans held hostage as a political tool in order to protect wealthy tax cheats. Johnson is a helluva guy.
I'd rather have the last guy in the seat....

That said....this vote presents a conundrum for D's. Vote against Israel aid because you want to keep the IRS funding.

New flash: the IRS ain't real popular with most Americans. As a matter of fact...the least popular government agency. (shocker)

It'll be interesting to see how the vote shakes out.

This is stupid. I know Pelosi did this crap all the time, both sides do, but wasting time bringing bills you know won't pass just to make the other team look bad is disrespectful to all of us who pay taxes for these people to represent us.

Sure, the average American votes yes to this in a heartbeat, but I still dislike the tactic. So wasteful.

That said....this vote presents a conundrum for D's. Vote against Israel aid because you want to keep the IRS funding.

New flash: the IRS ain't real popular with most Americans. As a matter of fact...the least popular government agency. (shocker)

As a wise man once said, sometimes you have to eat your peas. Taxes aren’t popular. No one wants to pay more. That’s why you need a robust effective agency that ensures that taxes are collected. Has nothing to do with Israel. It’s a political stunt.

As a wise man once said, sometimes you have to eat your peas. Taxes aren’t popular. No one wants to pay more. That’s why you need a robust effective agency that ensures that taxes are collected. Has nothing to do with Israel. It’s a political stunt.
Agree...just talking the politics of it.

If Americans don’t like interstates and roads that are drivable and a military and national parks and safe food and safe water and on and on and on, then sure let’s just stop with the taxes.

It's going to be an interesting week.

Very unfortunate for Israel ultimately. I'm afraid there's going to be a political divide created along the lines we see currently on Ukraine. Just in reverse.

Johnson's making this a political football...I think he'll do the same with Ukraine.

Among the legislation set to be considered this week:

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/31/house-israel-hamas-war-democrats-votes

A political trap for Democrats? I guess so, except here's the real story that will come out of this.

When Johnson was given the opportunity to do his job the first thing he chose to do was hold funding for Israel ransom so rich people could have an easier time getting away with cheating on their taxes.

Because Americans are dumb.. We can't have nice things in a large part because of tax cheats. This pre-dates Trump/Biden. I have heard for a long time that the IRS didn't have the funding and manpower to go after the biggest fish as far as ripping off the United States. Too many people don't understand that.

A political trap for Democrats? I guess so, except here's the real story that will come out of this.

When Johnson was given the opportunity to do his job the first thing he chose to do was hold funding for Israel ransom so rich people could have an easier time getting away with cheating on their taxes.
This. That's the narrative the Democrats have to push...because it's the truth.

People are smart enough to see what's going on here.

Johnson is overplaying his hand and the Renegers will end up paying the price.

This is a farce. The republicans proposing a cut to revenue generation is the height of stupidity and hypocrisy. But dupes like you and the rest of the right wing won't look past the headlines and will buy it.

This will never get to Biden. It's a stupid waste of time. Again.

Even Mitch McConnell calls this a stupid stunt. Pretty lousy political calculation on the Rs part here.

Btw, CBO just scored the R plan. They found it would actually add to the deficit.
It would be more surprising if they actually didn’t add to it, at this point. All that deficit talk is cover for Social Darwinism and corporate kickbacks. The only party to actually address it seriously in the last 40 years is the Democratic Party.

It would be more surprising if they actually didn’t add to it, at this point. All that deficit talk is cover for Social Darwinism and corporate kickbacks. The only party to actually address it seriously in the last 40 years is the Democratic Party.
Rs don't want to balance the budget. They want to gaslight. Johnson's response to the CBO report is that slashing spending can never add to the debt. Well yes it can when the spending you slash is tied to revenue. Unfortunately there are a lot of dupes who will believe him.

Rs don't want to balance the budget. They want to gaslight. Johnson's response to the CBO report is that slashing spending can never add to the debt. Well yes it can when the spending you slash is tied to revenue. Unfortunately there are a lot of dupes who will believe him.
Which is amazing because in any other field saying something that stupid would completely destroy your credibility and nobody would ever listen to you or take you seriously.

Reactions: Huey Grey
Johnson as speaker will be just like not having one. He won’t be able to do anything with crap like this. It won’t be interesting what Dems do u dip. It’s obvious it’s going nowhere. It will only hurt republicans more come election time.

• Love
Reactions: TheCainer
I have said before I think this is a massive miscalculation on the part of the house GOP. Sure they can get Dems voting no for Israel aid. And, while many people are simple minded, all you have to do is show that the GOP made a major international crisis featuring AMERICAN hostages a political game.

It is despicable and infantile as far as party politics goes. It might work to keep the deep red conservatives in their seats, but it will not play well in purple district America.

I can tell you that this independent ain’t voting for any Republican until they clean up this MAGA bullsh*t.

I wondered how the House Republicans would agree on a speaker but in Johnson they apparently found somebody evil enough to suit everybody.

Last edited:
No need to fund Ukraine - Trump said he can end the war there in 24 hours! How - cut off aide completely to Ukraine and give Putin everything he wants including all the land in eastern Ukraine that Russia currently occupies. Trump could care less that his buddy Putin invaded and occupied a sovereign country without provocation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT