ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Jones & her family updates

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Not sure what happened to the other Ava threads.

@KyleHuesmann , can you keep us updated on this tragic story? Is there still worry that Ava & her mom suffered brain damage? Or is Ava expected to make a full recovery after all?

Any way, in case people did not see this, this was some good news from today.

Check it out & Watch:

Last edited:
I have two daughters close to her age and watching that seriously made me choke up. I sure hope they make a full recovery, we all do. Sad and still hard to believe something like this had to happen.

“Ava is still not fully comprehending everything, so it is tough to tell what she thinks of it.”

Does this quote indicate that there is some residual brain damage that Ava has not yet recovered from?

“Ava is still not fully comprehending everything, so it is tough to tell what she thinks of it.”

Does this quote indicate that there is some residual brain damage that Ava has not yet recovered from?
Thats kind of the way I took that as well. T&P to her and her mom.....

Thats kind of the way I took that as well. T&P to her and her mom.....

Imagine how hard their heads must have hit either the pavement, a pole, or something else.

IIRC, the mom almost lost that leg, even after several surgeries. I wonder if the dad was somewhere under the car. The scene must have been gruesome, bloody & absolute chaos. IIRC, some people were trying to distract the youngest Jones boy (to keep his eyes off what was going on), who was lucky not to be seriously injured.

Also, Hunter Jones (the eldest son) indicated in the story from post #13 that the driver has a past of similar drug related incidents.

From a story I found:

Southern Indiana's Michael Hurley is charged with murder, assault and driving under the influence of a substance after the July 5 collision.

Hurley admitted to taking hydrocodone before driving, affecting his ability to turn.

Hurley was on probation at the time, according to court records.

Court records show Hurley had more than a year left on his probation sentence out of Scott County, Indiana, at the time of the crash. A Scott County judge had ordered 812 days of probation for Hurley starting in August 2021, following 49 days spent in jail according to the court documents. It came after he pleaded guilty to illegally having and using a prescription drug, and unlawful possession of a syringe in an incident last summer. That case was also directly connected to a narcotic drug. Court documents also show Hurley was originally charged with having Heroin in his car in that case.

Scott County Prosecutor Chris Owens said that for Hurley's Indiana case, probation warranted an assessment through their court's drug and alcohol program. And depending on the result, it could have ordered anything from required counseling to even inpatient services. But Owens said the probation office can't reveal the results of that assessment because of privacy concerns.

Melissa Dannefer is the mom of a player from the same travel basketball league as the one Ava participates in.

"Everyone, at least in the Kansas basketball world, knows who Ava is," Dannefer said. "We continue to pray for her, her mom and her family. It's just heartbreaking."

Last edited:

I don't think we should assume anything. She might be a quiet girl and is simply trying to process everything. Imagine the feelings she is going through: anger at the driver, sadness at losing her dad, etc.

And the last thing Ava probably remembered before waking up in the hospital was of her simply walking with her family in downtown Louisville. Can you imagine the confusion she had when waking up? Where am I? What the hell happened? I have been here how many days??? My dad is dead????

That's a lot to process and "comprehend" (Hunter's words) for a teenager.

I have a bad feeling about her ever playing again. I hope I am wrong. what a sad story.
I feel like Bluder and Iowa will do well by her one way or another. Like KF did with Michael Lois. He was the recruit who a month after committing hurt his neck in the swimming pool accident. Iowa still honored the scholarship and I forget the term but was still able to get a free education and didn't count against Iowa's 85 limit due to medical reasons. I know Bielen at Michigan did the same for a recruit whose Dad and step mom died in a plane crash where he was severely injured at the time. He was on the roster for 1 season and ended up as a manager for the team.

Thanks for posting Kyle. Much appreciated to see how Ava's progressing. Not surprised at all that coach Bluder is doing right by her. We've got some great people leading our young student athletes. Good coaches who are evn better leaders...

Sometimes I wish there were a rule where when something like this happens the school can still honor the scholarship and it not be counted towards the school's limit (no matter the sport). Granted, women's basketball programs can have up to 15 on scholarship....

Sometimes I wish there were a rule where when something like this happens the school can still honor the scholarship and it not be counted towards the school's limit (no matter the sport). Granted, women's basketball programs can have up to 15 on scholarship....
I believe if she (or anybody) is unable to play that it is a medical hardship and does not count against the scholarship limit.

I believe if she (or anybody) is unable to play that it is a medical hardship and does not count against the scholarship limit.

It’s amazing that someone can post over 50,000 times on a sports message board and not know that.

Will probably need to read it on Twitter before he can believe it.

Reactions: LGEND24 and DewHawk
People underestimate the power of being young and strong….. this is why I get kinda irritated with posts suggesting her basketball career is likely over…. She obviously has a long road ahead but nobody should count her out
And some people overreact for dramatic purposes too.
I have great confidence that anyone mentioning the possibility of her not being able to play again really would love to see her hit the court in any manner let alone accel like she has.
I am personally ecstatic to hear the positive progression even if it doesn't all pan out in the future.
Keep fighting Ava there is a very large presence of positive energy behind you and never forget we care, alot!

what a sad story
I don't think we should assume anything. She might be a quiet girl and is simply trying to process everything. Imagine the feelings she is going through: anger at the driver, sadness at losing her dad, etc.

And the last thing Ava probably remembered before waking up in the hospital was of her simply walking with her family in downtown Louisville. Can you imagine the confusion she had when waking up? Where am I? What the hell happened? I have been here how many days??? My dad is dead????

That's a lot to process and "comprehend" (Hunter's words) for a teenager.

The brother did talk about brain damage, esp. with Ava. But that could mean a lot of different things. Fortunately, she's young.

Reactions: Fan In Black
The brother did talk about brain damage, esp. with Ava. But that could mean a lot of different things. Fortunately, she's young.
That I think is the big issue. Will she get back to the person she was? Will this change her personality? It happens all the time that you can recover but not be the same person. My nephew was one of those. Also he had a friend that was in a car crash. She recovered but her personality has totally different. You just don't know. I hope she comes all the way back and is her old self.

That I think is the big issue. Will she get back to the person she was? Will this change her personality? It happens all the time that you can recover but not be the same person. My nephew was one of those. Also he had a friend that was in a car crash. She recovered but her personality has totally different. You just don't know. I hope she comes all the way back and is her old self.
WDRB did an interview with Ava and Amy at the end of last week. It will be aired around Noon on Monday and we will all be able to hear it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT