ADVERTISEMENT

Ayala, Riggins, and Hill win titles at Flanagan Open

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
What's up with Drake @ 133? Is he sending a coded message to Nate J?

Edit: I see discussion in other thread.
Looking at 125 this year I’m not sure if anyone but Spencer can beat Drake. Spencer is what he is but just the same I think Drake could compete well against this field…he’s going to be a monster next year!!

Looking at 125 this year I’m not sure if anyone but Spencer can beat Drake. Spencer is what he is but just the same I think Drake could compete well against this field…he’s going to be a monster next year!!

I don’t know. There are several guys who beat him last year that are still here, and some guys that went to the wire with him. He certainly hasn’t wrestled any quality wrestlers this year to prove he has improved. I hope I’m wrong, but I see him as a R12 guy right now.

I don’t know. There are several guys who beat him last year that are still here, and some guys that went to the wire with him. He certainly hasn’t wrestled any quality wrestlers this year to prove he has improved. I hope I’m wrong, but I see him as a R12 guy right now.
Pretty sure McKee is the only one he lost to pre-injury.

Reactions: mcpat
He either got hurt in that match or in practice the following week bc he missed the next dual Vs PSU. Not sure which?
I believe he was injured before the Henseilman match. I believe it actually occurred during the Northwestern match. Could be misremembering.

Drake steps in, IOWA keeps dominating 125! I sure do hope Nate stays on board. Then Drake goes up to 133 after a year at 125, and Nate steps in!

Reactions: Mendoza77
Said last year all he needed was more horsepower, so if that has improved he should be good to go

Like A Boss Ship GIF

Drake steps in, IOWA keeps dominating 125! I sure do hope Nate stays on board. Then Drake goes up to 133 after a year at 125, and Nate steps in!

Nate? Who’s Nate?

I believe he was injured before the Henseilman match. I believe it actually occurred during the Northwestern match. Could be misremembering.

He was hurting big time against Heinselman and didn’t wrestle for a month afterwards.

I hope you’re wrong brother. I m going with top 3 worst case scenario next year barring an injury.

Reactions: honkey69
Based on his national performances in high school, and more importantly seeing HOW he wrestles (the eye test), it's clear that Ayala will very soon be challenging for NCAA titles. It's crystal clear to me, when watching wrestlers at either high school or college level, if they "have it." Not sure Ayala will be a 3-timer, but I'm convinced he'll be in one of the title favorites every year.

Said last year all he needed was more horsepower, so if that has improved he should be good to go
Probably after recovering and rehab from surgery he is only back to his old horsepower by now. He's got a year to really focus on getting stronger. He didn't look physically stronger to me when I saw him standing by Spencer. And, of course, there is no way for me to tell if you're strong when wrestling Spencer. I'd need to see him against foes from last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT