ADVERTISEMENT

***Big Ten Tournament Session II Thread***

Obviously, You do realize that only maybe a handful of the very best Iowa teams in history would be competitive with this PSU team, right?

Yes, it sucks. Yes, everyone should want more. I just say a lot of what I say because it could be a LOT worse…
Because we are losing on the mat and recruiting. We got lucky Strittmatter was an Iowa guy, or we would be in an even worse position.

Do you think we will ever have a shot at an Askren kid?

Reactions: Hawkgma
Obviously, You do realize that only maybe a handful of the very best Iowa teams in history would be competitive with this PSU team, right?

Yes, it sucks. Yes, everyone should want more. I just say a lot of what I say because it could be a LOT worse…
The program is too well supported financially and fan support that were not going to devolve into Illinois. Any coach with a pulse can put a top 10 team on the mat coaching at Iowa.

Reactions: MAGAman

Thats a real good point. I never thought of it like that but yes very true

Gobblin posts in nutshell: insult the person and ignore the issues.

Keep ignoring reality Gobblin. If you want to actually talk the sport, I’m happy to explain the issues to you again.
Oh I’m sure you are…. If you don’t think I’ve ever been critical of the program then you haven’t paid attention. I wrote a god damn diatribe of disgust YEARS ago and I believe that sparked the start of the inner circle thanks to a once great poster here(his handle is escaping me right now) who said “match me”.

Do you do anything to help the program? Honest question. Or does it just give tight underpants to bitch and moan on a message board?

This isn’t a conversation for me anyway…. My opinion doesn’t matter…. Just like yours.

319-335-9400. Call that if you really want to give someone your issues and solutions.. Or just keep sounding off on this message board. Spoiler alert…. I already know which one you’ll do.

Oh I’m sure you are…. If you don’t think I’ve ever been critical of the program then you haven’t paid attention. I wrote a god damn diatribe of disgust YEARS ago and I believe that sparked the start of the inner circle thanks to a once great poster here(his handle is escaping me right now) who said “match me”.

Do you do anything to help the program? Honest question. Or does it just give tight underpants to bitch and moan on a message board?

This isn’t a conversation for me anyway…. My opinion doesn’t matter…. Just like yours.

319-335-9400. Call that if you really want to give someone your issues and solutions.. Or just keep sounding off on this message board. Spoiler alert…. I already know which one you’ll do.
So that’s a no on actually talking about the issues.

What do you think is supposed to happen on a message board Gobblin? Why are you so passionate about defending Brands? Did he pat you on the back and call you “bud” a few times and now you’re just smitten? I’m not going to avoid discussing the issues with the wrestling team on a wrestling message board because you get so upset about it. Sorry Gobblin.

Yes, go donate to the inner circle so Daniel Dennis has a job. Giving your money to Bernie Madoff would give you a better return on investment.

So that’s a no on actually talking about the issues.

What do you think is supposed to happen on a message board Gobblin? Why are you so passionate about defending Brands? Did he pat you on the back and call you “bud” a few times and now you’re just smitten? I’m not going to avoid discussing the issues with the wrestling team on a wrestling message board because you get so upset about it. Sorry Gobblin.
No need to be sorry. I don’t give a crows cock what you do with your time. Knock yourself out…. A truly fruitful endeavor.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHERRYPICKED
Yes, go donate to the inner circle so Daniel Dennis has a job. Giving your money to Bernie Madoff would give you a better return on investment

Respect I Tell Ya GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

There is smoke on the over training, injuries, regression, not to mention the gambling nonsense.
Sometimes coaches stay too long.
Too much power, they get complacent.
See Fran and Kirk.
This seems to be an issue with Iowa. I'm sure other programs too.
If its not working, fix it.
Starting to babble, you guys have a good evening.
I've said enough. 😆

Yes----it feels like the Zalesky years....tool...

Reactions: SDHN2013
That round was unfortunately an all too familiar scenario of Iowa losing a lot of big matches. Only Glazier met the challenge. Sure we can do the whole we were not favored in those matches thing. The reality is our wrestlers way to often are just not good enough to win big matches. Why is that? Why are they underdogs much of the time? Iowa wrestling recruiting + coaching does not = top performing individuals very often and certainly not often enough for a program with the tradition this program has. Rounds like that have happened far to frequently. Zach Glazier saved Tom from not having a Big ten finalist for the first time since 1967. We always hear the same stuff about injuries and bad luck and it goes on and on and on. It's definitely not all bad luck.

There is smoke on the over training, injuries, regression, not to mention the gambling nonsense.
Sometimes coaches stay too long.
Too much power, they get complacent.
See Fran and Kirk.
This seems to be an issue with Iowa. I'm sure other programs too.
If its not working, fix it.
Starting to babble, you guys have a good evening.
I've said enough. 😆
You forgot the Ferrais....and Chittum...

you're claiming credit for the creation of the inner circle?

you're claiming credit for the creation of the inner circle?
Yep it did start on this website. Generated over 100,000 dollars. Preceded to hire Daniel Dennis with zero coaching experience to lead it. The hoodie and bumper sticker isn't enough for most fans to support it.

Reactions: SDHN2013
Honestly, it wouldn’t open anything at all. In fact, they clam up even more so with the lead and a 3 point takedown.

As a very defensive wrestler myself, I am truly speaking from experience. Volume Shooting simply isn’t the answer. Your best bet is a lot of head snaps and level changes to force them to react and maybe get out of position, but you better have a great gas tank because that is very draining and plays right into a super defensive wrestlers wheelhouse…

I did say something similar except today’s wrestlers are better than ever at holding position and Michigan has literally mastered it. Without a top notch gas tank, all that movement is going to be more draining on the aggressor than the defender.

Seriously, watch those Michigan guys. They are the ones fresher in OT and win so many of them. It’s crazy and it IS something that is coached there…

That’s fine. With the way they call stalling now, tiring someone out that’s just blocking off is the only way to beat a guy like that, especially if that guys athletic and flexible.

I was not a defensive wrestler. I was always on the attack. Most of the time it worked, and yes gas tank matters when you’re working for 7 minutes.

Defensive wrestling has certainly improved over the last 15 years, but basic principles remain the same. Theory of wrestling is always something I will openly discuss with anyone.
Both of you make good points.
Michigan reminds me of the old Okie State working the edge of the mat and the refs let them. I am not sure what happened there but they don’t wrestle like that any longer. Michigan has taken over.
I believe offensive wrestling is the answer. However, because of all the scrambling, it has to be clean finishes.
I absolutely hate guys getting shot on and the defender grabs a leg through the crotch, they go right to their ass and start lifting. This used to be a takedown for the guy taking the shot, not any longer. We should roll around more, twist knees and ankles.
Then you have all the Brands nay-sayers, all we do is heavy on the head and work to move the head and snap. MSU are you saying, if you’re in shape, this is how you beat defensive guys?

Reactions: TarpHawk
Both of you make good points.
Michigan reminds me of the old Okie State working the edge of the mat and the refs let them. I am not sure what happened there but they don’t wrestle like that any longer. Michigan has taken over.
I believe offensive wrestling is the answer. However, because of all the scrambling, it has to be clean finishes.
I absolutely hate guys getting shot on and the defender grabs a leg through the crotch, they go right to their ass and start lifting. This used to be a takedown for the guy taking the shot, not any longer. We should roll around more, twist knees and ankles.
Then you have all the Brands nay-sayers, all we do is heavy on the head and work to move the head and snap. MSU are you saying, if you’re in shape, this is how you beat defensive guys?
That, along with a bunch of level changes, feints and stone cold patience. You have to gradually work then into a position where they make a mistake, because that is actually what they are waiting for you to do and they are willing to wait a very long time…

The Michigan coaches hollering "go get it" a hundred times a match while their wrestlers have no intentions of shooting or attempting anything that resembles offense is both comical and annoying all in one.
My favorite is KJ announcing when each minute passes…. Or when he screams “win this!” Or when he’s screaming for stall call against Kennedy as he’s taking a shot. All while spraying saliva all over anyone within 10’ of him.

Last edited:
My favorite is KJ announcing when each minute passes…. Or when he screams “win this!” Or when he’s screaming for stall call against Kennedy as he’s taking a shot. All when spraying saliva all over anyone within 10’ of him.
Their strategy at every weight is go into overtime or the last 30 seconds tied 1-1 and get a last second takedown. I really don't know what pisses me off more, the fact that it is being allowed by the refs or the fact that it sets wrestling back because it is boring as hell to watch. Seeing half their lineup be successful doing this is just sickening to me and I would feel the same if the Hawks were doing the same thing.

The Michigan coaches hollering "go get it" a hundred times a match while their wrestlers have no intentions of shooting or attempting anything that resembles offense is both comical and annoying all in one.
Yeah, that’s the coaches doing their part in playing the refs, getting them to believe their guys are offensive.
As a referee, shouldn’t you have a time clock in your head telling you this guy hasn’t shot or even attempted to set anything up? Blocking with the head, dancing around the outside of the mat to stay in bounds, straight arming out of tie ups and the list goes on. They should all be stalling after 20-30 seconds.

Taylor would come if the money was right. He's a competitive sob. You know he was burned by not winning 4 natties. I'll guarantee you if you could see into his soul he is jacked about tying Caels Olympic gold medal and leading him 3-1 in world's.
He's going for Oly number 2 not only for himself but to bury Cael.
Wish we had a billionaire donor, throw a few mill at him, he would be here.
Jmo of course.
Not to mention that DT is a farmer.

No way in hell he majors O'Toole. The familiarity between those two won't allow that. those two have rolled thousands of times at AWA. I think he keeps it close, but O'Toole is so crafty.
I don't know the last time they rolled around, but MM has really improved these past few months. It may be a very different MM for KOT . Looking forward to it if it happens.

79a2857a-5ce7-4d7f-8cc1-642c9751fb22_text.gif

I just scanned the last few pages and saw that now Dan Dennis is responsible for Iowa’s inability to compete with PSU.

Just when I thought I’d heard it all.

Who’s next to blame, Jesse Donnenwerth?

"...smooth brain contingent..."

The status quo in Maryland is unfortunate, but the above comment is one I will find useful in upcoming (not on here) political discussions.

• Haha
Reactions: Trapper85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT