ADVERTISEMENT

B&W to Color TV

That looks like that's been colorized after the fact. It's still a cool moment, but I think that's been colorized for effect rather than an actual recording of the switchover as it actually looked.

That looks like that's been colorized after the fact. It's still a cool moment, but I think that's been colorized for effect rather than an actual recording of the switchover as it actually looked.
I’m certain it’s legit. I just don’t think color was that good back then.

Reactions: h-hawk
I don’t think so. Pretty sure this is legit.

I’m certain it’s legit. I just don’t think color was that good back then.

I have absolutely NOTHING To base this on but my eyes. This looks 100% the same as colorized black and white film. This is NOT what color looked like then. And this was in like 1968. This was not any kind of early color television broadcast...anything that looked like this in color in 1968 would look terrible.

For example, here's a video of random color broadcasts from 1958 to 1966 and those don't look colorized.

It has the same exact messed up yellowish skin tone and washed out details of colorized film.

christmas5.jpg

Here's a newscast that predates it, and it doesn't look colorized?

Also, how was this recorded exactly, what kind of equipment? The effect they are portraying is what you would have seen if you were watching this broadcast on a color television. It's legit in the sense that they switched over and people watching on color TVs at home would have seen it go to color. But I don't think this is actually capturing the color.

Also what exactly was this piece of film recorded on? It wasn't recorded on somebody's VCR. I guess somebody had a film camera aimed at a color television screen? This happened in every major market at some point, why was this the only station that supposedly recorded color appearing?

I still think somebody had this colorized, probably in the 1980s, to depict what it looked like to people at home.

TLDR: I'm just fvcking around here

I have absolutely NOTHING To base this on but my eyes. This looks 100% the same as colorized black and white film. This is NOT what color looked like then. And this was in like 1968. This was not any kind of early color television broadcast...anything that looked like this in color in 1968 would look terrible.

For example, here's a video of random color broadcasts from 1958 to 1966 and those don't look colorized.

It has the same exact messed up yellowish skin tone and washed out details of colorized film.

christmas5.jpg

Here's a newscast that predates it, and it doesn't look colorized?

Also, how was this recorded exactly, what kind of equipment? The effect they are portraying is what you would have seen if you were watching this broadcast on a color television. It's legit in the sense that they switched over and people watching on color TVs at home would have seen it go to color. But I don't think this is actually capturing the color.

Also what exactly was this piece of film recorded on? It wasn't recorded on somebody's VCR. I guess somebody had a film camera aimed at a color television screen? This happened in every major market at some point, why was this the only station that supposedly recorded color appearing?

I still think somebody had this colorized, probably in the 1980s, to depict what it looked like to people at home.

TLDR: I'm just fvcking around here
I highly doubt somebody went to the expense and trouble of colorizing a small snippet from a local station.

Video tape existed back then, and was in widespread use in the television industry. WMT likely recorded it and kept it in their archives. Tape quality deteriorates over time, which is probably why it looks funny to you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT