ADVERTISEMENT

B10 West scenarios

Feb 25, 2008
Only scenarios remaining that don't favor Iowa are:

Nebraska wins out/Iowa loses out

Or

Illinois wins out/Iowa loses out/Nebraska loses to Wisconsin

Minnesota winning out wouldn't be favorable to Iowa, but the Gophers play Ohio State, which IS favorable to us. :)

The only scenario where we can still backdoor into the CCG ala 2021 is if Nebraska loses to Wisconsin and Illinois loses to Northwestern. (And OSU doesn't f***ing choke)

P.S. The game tomorrow, even with Cooper's injury, still has a 2004 Iowa-Wisconsin feel to it. This is technically a B10 West Division championship game (or at least the first leg).

040a7f8b-ac99-4068-9936-9d0440407dda_text.gif
You poor simple non-sports savvy bastard. You have my pity. :)

The only scenario where we can still backdoor into the CCG ala 2021
We didn't "back-door" into the CCG in 2021; we won our last game and Wisconsin didn't; that's not "backing-in."

If Iowa loses their last two games this season and still ends up in the BTCG, that would be the very definition of backing-in.

I suspect this will all be a moot point when Iowa beats Illinois tomorrow. This team is hitting its version of their stride right now. Perfect timing. Sucks about Cooper....but we are in a much better position to play without him then previously. Hawks 24, Illini 13.

Or

First off this is what happens when so called stronger, improving teams like Maryland in mid-season lose at home to a struggling Illinois team. Winning the West can be had by winning more crossover games than your competitors. I was slightly shocked when Maryland choked up that game and Locksley seems to not be able to get his team playing disciplined, tough football.

The hawks wouldnt have to worry about Illinois except for their comeback against the twerps. But the Hawks still want to win this game tomorrow to lock it up.

And of course Iowa stubbed its own toes in the Minny game.

so can someone layout exactly what needs to happen for iowa to go to ccg after dropping the next two?

First off this is what happens when so called stronger, improving teams like Maryland in mid-season lose at home to a struggling Illinois team. Winning the West can be had by winning more crossover games than your competitors. I was slightly shocked when Maryland choked up that game and Locksley seems to not be able to get his team playing disciplined, tough football.

The hawks wouldnt have to worry about Illinois except for their comeback against the twerps. But the Hawks still want to win this game tomorrow to lock it up.

And of course Iowa stubbed its own toes in the Minny game.
iu

Imagine it gets magnified and basically that call were to keep us from the CFP!!!

I know its all fantasy land, but that minute possibility still exists.
All Iowa had to do was drive a measley 25 yards to be in FG range. Or get a FG at any other time in the game. The Hawks scored 10 points. Ten.

Let's hope the inability of the offense to get just one FG doesn't end up costing Iowa a spot in the BTCG again, like it did last year.

Read my OP and don't worry about the teams we've already beaten.............
It gets complicated fast, if we have a four-way tie at 5-4 with IA, IL, NE, and MN or WI. It wouldn't be pretty for IA as they'd have record of 1-2 against the tied teams.

Edit: not possible for WI to be part of a four-way tie with NE... my brain hurts too much to work out all the possible 3 and 4 way tie scenarios... MN could creep in, but unlikely having to play at OSU. NUY still has a shot at 5-4. Math will be much easier after tomorrow!

Last edited:
Imagine it gets magnified and basically that call were to keep us from the CFP!!!

I know its all fantasy land, but that minute possibility still exists.
Certainly does. And I have thought about it. F booth official. Ken Kuester I believe.

As this week’s game gets closer, the feeling that we’re going to lose the next two games keeps getting stronger.
I’ve seen this movie too many times to not anticipate the ending.
Frankly I feel the opposite. I think this team gets tougher and tighter with each week. It will be a great day tomorrow in my estimation. Our guys have heard enough of the crap and now too many “fans” think we can’t win without Cooper. I just believe they will be focused. Hey….it may not be a thing of beauty but the good guys win.

Or

Minnesota winning out wouldn't be favorable to Iowa, but the Gophers play Ohio State, which IS favorable to us. :)

The only scenario where we can still backdoor into the CCG ala 2021 is if Nebraska loses to Wisconsin and Illinois loses to Northwestern. (And OSU doesn't f***ing choke)

P.S. The game tomorrow, even with Cooper's injury, still has a 2004 Iowa-Wisconsin feel to it. This is technically a B10 West Division championship game (or at least the first leg).
EvilMonkey, this is fine work.

All Iowa had to do was drive a measley 25 yards to be in FG range. Or get a FG at any other time in the game. The Hawks scored 10 points. Ten.

Let's hope the inability of the offense to get just one FG doesn't end up costing Iowa a spot in the BTCG again, like it did last year.
It’s not about that game any more. That is fan talk….not player talk. It’s all about tomorrow and I love our chances to clinch tomorrow.

It gets complicated fast, if we have a four-way tie at 5-4 with IA, IL, NE, and MN or WI. It wouldn't be pretty for IA as they'd have record of 1-2 against the tied teams.

Edit: not possible for WI to be part of a four-way tie with NE... my brain hurts too much to work out all the possible 3 and 4 way tie scenarios... MN could creep in, but unlikely having to play at OSU. NUY still has a shot at 5-4. Math will be much easier after tomorrow!
If they have a 4-way tie with 4 losses, they should all stay home.
Mean Girls Ok GIF by filmeditor

Or

I don't understand an Iowa fan diminishing the West title in 2021. The three best teams in the West that year were Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa. In the 3 games involving those teams they each were 1-1. The difference was Iowa beat Penn State at home while Wisconsin lost to Penn State at home. Iowa did not back in!!!

Frankly I feel the opposite. I think this team gets tougher and tighter with each week. It will be a great day tomorrow in my estimation. Our guys have heard enough of the crap and now too many “fans” think we can’t win without Cooper. I just believe they will be focused. Hey….it may not be a thing of beauty but the good guys win.
I sure hope you're right. I've just had that rug pulled out from underneath my feet too many times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT