ADVERTISEMENT

B10 West scenarios

I don't understand an Iowa fan diminishing the West title in 2021. The three best teams in the West that year were Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa. In the 3 games involving those teams they each were 1-1. The difference was Iowa beat Penn State at home while Wisconsin lost to Penn State at home. Iowa did not back in!!!
I'm not diminishing it any more than Iowa did to themselves with the degeneration of their offense by the end of the season, that translated into what we got in 2022 and 2023...............

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
It gets complicated fast, if we have a four-way tie at 5-4 with IA, IL, NE, and MN or WI. It wouldn't be pretty for IA as they'd have record of 1-2 against the tied teams.

Edit: not possible for WI to be part of a four-way tie with NE... my brain hurts too much to work out all the possible 3 and 4 way tie scenarios... MN could creep in, but unlikely having to play at OSU. NUY still has a shot at 5-4. Math will be much easier after tomorrow!
I already explained it. Just assume Ohio State won't be chicken sh**s and intentionally choke against Minnesota and it'll all be fine.

My honest feeling is that Iowa is a more solid team in all 3 phases than the next 2 teams they face and that is without Cooper. We know that our punter is better than theirs and our place kicker. Sucks to lose Cooper returning punts but seriously if anybody punted to him they would be stupid anyway at this point. Defensively we are superior to both teams as well and on offense we run the ball better than both. Illinois may have a better passing game, but, if they can't run the ball their passing game, even without Cooper is going to be tough sledding because I bet Phil is going to zone them up all day long and make him hit windows. Illinois is not disciplined enough, especially on defense, but offense as well so the likelihood of them sustaining 15+ play drives is very low.

With both teams the recipe for success is still the same. Run the ball, don't turn it over, play field position, sit on them and capitalize on mistakes. We win.

I think we win them both. I think we take it to Illinois early and it will be in hand all game, while, Nebraska I think they hang around for a half but then we wear them down and they make mistakes they can't overcome.

I'm not diminishing it any more than Iowa did to themselves with the degeneration of their offense by the end of the season
That doesn't explain why you feel they backed into the 2021 Championship game?? Who else deserved it more?
This is so dumb. Iowa DID NOT BACK IN to their division win 2 seasons ago. You don't "back in" to a championship by winning your last 4 games of the regular season. "Backing in" to a championship is what happens when a team is in control, blows it, but gets rewarded anyway because other teams couldn't take advantage. It is not meant to describe a team that won but needed another game to go a certain way, nor does it mean that a team didn't "deserve it" overall.

Backing in is what Iowa did in 1990 (Lost final game, which cost them the outright B1G championship but they still clinched a tie and the Rose Bowl because Ohio St couldn't beat Michigan). Had Purdue lost to Indiana the final game of last season, Iowa would have been considered backing in to the division championship. And as I said earlier in this thread, should Iowa lose both their final two games this season but still get to go to Indianapolis somehow, that would be a major back-in (probably to the point that they shouldn't even show up, frankly).

Not winning games and needing others to lose is the very definition of backing in. It's not my fault that you choose to be antagonistically optimistic.
I think the point is we have won games to put us into this position so it isn't backing in unless you are only counting the last two games. Not antagonistically optimistic just acknowledging you play an entire season to win the division. Even crazier was when people said the Iowa wrestling team backed into the national title a few years by not winning an individual championship.

I think the point is we have won games to put us into this position so it isn't backing in unless you are only counting the last two games. Not antagonistically optimistic just acknowledging you play an entire season to win the division. Even crazier was when people said the Iowa wrestling team backed into the national title a few years by not winning an individual championship.
It'd be a lot easier if you, and everyone else, just assumed I knew what I was talking about. It'd save so many of you the headache of trying to understand why I'm right (key word being understand..........) :)

As for wrestling, I agree with you that it's because people don't understand how wrestling works.

It'd be a lot easier if you, and everyone else, just assumed I knew what I was talking about. It'd save so many of you the headache of trying to understand why I'm right (key word being understand..........) :)

As for wrestling, I agree with you that it's because people don't understand how wrestling works.
You could benefit from understanding. You never back in to a championship. You win it all season long! That was my point. Understand?

Frankly I feel the opposite. I think this team gets tougher and tighter with each week. It will be a great day tomorrow in my estimation. Our guys have heard enough of the crap and now too many “fans” think we can’t win without Cooper. I just believe they will be focused. Hey….it may not be a thing of beauty but the good guys win.
Good call about it not being a thing of beauty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT